flahute

Bourbon year end 2018 - State of the State.

kevinbrink
6 hours ago, flahute said:

So far on this thread I've been doing a good job of not explaining myself fully and you've been doing a good job of interpreting my intent. So thanks!

I was focused on the bourbons, yes. Totally agree with them competing with themselves trying to pass off extra aged KC as premium while also selling a ton of 13-15yr KC single barrels.

Putting that stuff in a Booker's bottle with extra age and at barrel proof would be a barnstormer for them.

Interesting point about Turkey. I recently read an interview with Eddie where he said that the Turkey expressions currently on the market are Jimmy's creations whereas the Russell's expressions are Eddie's. Eddie didn't want to mess with his father's legacy brands so the Russell's brand was created when Eddie became master distiller so he could experiment with new ideas, and, rye - which Jimmy doesn't like. Bruce is the one that really pushes the rye so your last idea is spot on. For Jimmy, it would likely be a special Turkey release. Eddie would keep doing Russell's. 

Maybe we could get a gig with Campari in their marketing dept!

• I like it 1

Kepler
2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Maybe we could get a gig with Campari in their marketing dept!

Don't you dare put in your applications without including me too!

• I like it 2

Bbstout
9 hours ago, flahute said:

So far on this thread I've been doing a good job of not explaining myself fully and you've been doing a good job of interpreting my intent. So thanks!

I was focused on the bourbons, yes. Totally agree with them competing with themselves trying to pass off extra aged KC as premium while also selling a ton of 13-15yr KC single barrels.

Putting that stuff in a Booker's bottle with extra age and at barrel proof would be a barnstormer for them.

Interesting point about Turkey. I recently read an interview with Eddie where he said that the Turkey expressions currently on the market are Jimmy's creations whereas the Russell's expressions are Eddie's. Eddie didn't want to mess with his father's legacy brands so the Russell's brand was created when Eddie became master distiller so he could experiment with new ideas, and, rye - which Jimmy doesn't like. Bruce is the one that really pushes the rye so your last idea is spot on. For Jimmy, it would likely be a special Turkey release. Eddie would keep doing Russell's. 

Bruce loves rye from his influence from Dave Pickerell. His little book batch 2 is a very interesting Rye blend.

JCwhammie
2 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Bruce loves rye from his influence from Dave Pickerell. His little book batch 2 is a very interesting Rye blend.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but little Book isn't from the Russells (WT). It's Fred Noe's release at JB. 

Bbstout
22 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but little Book isn't from the Russells (WT). It's Fred Noe's release at JB. 

Your right. Got names mixed up.