2019 Bourbon Goals

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

53 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Best of luck to you in your healing.

Thanks appreciated

Goal #1 - Winnow the bunker by moving clunkers to the front then drinking them.

Goal #2 - Stop buying on impulse like the four I picked up yesterday.

Goal #3 - Follow Goals 1 and 2.

Goal #4 - Don't forget Goal 3.

• I like it 10

Put simply: buy less, drink less. On the latter, I've noticed my consumption has been creeping up. I don't drink every day, but the days I didn't do so seemed to get more spread out. I'm going on a little weight reduction program (yeah, I know, that's a shocker at the start of a new year), so that should dovetail quite nicely with cutting back. That said, I already tend to drink a lot of my quality stuff, so I don't need to vow to open up those special bottles. 

On the former goal, I can probably drink for the next ten years off my stash without buying another bottle (especially if I slow my pace), so there's not a lot of need to buy. But of course I'll still continue to buy. I'll just try to keep it to more special bottles. And I do want to branch out to more dusties - really want to find some older Turkey - so I may still end up spending some dollars. But I told my wife I wouldn't buy any whiskey (not just bourbon) in January. And unless I find some dusty Turkey, I plan to honor that vow. 

• I like it 3

In 2019 I plan to enjoy and generally have a good time.

There are about a half dozen or so new-ish releases I haven't tried, but want (still searching).  I won't throw mad money.  Eventually, they'll come my way.

A local grocery has 30% off sales semi regularly.  A local (other side of town) liquor store gets almost anything available in our area - sells @ MSRP.

Life is good - no pouting about unicorns.

Happy New Year 

• I like it 5

I have a goal to visit bourbon country and do some tours. I will also be out hunting for the ECBPs and the Old Fitzgerald’s. 

I have also also fallen in love with the Russell Reserve SiB, so I will have the eagle eye out for those. 

• I like it 1

While I was thinking about it, I booked a stay in Bardstown in April. 

One thing off the list. 

Edited by graftonbc1
  • I like it 1

Loving this thread, it really got me thinking. I really want to do more blind tastings and in particular, I want to taste “standards” vs. other expressions. For example... WT101 vs RR vs KS for example. BT vs ER, etc. I’m really curious how the flagships hold up in a blind tasting vs their more expensive cousins. Can I actually pick which is which? Do I actually prefer one over the other? This could get fun. I think I’ll set a goal of doing one of these a month.

• I like it 5

Been feeling convicted about The Bunker at the start of this year.  I've accomplished what I set out to do in that regard.  2019 and beyond will see severely curtailed purchasing; essentially unicorns only.   

Have taken both suggested strategies to bear on drinking down the bunker.  There is a steady stream of every-day whiskey lined up in queue for several years.  Have organized the bunker to drink thru from mundane to stellar.  

Additionally, I've chosen to open 30 of my rarest and most stellar bottles.  The Good Stuff.  Currently sporting 10 rum, 10 scotch, and 10 bourbon.  Housed in a WWII footlocker from my Grandpa, opening this harmless-looking trunk is like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. 

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, PaulO said:

In 2019 I plan to enjoy and generally have a good time.

There are about a half dozen or so new-ish releases I haven't tried, but want (still searching).  I won't throw mad money.  Eventually, they'll come my way.

A local grocery has 30% off sales semi regularly.  A local (other side of town) liquor store gets almost anything available in our area - sells @ MSRP.

Life is good - no pouting about unicorns.

Happy New Year 

Good Plan!  I also plan to buy what I like, pick up a new release when I run across one of interest, and enjoy what I drink.  

Drink down some of my stock. I don't have a huge bunker, but I need to thin the herd a little.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Loving this thread, it really got me thinking. I really want to do more blind tastings and in particular, I want to taste “standards” vs. other expressions. For example... WT101 vs RR vs KS for example. BT vs ER, etc. I’m really curious how the flagships hold up in a blind tasting vs their more expensive cousins. Can I actually pick which is which? Do I actually prefer one over the other? This could get fun. I think I’ll set a goal of doing one of these a month.

That does sound like much fun. A couple years ago, I bought a four pack of EC. One was at 12 years, 1 at 10, 1 was at 9, and the other at 8. I still have them around and pull them out when I host a tasting. If I add one of the ECBPs, it makes for a very interesting flight. 

12 hours ago, Guss West said:

Been feeling convicted about The Bunker at the start of this year.  I've accomplished what I set out to do in that regard.  2019 and beyond will see severely curtailed purchasing; essentially unicorns only.   

Have taken both suggested strategies to bear on drinking down the bunker.  There is a steady stream of every-day whiskey lined up in queue for several years.  Have organized the bunker to drink thru from mundane to stellar.  

Additionally, I've chosen to open 30 of my rarest and most stellar bottles.  The Good Stuff.  Currently sporting 10 rum, 10 scotch, and 10 bourbon.  Housed in a WWII footlocker from my Grandpa, opening this harmless-looking trunk is like the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. 

Please explain to us what the segregation of those 30-bottles of 'the good stuff' portends for those bottles?     I have yet to "sort" my stuff as to bad/good/better/best/stellar or whatever; but do have very few 'bad' ones and rather less than I wish of the stellar ones, I suppose.    ...Partly because the stellar ones are so easy to drink and so hard to 'save', I guess. 

I do have a couple shelves of harder-to-source bottles that I like to offer to folx who have yet to try some of these brands; just so they can have those experiences and the frame of reference that comes with trying Pappy, BTAC, etc.  Most who gave done so agree with me, that while most of 'em are very good whiskey, very few of 'em are worth losing sleep or going broke trying obtain, as long as so much excellent whiskey is widely available and reasonably priced.

• I like it 2

My 2019 goals?  Keep on keepin’ on.  :D  

But seriously.......  pretty much the same as other members, and what I’ve tried to do in recent years. Operative word “tried”. :mellow: 

Enjoy my bunker a little more, buy a little less. Have fun and share stuff with friends and family where I live. Have fun and share stuff with other members/friends at our get together in Bardstown. Hopefully meet a few more members in person, and here on SB. In other words, like I first said in this post, keep on keepin’ on. :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

My goals are similar to many others: buy less and thin the bunker.

Also, continue to not chase limiteds, which started about 2 years ago.

I've tried most that I want to at this point.  I've built up a considerable stash of the stuff I like, and try to plow through the ones I'm not as wild about that were purchased to check a box.  I'm planning to back off purchases drastically, only considering the limited favorites when they come through at retail.  W12, ETL, and the like.  I'll continue to act as "informant" for the local guys, though, letting them know what's showing up.

I've become aware of a local whiskey group and want to become involved there.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, Richnimrod said:

Please explain to us what the segregation of those 30-bottles of 'the good stuff' portends for those bottles?     I have yet to "sort" my stuff as to bad/good/better/best/stellar or whatever; but do have very few 'bad' ones and rather less than I wish of the stellar ones, I suppose.    ...Partly because the stellar ones are so easy to drink and so hard to 'save', I guess. 

I do have a couple shelves of harder-to-source bottles that I like to offer to folx who have yet to try some of these brands; just so they can have those experiences and the frame of reference that comes with trying Pappy, BTAC, etc.  Most who gave done so agree with me, that while most of 'em are very good whiskey, very few of 'em are worth losing sleep or going broke trying obtain, as long as so much excellent whiskey is widely available and reasonably priced.

Skimmed this the other day but didn't focus.  I just reread it.  Excellent observation.  While I don't have a couple shelves of rarities, I do keep some just for this - to allow persons "who have never" to try things.  As Spock told Stonn in "Amok Time" (1967), " After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."  It applies as much to lost loves of the human kind as to bourbon.

• I like it 5

One of my “bourbon goals” for 2019 is to complete the conversion of our bonus room into a man cave/bar of sorts, which will focus on bourbon and bourbon related decor, but of course there will also be some Scotch and Rum bottles in the mix. The bunker has gotten completely out of control, so I’m going to try and slow down the purchases this year and thin out some of the more mundane stuff that I picked up just because I had to try it. That won’t make much of a dent in the total bottle count, but I’ve got to start somewhere. I clearly won’t be buying any more OWA in 2019 given the price increase, but I’ve got plenty to get me by for a long time.

• I like it 2

Late to respond to this because I had to think about it.

I'm going to echo TBT (Paul) in that I need to strengthen the health of the herd by drinking down the duds.

Thankfully, I don't have too many of those left.

Going forward, I'm going to stick to what I've been doing for a few years now - stick to single barrel picks and stock up on what I like. I'm fortunate to be part of a group that picks barrels and so far every time except one my favorite has been the pick. There are more incoming this year. I also help out a local store by being on every one of their picks. I will also buy those. Beyond that, there is not much left for me to buy.

I'm basically done taking chances on new products unless I'm 95% certain it will be great. This means I'm only buying what I know I like 99% of the time. 

• I like it 4

On 1/5/2019 at 9:52 AM, Richnimrod said:

Please explain to us what the segregation of those 30-bottles of 'the good stuff' portends for those bottles?    

I do have a couple shelves of harder-to-source bottles that I like to offer to folx who have yet to try some of these brands; just so they can have those experiences

Nothing, really, in particular.  Some slow burners in there, the stuff that will be open a while.  I do try to get thru the stinkers pretty quickly too (I'm looking at you, JB Repeal Batch). 

I ,too, do also like to have some interesting or weird stuff open to keep things interesting.  

Right now "The Treasure Chest" is set up for sampling some new to me Rum, a tour of Islay, and a study of some Wild Turkeys.   

• I like it 1

Same as last year - Drink primarily from the bunker, slow down on arbitrary & impulse purchases, maintain relationship with LE and wait for his call for the good stuff, don't buy anymore scotch b/c I've run out of storage (see first goal) 

(Don't cause so much trouble in the commander-in-chief thread :lol: B))

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 2

Good thread. I'd say I'm in the same camp of buy less and enjoy what I have. I've never really hunted BTAC or PVW releases (living where I do, it's all state lottery releases anyway) so I think the only thing I'll plan to hunt down is ECBP and maybe a Stagg Jr this year. 

As others have said, there is plenty of good, readily accessible bourbon sitting on the shelves - not that I need anymore. 

Been trying to change some bad habits in my life for a few years now, and a recent life changing event has given me the opportunity to kick it into high gear.  My main issue is that I have a lot of clutter in my house (and my brain as a result), so I've been working hard to get rid of a lot of it by either throwing it away, giving it away if it's in decent shape or selling it if is has good value.   As I was going through all this I did have to move my bunker around in my storage room, and I got to see just how much room it is actually taking up.  I have been slowly thinning it out as I peaked at over 100 bottles a few years back, and I'm below 80 now but I'd really like to cut that in half.  

So my main goal is to try and not buy much of anything this year and drink the bunker down.  Since my consumption has gone down over the last few years this has made what I have last longer.  I have also gotten back into drinking some beer, and that's taking up some of the evenings that would have been sipping evenings.

My bourbon background is that I got into it in late 2011, I've tried and/or own most of the main LEs (haven't hunted them in years), and I have settled into a comfortable spot where I mostly just buy repeats of easily obtainable stuff I like or an occasional LE if it falls in my lap.  My weakness is new easily obtainable stuff that I haven't tried, and the occasional whiskerexia nervousa flare up that causes random unnecessary purchases. 

Since I'm in Elizabethtown KY, just 25 minutes from heaven (Beam, Heaven Hill, Barton . . . ) my 2019 bourbon goal is to have everyone who comes for the Sampler in April and the Festival later in the year to stop by my house and share some bourbon with me.  Oh, and if you want to you can bring a bottle with you.  I have a BIG basement in which to store it all.

• I like it 3

I’ve got a bit of a different focus than the prevailing opinion (limit buying and reduce bunker).

Late last year, I moved from Metro Detroit to Metro St Louis.   It seems like this area is more alcohol-centric than Detroit and regulations are less stringent.  I've found and larger retail outlets.  Better selection, more store picks, more competitive prices and even clearance sales.  

I’d like to spend 2019 working the $50-75 range and acquire more RRSiB, FRSiB and Whistlepig store picks.  Belle Meade cask strength,  ECBP, EH Taylor, Stagg Jr or Willett Rye if I get lucky and find any.  Anything else interesting in that price range is also likely to come home with me.  

As the father of 4-year old and 15-month old boys, the opportunities to relax and enjoy a pour are scarce.  So even at a modest acquisition rate, I will likely have a larger bunker at the end of the year vs today.  At some point the kids will be more independent and as they get older, I anticipate having less disposable income to put toward drinking.  So, I look at it as pre-buying my future self some excellent options to enjoy down the line.  Here's hoping the wife feels the same ?

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

I’ve got a bit of a different focus than the prevailing opinion (limit buying and reduce bunker).

Late last year, I moved from Metro Detroit to Metro St Louis.   It seems like this area is more alcohol-centric than Detroit and regulations are less stringent.  I've found and larger retail outlets.  Better selection, more store picks, more competitive prices and even clearance sales.  

I’d like to spend 2019 working the $50-75 range and acquire more RRSiB, FRSiB and Whistlepig store picks.  Belle Meade cask strength,  ECBP, EH Taylor, Stagg Jr or Willett Rye if I get lucky and find any.  Anything else interesting in that price range is also likely to come home with me.  

As the father of 4-year old and 15-month old boys, the opportunities to relax and enjoy a pour are scarce.  So even at a modest acquisition rate, I will likely have a larger bunker at the end of the year vs today.  At some point the kids will be more independent and as they get older, I anticipate having less disposable income to put toward drinking.  So, I look at it as pre-buying my future self some excellent options to enjoy down the line.  Here's hoping the wife feels the same ?

It’s like a bourbon 401(k)...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.