2019 Bourbon Goals

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Curious as to what the members on the board may have in regards to Bourbon goals for this year.

My Bourbon goal for 2019 is to join a local bourbon group.  I don't know any yet, so I'll have to figure this one out a bit in the year.  I figure that I would at least like a group that has a monthly meetup/bottle share so we shall see what can happen.

• I like it 1

I have a few goals for 2019, I haven't had a drink since November and once I get myself back into game shape, I definitely plan to drastically reduce my consumption from where it was prior.  I also plan on substantially cutting down my purchases and spending less time in stores hunting. 

• I like it 9

Im gonna try to do a couple tours.. hopefully get back to BT.

Maybe Dickel, Barton , C&K.. open to recomendations.

• I like it 4

My first goal was going to be buying less and drinking more of what I have -- I have tons of bottles in the stash I've yet to try. But then I realized I'd already achieved this goal in 2017; not counting the stuff I bought as gifts or for tastings, the last bourbon I purchased was in November 2017 (amazing isn't it!). I did get a few rums and Scotch recently though.

A rye goal is to open and drink my THH 2014 -- my favorite vintage, favorite rye hands down, and a strong contender for favorite alcoholic drink in any category. I've been meaning to open this since the day of my purchase, but alas it never happened. I first decided to wait for a special occasion, then postponed until my PhD defense, then my upcoming engagement day, then my first industry job after deciding to leave academia behind, then my grandpa's 95th birthday, then... you get the idea. Since then I got my degree, ended my 10yr relationship, changed jobs several times, and said my farewells to my grandpa...

• I like it 6

1 minute ago, Kane said:

A rye goal is to open and drink my THH 2014 -- my favorite vintage, favorite rye hands down, and a strong contender for favorite alcoholic drink in any category.

Yeah, ok, I’ll agree. 

The 2014 is that good. 

I keep hearing about the 2013, but until/if I ever get to try it, the 2014 will remain as my favorite THH ever, so far.

Anyway, you’re story reminds me of one of my goals for the future: stop saving good bottles for the future all the time.

I’ve slowly come to realize that I might not be around forever, or able to enjoy alcohol someday.  So my goal is to start enjoying some of the good stuff I have stashed away, instead of waiting for an imaginary special event.... otherwise someone else might enjoy it for me, without me, someday. 

• I like it 8

I feel like every January I start off with "buy less" (or at least align purchasing w/ consumption so as not to grow the bunker/cabinet to where it will outlive me).  Looking back at my inventory spreadsheet . . . this hasn't panned out, although last year was "better" with the least imbalance in this regard.  So - that'll be my goal in 2019.

I do like the direction others are going - drink the good stuff; stop saving it for a "special occasion".  I'm going to try to follow suit with this more.  I don't have more than a couple that I haven't opened, but intend to start enjoying these sooner than later.

• I like it 2

To keep zigging while the market zags.

Apart from a special release that moves me (which will probably happen once, twice or maybe three times), I don't think I'll be buying much of anything this year.

I'm planning to stick to my guns regarding drinking the worst bottles in my collection - culling the sick and the weak for the evolution of the herd.

• I like it 11

I think 2019 will be the year I sell off some bottles.  I’ve drank them all many times over, but some of the prices I hear that some of these are going for, it simply seems wasteful for me to drink them.  

• I like it 2

Great Topic.  Most of my goals will echo what has already been said.  

Started this last year, but would like to continue to thin the bunker, no more backups of many "difficult" to find bottles.  Things like Blanton's, Weller Antique, EH SiB, HMK10, ER10 ad even certain store picks like BT and KCSiB.  When I see one I will buy it if I want to open and enjoy right away, but I aint stashing them anymore!   The ones I still will not pass up extras are W12, ETL, and RHF, but not like those opportunities present themselves often.  

Picking a private barrel of Russel's Reserve with six of my college buddies.  The opportunity is there, everyone is in and now we are working on scheduling a date for this summer.  It will be a weekend of shenanigans, great fun, bourbon, cigars, and hopefully a fantastic barrel of whiskey and overall experience.  And yes, we will do a ridiculous secondary label that will be meaningful and/or hilarious to us.  I am the only one of the group who is "into" bourbon so the label will be entirely for our amusement.

Joining a local bourbon group would be fun. 

Most importantly, continue to be content with what I drink.  Smokinjoe hit the nail right on the head for me.  I recently bought a 1.75 of WT101 and have enjoyed it throughout the holidays.  Seems like such a waste to open and drink alone from a 1k bottle when I am so happy with a sub $20 bottle.  Joining a group or if my family/friends gets more interested in anything above 100pf would help in that department as well. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I think 2019 will be the year I sell off some bottles.  I’ve drank them all many times over, but some of the prices I hear that some of these are going for, it simply seems wasteful for me to drink them.  

I've been thinking about this too, less so for the really limited stuff though and more towards moving bunkered bottles of older EC BP batches, ETL, RHF & Weller, the real issue is I don't have any desire to interact with the outlets where people move such things. 

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have a few goals for 2019, I haven't had a drink since November and once I get myself back into game shape, I definitely plan to drastically reduce my consumption from where it was prior.  I also plan on substantially cutting down my purchases and spending less time in stores hunting. 

Goal is to stay out of the stores and just enjoy what I have in the bunker...

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I've been thinking about this too, less so for the really limited stuff though and more towards moving bunkered bottles of older EC BP batches, ETL, RHF & Weller, the real issue is I don't have any desire to interact with the outlets where people move such things. 

Truth.  I dabbled through the wife's facebook when i got desperate for the last few 4R recipes I needed.  It's just a can of worms I have no interest in messing with.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm in the same barrel in regards to clearing out multiple bottles I've ended up with. Given the excessive perceived-value-to-actual-cost ratio associated with desirable bourbon these days, I've found that the likes of Weller 12, Blanton's and Rock Hill Farms make awesome gifts and palm-greasers. Allows me to keep it legal and avoid said outlets as well.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm in the same barrel in regards to clearing out multiple bottles I've ended up with. Given the excessive perceived-value-to-actual-cost ratio associated with desirable bourbon these days, I've found that the likes of Weller 12, Blanton's and Rock Hill Farms make awesome gifts and palm-greasers. Allows me to keep it legal and avoid said outlets as well.

Agreed I've already gifted a few Wellers & ETL's. 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I guess you're going to have to buy a trenchcoat and clank around the streets of Louisville after dark.

Again.

• I like it 3

Buy less things just to buy, & buy more things I really want.  Quality over quantity. 

Yeah, I don’t have any plans of spending less. :D

• I like it 3

On 1/1/2019 at 10:29 PM, kevinbrink said:

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/dry-january-beneficial-giving-alcohol/story?id=52100226

Taking the "Dry January" challenge to new levels, eh?

Wow, what a great topic, thanks for posting it @JoeTerp! I've really enjoyed reading what others have for their goals this year. 

I guess I'd break my 2019 Bourbon goals into personal and professional ones. First, for my personal goals, I have one year to go now before I turn 50, and since I've been in this business, I've put on 25 to 30 pounds. Because I'm analyzing lots of barrels at cask strength during the day, maybe up to 200 at a time for 8 or 9 or more hours, even though I'm spitting, it has taken a real toll on my immune system as well. I even came down with the shingles a few years back, which was awful. 

So I'm embarking on a "fit before 50" program that entails cutting out my nightly drams and bourbon night caps and getting back in shape so that I can feel good and enjoy the next 25 or so years of my life in a healthy way. If I do decide to have a dram in the evening every now and then, I want to "make it count" and for it to be a special pour, something that I can linger over for a few hours and just enjoy the aromas and complexity, etc. 

In my professional life, I want to ever be pushing the envelop and working towards making better and better whiskeys, employing more stringent quality control methods, etc. I have several new bourbon projects that I've been developing that will be released later this year, so I want to work hard to make sure those will be the very best that I can possibly do with the materials I have at hand. 

At any rate, hope everyone has a happy new year and that you all meet your 2019 Bourbon goals!

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If only it was voluntary!

Best of luck to you in your healing.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.