What Bourbon did you purchase today (Winter 2018)

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Purchased 1.75L of Buffalo Trace and 1792 Small Batch 750 ml. 

IMG_0166.JPG

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Scarfinger68 said:

Purchased 1.75L of Buffalo Trace and 1792 Small Batch 750 ml. 

IMG_0166.JPG

I’ll take a shot of each and a bowl of that Chef Boyardee! Love me some ‘sgettio’s! :) Rock on!

8 minutes ago, hollywood said:

I’ll take a shot of each and a bowl of that Chef Boyardee! Love me some ‘sgettio’s! :) Rock on!

I can't part with the chef boyardee lasagna! It is my wife's. But you are welcome to the bourbon :)

Edited by Scarfinger68

2 minutes ago, Scarfinger68 said:

I can't part with the chef boyardee ravioli! It is my wife's. But you are welcome to the bourbon :)

I don’t know whether to be thankful and impressed or offended. Lol, welcome to SB.. Enjoy. ;) 

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

Picked up this OF SiB ABC store pick this evening. I opted after they were out of the OF 1920 that I went in for.. Mid $40’s here which appears to be a good value for what others in said class run.. Take for a spin this weekend however.. 

7973F3DF-07A6-4621-B9C0-5275BC282AB3.jpeg

Do we have another Alabamian in here?

1792 bib and a dusty old Fitzgerald from the bottom shelf. $15 downtown Chicago for the OF!

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

1792 bib and a dusty old Fitzgerald from the bottom shelf. $15 downtown Chicago for the OF!

I also picked up a 1792 BIB tonight. Looking forward to cracking it open.

Was the Old Fitzgerald also the BIB or the regular 80 proof?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I’d wager it wasn’t BIB at $15. 

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I’d wager it wasn’t BIB at $15. 

8 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Supercharger is correct, 80 proof

also seen a Henry McKenna BIB but chose the more budget friendly OF

Left a Johnny Drum and Old Bardstown on the shelf as well..... kinda kicking myself

as well as a Bookers Teresa batch. Don’t know much about the whole bookers line but may go back for one today. 

18 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Don’t know much about the whole bookers line but may go back for one today. 

Unless you are talking about the 30th commemorative, Little Book  or the rye, there isn’t much of a “Booker’s Line.” Afficianados may notice some small variations in the batches, but most won’t unless doing a SBS and even then it will be tough. One of Booker’s best qualities is that the various named batches are all very consistent. Buy a bottle and enjoy without giving the batch much thought. 

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Supercharger is correct, 80 proof

also seen a Henry McKenna BIB but chose the more budget friendly OF

Left a Johnny Drum and Old Bardstown on the shelf as well..... kinda kicking myself

as well as a Bookers Teresa batch. Don’t know much about the whole bookers line but may go back for one today. 

I wouldn’t worry much about passing on the Johnny Drum or Old Bardstown. They can be found easily at Binny’s in Chicagoland area.  Johnny Drum is one where I’ve had excellent bottles, and others that are just meh. 

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Unless you are talking about the 30th commemorative, Little Book  or the rye, there isn’t much of a “Booker’s Line.” Afficianados may notice some small variations in the batches, but most won’t unless doing a SBS and even then it will be tough. One of Booker’s best qualities is that the various named batches are all very consistent. Buy a bottle and enjoy without giving the batch much thought. 

I agree with this.  I actually put it to a test a couple years ago in a blind SBS with 4 different batches, and was surprised how similar they all tasted.  The older batches were a little less hot, but they all had very similar taste profiles.  I think it's possibly a waste of time to chase different batches (although it can be fun, so there's nothing wrong with it, lol)

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I agree with this.  I actually put it to a test a couple years ago in a blind SBS with 4 different batches, and was surprised how similar they all tasted.  The older batches were a little less hot, but they all had very similar taste profiles.  I think it's possibly a waste of time to chase different batches (although it can be fun, so there's nothing wrong with it, lol)

I am long on record saying that the switch to naming the batches was an effort to up the hype and to get the completists out there to buy a bottle of every batch and to "collect".

Generally speaking, Booker's is Booker's.

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, flahute said:

I am long on record saying that the switch to naming the batches was an effort to up the hype and to get the completists out there to buy a bottle of every batch and to "collect".

Generally speaking, Booker's is Booker's.

Hafta agree.   Unless one were to take ALL of the batches over the years and choose two that were furthest apart in profile, one would be hard pressed to find significant differences from batch to batch . . . at least that has been the experience of my taste buddies with about half the batches, which is all I've owned (up 'til the ludicrous price increase; since then: none except the 30th Anniversary).    This not to say any were 'bad', nor that there weren't a special few, because a couple were just that little bit richer in caramel or in vanilla for me.    As to those folx who simply must have those completed sets; I understand; it's just not the reason I buy Bourbon.

• I like it 1

Not exactly a purchase but happy to have added one of these even if it is short 50ml 

y4mNA53fXPrzNgxetKtxhVzYYgfJOB_Za76SvFBG

• I like it 5

I had quick work trip in Austin and found 3 1792 BIB SB store picks...also grabbed a Garrison Brothers Balmorhea.  No damage in checked bag...success!

Side note....I have never seen so much Weller's SR.  1.75's were everywhere and about $31-35 each.

52 minutes ago, callingtom said:

I had quick work trip in Austin and found 3 1792 BIB SB store picks...also grabbed a Garrison Brothers Balmorhea.  No damage in checked bag...success!

Side note....I have never seen so much Weller's SR.  1.75's were everywhere and about $31-35 each.

I hope some of those become available a bit north of there.

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Not exactly a purchase but happy to have added one of these even if it is short 50ml 

y4mNA53fXPrzNgxetKtxhVzYYgfJOB_Za76SvFBG

It still tastes the same.  The one I picked up is also missing 50 mL.

• I like it 2

I’m ecstatic over 2 buys yesterday; a BM SiB 9 yr and a PS WTKS. The clerk found the BM hiding in the back a week ago. They had 2 other well aged MGP products on the shelf; Redemption 9 yr and Chicken Cock 10 yr @ $90 each. The BM was $60.

The other reason I’m pleased is after less than stellar WTKS buys in the past this one is excellent; easily the best I’ve bought. 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I’m ecstatic over 2 buys yesterday; a BM SiB 9 yr and a PS WTKS. The clerk found the BM hiding in the back a week ago. They had 2 other well aged MGP products on the shelf; Redemption 9 yr and Chicken Cock 10 yr @ $90 each. The BM was $60.

The other reason I’m pleased is after less than stellar WTKS buys in the past this one is excellent; easily the best I’ve bought. 

Specs on the ‘Turkey?

4 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Hah. I have one of those. Barrel 9, IIRC. 

Lucky barrel 13 here. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.