Empty bottle(s) support group ~ 2019

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since I started it last year, I figured I’d kick it off this year.  :)

Saved the last swig of this bottle for today.  It’s a 2015.  Been working on it slowly for special occasions over the last few years, and decided it was time to end it. 

Happy New Year to all the great members of this forum!

Lets kick 2019 off right...

666AFF6A-C1DC-41CC-8C91-BA3BC50413A1.jpeg

• I like it 7

Finished off an OGD BIB and decided to replace it with WT 101 for a few days instead of sticking with OGD next to my chair.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Finished off an OGD BIB and decided to replace it with WT 101 for a few days instead of sticking with OGD next to my chair.

Harry, a bunkered 101 or a recent purchase?

14 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

First trunk find of the new year?  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Recent; October 2018 IIRC.  Starting sometime in 2016, the then-available WT 101s just didn't do it for me so I dropped it from my "daily" BIB/100+ rotation and started drinking up the bunkered 101 but only on occasion as I only had three dating from about 2012.  I finished off my last bunkered WT 101 a couple of years ago and just didn't buy replacements). Then, in mid-2018, I hit some really good RR SiBs so decided to try the 101 (in spite of the $3 per 750 price increase hahaha) figuring that the basic was not being cannibalized for RR or even WTRB.  I found it comparable in taste and satisfaction, at least as I remembered it, to the pre-2015 rotation 101.  I don't drink it "daily" but I now am sure to have one or two spares around at all times.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Recent; October 2018 IIRC.  Starting sometime in 2016, the then-available WT 101s just didn't do it for me so I dropped it from my "daily" BIB/100+ rotation and started drinking up the bunkered 101 but only on occasion as I only had three dating from about 2012.  I finished off my last bunkered WT 101 a couple of years ago and just didn't buy replacements). Then, in mid-2018, I hit some really good RR SiBs so decided to try the 101 (in spite of the $3 per 750 price increase hahaha) figuring that the basic was not being cannibalized for RR or even WTRB.  I found it comparable in taste and satisfaction, at least as I remembered it, to the pre-2015 rotation 101.  I don't drink it "daily" but I now am sure to have one or two spares around at all times.

AN UPDATE!  Rose Bowl 2019 -- WASH kicked a FG, and OSU is on the WASH 11 yard line.  HENCE, my WT 101 is in Serious Jeopardy, and I don't even care who is playing, let alone who wins.  In other words - if you have not tried the current WT 101 bourbon, you might want to pick one up as it is at least as drinkable as the 2012.  ASIDE - all this makes a good story, but I know my limitations.  Just saying - mostly, I'm suffering from cabin fever what with all the rain and 40s temps we've had lately, and SB.com is a WONderful outlet for these bottled-up emotions.B)

• I like it 5

Kinda glad to get this shelf hog off my liquor cabinet.  That wood box occupies the space of two ER10 type bottles!

anyway, I saved two sample jars for the future and poured the remainder in my Woodford glass to honor Lincoln (Henderson, not the guy on a penny). 

It’s a 2015 edition for those curious. 

Fine on it’s own, but much better with a piece of chocolate.  I’m using dark chocolate Hershey kisses.

Cheers!

56A3CC9B-13D2-48F5-BC79-A57B1E4A49CC.jpeg

• I like it 1

I’m happy to see these two go. I was hoping the Belle Meade Reserve would be a replacement for SAOS. I agree with others that this tastes more like Dickle than good MGP. The OEBP was just odd to me. Not horrible for the price but not going to rush to open the bunkered bottle.

IMG_0345.jpg

14 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Kinda glad to get this shelf hog off my liquor cabinet.  That wood box occupies the space of two ER10 type bottles!

anyway, I saved two sample jars for the future and poured the remainder in my Woodford glass to honor Lincoln (Henderson, not the guy on a penny). 

It’s a 2015 edition for those curious. 

Fine on it’s own, but much better with a piece of chocolate.  I’m using dark chocolate Hershey kisses.

Cheers!

56A3CC9B-13D2-48F5-BC79-A57B1E4A49CC.jpeg

Nice on the chocolate pairing.  I don’t go looking for pairings, but when the right chocolate hits the right whiskey, Whoa Nellie!!  I had one of those pairings over the Holidays, but damn if I can remember either...Kinda tells you how my Holidays went...  :D

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, mfly86 said:

I’m happy to see these two go. I was hoping the Belle Meade Reserve would be a replacement for SAOS. I agree with others that this tastes more like Dickle than good MGP. The OEBP was just odd to me. Not horrible for the price but not going to rush to open the bunkered bottle.

IMG_0345.jpg

Does it say Indiana or Tennessee on back. I know your bottle may be gone but did you happen to check?

53 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Does it say Indiana or Tennessee on back. I know your bottle may be gone but did you happen to check?

My understanding is the Reserve is MGP too but the barrels weren’t qualified to be SiBs so they batched them. 

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

It says Indiana on the label. 

17 hours ago, mfly86 said:

IMG_0345.jpg

I really enjoy the OE. It's a rich tasting pour with all the great bourbon attributes of some brown sugar, vanilla, sweet corn, and oak. Nothing spectacular but I think it's really solid and drinks below its proof. Was well worth the $40.

Clueby, you should really think about bringing the family down the river to Memphis one weekend. You'd probably be a kid in the candy store to see what our shelves are lined with. One example I'm thinking of is a large store display of CEHT SmB at $37. The Stagg Jr is tougher but available. Green Weller everywhere, and a couple of stores with barrels of OWA still have stock after 3 weeks? Most quality stores will have your MGP favs-BM & SAOS on the shelf. Same store with the CEHT has two different SPs of RRSiB.

Say hi to Elvis too.

56 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_4418.jpg

Last pour from a Bowman Brothers while grilling some Friday Night Brats.

More like last 3 pours in that Glencairn :) Damn that combo looks good.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_4418.jpg

Last pour from a Bowman Brothers while grilling some Friday Night Brats.

Mr. Martin, you have had one fine day.  

• I like it 1

Finished up an ER. I had no idea this was a hot commodity. Figured if it was available at the ABC it was available everywhere. I feel special. :) 

15 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Another bottle of the house favorite says goodbye. 

5A916571-7CB3-416E-A605-8010FDE4A283.jpeg

I’m a big fan of this one, too.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m a big fan of this one, too.  

Ohhhh noooo.......

My last two bottles of that were hot messes so I've written it off. Now you come along and say that.

I'm doomed.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Ohhhh noooo.......

My last two bottles of that were hot messes so I've written it off. Now you come along and say that.

I'm doomed.

Do I sense a crack in the brotherhood? :D

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.