Empty bottle(s) support group ~ 2019

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good riddance!

I wanted to like it, but I can't get on board.  It's just too thin, for my palate.

I snagged a few bottles, at the Naval package store when I visited my folks.

At $19.99 per bottle, I bought four.  After trying it, I instantly had buyers remorse and gave away a couple bottles. I used the rest in recipes and cocktails. 

20190519_140216.jpg

20190519_130600.jpg

• I like it 1

Man down!  I am going to miss this one. Gotta warm up for GoT tonight. 

7A2279E7-6625-4882-AF80-D18687293610.jpeg

• I like it 1

This little guy made me realize I loved a rye whisky. Single barrel ryediculous, very tasty. Looking for more... 20190519_191638.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Oli77 said:

This little guy made me realize I loved a rye whisky. Single barrel ryediculous, very tasty. Looking for more... 

That Peerless is a fine and tasty rye, I just wish they sold for $25 or $30/750.    They ask so damned much... and they keep getting it, so I suppose that it will never be reasonable.    Ah, well. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

This little guy made me realize I loved a rye whisky. Single barrel ryediculous, very tasty. Looking for more... 20190519_191638.thumb.jpg.cd212cc1658be80a875a08f11dc401c2.jpg

What’s the age on the bottle you have?

That Peerless is a fine and tasty rye, I just wish they sold for $25 or $30/750.    They ask so damned much... and they keep getting it, so I suppose that it will never be reasonable.    Ah, well. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Rich how does it lineup with other eyes you like, believe I recall you posting about WT101 and perhaps others, may be confusing you with another poster.

29 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

What’s the age on the bottle you have?

That is 3 year old rye and it is very tasty. Well rounded, with some depth, flowery, sweet, licorice, very nice bottle. Not sure I can find more of that barrel. 

58 minutes ago, Oli77 said:

That is 3 year old rye and it is very tasty. Well rounded, with some depth, flowery, sweet, licorice, very nice bottle. Not sure I can find more of that barrel. 

I picked up a 200ml 3 year at Liquor Barn in Louisville.  I had been avoiding the full bottle at my local in OKC at $115 for the 2 year. Just too danged much $$$, despite my love of ryes.  I have no problem spending $50 for the WFE 4 year Rye, but $115 for 2 year, no thanks. Then I saw the little 200 ml bottle for $26 and decided to try for that lower entry cost despite the per ml cost being same. I have not opened yet, but I am a little scared it'll make me want to buy a full bottle at that ridiculous price. 

• I like it 1

Bottle of Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye ran out of juice this evening watching the end of the PGA. It was a good bottle and happy to have enjoyed it. Just not sure if I want to invest in another one just yet.

11 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Rich how does it lineup with other eyes you like, believe I recall you posting about WT101 and perhaps others, may be confusing you with another poster.

You are likely confusing me (about WT Rye) with someone else, HoustonNit.    I am not a big fan, nor 'collector' of rye whiskeys.    I do, however own a half-dozen or more straight ryes, and have owned (or at least tasted) maybe that many others.   Wild Turkey rye isn't one (at least my poor memory doesn't show it...Ha!) 

But, to offer some perspective from my meager experience, I'd rate Peerless in the top 3-or 4-straight ryes I've had for quality of the experience.   Number one has to be TH Handy, I think.    The next few are very close in my overall enjoyment hierarchy; WFE 4-year, a small sample I had of the recent JD, and Peerless. 

If I were to factor in the cost/enjoyment ratio Peerless may drop out of contention though, and THH may drop to the second tier even.   Being a confirmed old curmudgeon when it comes to my wallet, I have a hard time over-paying for anything; even if the experience that may purchase is sublime... though I have done so, and don't regret it.    It just gnaws at me a little... less and less over time, though.

Hope that helps.

• I like it 2

Just emptied a New Riff single barrel and probably won't purchase another. Enjoyed it, but sorry, I care where my bourbon dollars go. There are better aged bourbons out there for less $. Replaced it with an Old Ezra 7yo barrel strength and am really enjoying it. After the initial pour, had another with a 50/50 blend af the Old Ezra and HM 10yo and will keep blending until one runs out.

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

Just emptied a New Riff single barrel and probably won't purchase another. Enjoyed it, but sorry, I care where my bourbon dollars go. There are better aged bourbons out there for less $. Replaced it with an Old Ezra 7yo barrel strength and am really enjoying it. After the initial pour, had another with a 50/50 blend af the Old Ezra and HM 10yo and will keep blending until one runs out.

I care where my dollars go, too. That’s one reason I support competition when I can. New Riff, which is making decent product after just 4 years of distilling will periodically get my dollars. 

Dont get me wrong. I’ll still buy some Heaven Hill along the way, but I also want to support those providing competition. 

38 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I’ll still buy some Heaven Hill along the way, but I also want to support those providing competition. 

New Riff is not offering any competition to Heaven Hill. They are a drop in the bucket.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

New Riff is not offering any competition to Heaven Hill. They are a drop in the bucket.

Oh, I agree. Didn’t mean to imply that. Just trying to illustrate that I don’t look at it as one vs another. I’m not a brand homer. 

I like what NR has done so far. It’s priced a bit on the high side, but not ridiculously so. I’m ok paying $45 for a SiB now and then because it’s good. Just makes me feel good on top of it that it’s helping support a new distillery. 

Edited by Supercharger
  • I like it 2

Finished of the last of my Blanton's last Friday celebrating my daughter's birthday.  Now to try and find a bottle to replace it with that's under $70.

Edited by rmoore926

Killed an Eagle last night. Will bring out the backup on the next go.
IMG_2796.jpg

• I like it 1

2 pours and this Rutledge era SmB

went down. Loved this bottle. 

I hav'nt compared a current SmB with the bottles of yesterday. But I suspect the recent bottles may come up a little short.

Should be equal as today's bottles are still distillate that Mr. Rutledge put down, but..........

Cheers

I suppose it’s just been moved to make space but the handle is empty.

IMG_6779.JPG

• I like it 3

I've been nursing this Preiss Imports era 12yo since my cavity-prone years-- damn big balls for 46% ABV…

IMG_1410.thumb.jpg.6a99c614dd8c2596cbc814e821eab94b.jpg

• I like it 3

Finished 2 good ones last night

3BE21793-B051-4D6D-94DE-56A0EE29EC11.thumb.jpeg.84ebbdb6567f754f7569809232f64c3b.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.