Empty bottle(s) support group ~ 2019

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn’t take a pic but an EW BiB gave its last for a small sip while I cooked some pork chops.

• I like it 1

I've been looking but haven't seen that ETBIB in New England.  Anybody else? 

Another of the tuition whiskey bottles bit the dust this week.  The last non-PS buffalo trace I'll ever buy!  The standard BT hit me as young, brittle, and "green" tasting. 

I've found a bunch of amazing BT store picks, so why drink the standard BT fare when amazing is the same price?   

Was gifted a couple of bottles and was pleasantly surprised. Not a big fan of WR, but the rye is pretty good.  

20190810_213254.jpg

• I like it 3

On 8/3/2019 at 7:09 AM, kevinbrink said:

Thats why you should post it over there give the thread some love, keep Nancy, @EarthQuake, @HoustonNit, myself and the other occasional drop ins company 

@kevinbrink, @fosmith, @EarthQuake, @HoustonNit, here here! We, among others, are all Armagnac fanatics and we'd love to be kept in the loop on any good juice!

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 3

I had to pour this one down the drain. I opened it over six months ago.

From the first pour to the last, (I couldn't  stomach it anymore) it had a Hugh dirt-barnyard note. I had hoped the air might help, but it never changed. 

Oh well, at Least my taste buds & liver are happy! ? 

Cheers

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I had to pour this one down the drain. I opened it over six months ago.

From the first pour to the last, (I couldn't  stomach it anymore) it had a Hugh dirt-barnyard note. I had hoped the air might help, but it never changed. 

Oh well, at Least my taste buds & liver are happy! ? 

Cheers

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

Is that an older bottle or a more current batch, I remember a few years back when there was a release that fit that description to a T, would be a real flag if they pushed out more like that. 

58 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Is that an older bottle or a more current batch, I remember a few years back when there was a release that fit that description to a T, would be a real flag if they pushed out more like that. 

It was from an older batch.   But, I have had other bottles from that batch, with very enjoyable results. 

I agree, if this had been a new batch, would be concerning for the future. But it is still somewhat worrisome, because there are a lot of barrels still asleep waiting to be dumped into GTS bottles. 

Cheers

[mention=12121]kevinbrink[/mention], [mention=13932]fosmith[/mention], [mention=12683]EarthQuake[/mention], [mention=12713]HoustonNit[/mention], here here! We, among others, are all Armagnac fanatics and we'd love to be kept in the loop on any good juice!

Cheers,
Nancy

One of us! One of us! One of us!

So much awesomeness in these posts.

Nancy hope you’re doing well.

33 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

It was from an older batch.   But, I have had other bottles from that batch, with very enjoyable results. 

I agree, if this had been a new batch, would be concerning for the future. But it is still somewhat worrisome, because there are a lot of barrels still asleep waiting to be dumped into GTS bottles. 

Cheers

I believe this ETL was from 2015

This has happened before, and was talked about in a previous thread. I believe the person that got the bad bottle contacted BT. ETL is a single barrel. I guess every once in a while, an “off” barrel slips through the cracks. With all the bourbon that gets bottled, I can’t believe this doesn’t happen more often. I guess it’s a testament to the quality control at all distilleries.

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This has happened before, and was talked about in a previous thread. I believe the person that got the bad bottle contacted BT. ETL is a single barrel. I guess every once in a while, an “off” barrel slips through the cracks. With all the bourbon that gets bottled, I can’t believe this doesn’t happen more often.

I dunno. There's a lot of Old Charter, Ancient Age, and Kentucky Tavern bottles to fill...

Good bye old friend! Your company was enjoyed thoroughly... Good thing I have your friend to keep me company in this time of need ?

1AE59DF4-0F19-4202-84FB-17D7853EEC05.jpeg

• I like it 2

127.9 proof, batch #11.  This was a good one! (but haven't they all been?)  Reminds me of an amped up Eagle Rare.  Loads of cherry and oak on the nose. Caramel and fruity flavors with a dry oak finish.   Anxiously awaiting batch #12 which should have been out months ago...

stagg dead.jpg

• I like it 2

This was an interesting one.  Loads of musty oak on the nose.  Sweet, rich caramel and oak on the palate.  Not something I would reach for every day but, when I'm in the mood for something different, this is a good one for $40. 

pure ky.jpg

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

This was an interesting one.  Loads of musty oak on the nose.  Sweet, rich caramel and oak on the palate.  Not something I would reach for every day but, when I'm in the mood for something different, this is a good one for $40. 

pure ky.jpg

How recent of a batch was this one, I used to really like Kentucky XO but as with most things KBD found it pretty inconsistent in recent years. 

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

127.9 proof, batch #11.  This was a good one! (but haven't they all been?)  Reminds me of an amped up Eagle Rare.  Loads of cherry and oak on the nose. Caramel and fruity flavors with a dry oak finish.   Anxiously awaiting batch #12 which should have been out months ago...

stagg dead.jpg

Popular opinion was that batches 1 & 2 were unpopular ;) but since they have been pretty consistent to me, one of the better values at MSRP in the BT/Saz portfolio.

9 hours ago, fosmith said:

I didn't love this one either and will not repurchase (this goes for most Luxco). 

Good tuition bourbon, though! 

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

How recent of a batch was this one, I used to really like Kentucky XO but as with most things KBD found it pretty inconsistent in recent years. 

IIRC it was batch 44-18 (I know it was an 18) but can't be sure as the bottle has gone to the recycling.  This was my first bottle of PKXO. 

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Popular opinion was that batches 1 & 2 were unpopular ;) but since they have been pretty consistent to me, one of the better values at MSRP in the BT/Saz portfolio.

I've heard the criticisms of those early batches but have never tried them.  I've tried everything from batch #7 on and they've all been great and, at MSRP, a great value as well.  Just wish it were on the shelf more often.  Comes and goes in a flash here in the Bay Area.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.