What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s definitely a big difference in taste profile.

Yeah, it sure is, I like both but in a related story from the not so distant past I was actually disappointed when Barrell switched from their run of really good Dickel barrels to MGP for batch 10. I didn't even think to look at the source on the bottle when I picked it up, I was actually a little pissed I spent $70 on 8 year old MGP considering there were much cheaper alternatives at the time. I'm looking forward to cracking the 13 year SAOS when I get back in game shape, even more so since most of them are low barrel proofs, I think the highest I bought was 105ish and the lowest was 94.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

FYI these 13 years are Dickel sourced rather than MGP.

So bummed about that :-(

Yeah, it sure is, I like both but in a related story from the not so distant past I was actually disappointed when Barrell switched from their run of really good Dickel barrels to MGP for batch 10. I didn't even think to look at the source on the bottle when I picked it up, I was actually a little pissed I spent $70 on 8 year old MGP considering there were much cheaper alternatives at the time. I'm looking forward to cracking the 13 year SAOS when I get back in game shape, even more so since most of them are low barrel proofs, I think the highest I bought was 105ish and the lowest was 94.

There’s a fairly new NDP in my area called Blue Note that has been able to get a lot of well aged Dickel...9yrs to over 14yrs. Breaking Bourbon has profiled a local store labeled bourbon that is called Doc 52 that was sourced from Blue Note, which means it’s Dickel sourced too. Some of the private selection barrels of Blue Note that I’ve been picking up from a few local stores (one close to 10yrs and two that are close to 14yrs) have been really good...priced from $60 to $70 retail depending on the age.

17 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

So bummed about that ?

For the time being there are still other sources for MGP obviously they aren't priced as well as SAOS was a few years back.

Just now, kevinbrink said:

For the time being there are still other sources for MGP obviously they aren't priced as well as SAOS was a few years back.

Yeah, I know, tried a few, same stuff anyway, but l really dig the SAOS bottling. I’m a marketing whore for sure. 

Speaking of MGP, just had some WP 10yr (13yr MGP), quite a treat. Thx a lot to a SB member for hooking me up. Now, I’m enjoying some ‘17 GTS, but I’m not in the right section to discuss this. 

Anyway, cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 1

Was in Japan last week and picked these up.

Planning on doing a side by side tasting with friends of the various Blantons bottles.  

bourbon.jpg

• I like it 5

33 minutes ago, vismatt said:

Planning on doing a side by side tasting with friends of the various Blantons bottles.  

bourbon.jpg

What is the Balaton's bottle top left?

Blanton's black.  It is 80 proof, and according to a lot of reviews it is not great, but I couldn't pass it up for $35.  

• I like it 1

A new bottled in bond from a local distillery.  And a new(to me) bottle with a fancy label. Looking forward to opening both before long. 

5F6A63D4-4B85-4B30-BF19-C57DC210E1C6.jpeg

7296220F-4258-4B55-9853-DB31F93EC5D2.jpeg

• I like it 3

57 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

A new bottled in bond from a local distillery.

Curious to get your thoughts on this. Good to see the BIB designation from a local craft outfit.

I’m ready for retirement and bourbon cream in my coffee.

I usually have a bottle of the local Orphan Girl on hand for those duties, but the Mary Hite was pretty tasty.

I usually have a bottle of the local Orphan Girl on hand for those duties, but the Mary Hite was pretty tasty.

Had to google Orphan Girl and found this.

IMG_6491.JPG.c3f43d10452c56aabc656993dad66bf2.JPG

Also I’ve realized from google Orhan Girl and everything you’ve ever wanted is at the Paddock Springs, KY location of Total Wine.

5 hours ago, vismatt said:

bourbon.jpg

AAA 8yr? Haven't seen that before. Do you know if that's available as a standard item?

A new bottled in bond from a local distillery.  And a new(to me) bottle with a fancy label. Looking forward to opening both before long. 

5F6A63D4-4B85-4B30-BF19-C57DC210E1C6.thumb.jpeg.4c30f93dc2d6a7267edb3089e4d41df5.jpeg
7296220F-4258-4B55-9853-DB31F93EC5D2.thumb.jpeg.70d4008a6ecb58efeaa09b2391c05b8b.jpeg

What’s the Blanton’s, kind of looks like Maison Du Whisky bottling.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

What’s the Blanton’s, kind of looks like Maison Du Whisky bottling.

Its just standard Single Barrel. Special label for a Polish festival. 

bourbon.thumb.jpg.56835ad829b07f336cc9f48f2463afd7.jpg

Very nice.

Ancient Age 8yr, very interesting.

How available are the Ancient Age 8yr and EW12yr? If there somewhat available and not diaries from the early 2000s may I ask what they tend to sell for?

I have a Japanese coworker and he keeps asking what to look for and I keep mentioning stuff like Virgin 15yr and 12yr Yellow Rose of Texas. Old Allied Lamar bottlings that are ghosts instead of something he might be able to find.

I’ll be damned if this 1792 FP might be the best one I’ve had.  Me & one of my customers had to crack it open to try it out ;)

75870C08-0A17-451E-9898-7904DAC8880C.jpeg

Had to google Orphan Girl and found this.

IMG_6491.JPG.c3f43d10452c56aabc656993dad66bf2.JPG

Also I’ve realized from google Orhan Girl and everything you’ve ever wanted is at the Paddock Springs, KY location of Total Wine.

A dirty girl is tasty, for a sweet party drink that you won’t have all that often. Another local distillery does a drink in their tasting room that’s basically the same only their coffee cream liquor and cream soda.

11 hours ago, Vosgar said:

AAA 8yr? Haven't seen that before. Do you know if that's available as a standard item?

I had never seen it before and there isn't a lot of information online about it.  Seems to be a Japan only release.  Only saw one bottle while I was in Japan, and my father in law is a big Ancient Age fan, so I had to pick it up for him.  

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Very nice.

Ancient Age 8yr, very interesting.

How available are the Ancient Age 8yr and EW12yr? If there somewhat available and not diaries from the early 2000s may I ask what they tend to sell for?

I have a Japanese coworker and he keeps asking what to look for and I keep mentioning stuff like Virgin 15yr and 12yr Yellow Rose of Texas. Old Allied Lamar bottlings that are ghosts instead of something he might be able to find.

I only saw one bottle of the Ancient Age and there wasn't much info about it online, so it may not be a current release, but I did see EW12 at a few stores.  The AA was around $25 and the EW was around $35 or so.  Blantons red (according to online reviews it is a Japan only release with a minimum 8 year age statement) and Blantons black were pretty readily available, and I saw Four Roses super premium at a few places.  Would have liked to have brought back one of the Four Roses, but I ran out of room.  Also saw lots of Wild Turkey 8 year and 13 year if you are a Wild Turkey fan.  

12 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Its just standard Single Barrel. Special label for a Polish festival. 

The regular single barrel is usually lower proof, proof wise this is the same as Gold no?

One bourbon and one rye... I have a few 1920’s already but the price at TW is just too good right now. $46.99

6595AC70-E5E3-495D-993F-F110C619B20F.jpeg

5 hours ago, vismatt said:

I had never seen it before and there isn't a lot of information online about it.  Seems to be a Japan only release.  Only saw one bottle while I was in Japan, and my father in law is a big Ancient Age fan, so I had to pick it up for him.  

Bring it to the Sampler in Bardstown next month, I'll bring an AAA 10yr, and we'll do a side by side tasting!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.