2019 Bourbon Goals

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, DCFan said:

My goal is to sample all of JoeTerp's good stuff. :)

As long as it’s open it’s up for sampling. 

• I like it 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:34 AM, bourbon-n00b said:

So, I look at it as pre-buying my future self some excellent options to enjoy down the line.  Here's hoping the wife feels the same ?

Down the line you would benefit from the distillery expansions going on at an unprecedented rate right now.

Stocking up when supplies are strained is not the best way to do it, in my not-so-humble opinion. You build inventory when the getting is good. In 2019 bourbon availability is the worst it's been in decades, and certainly the most expensive.

Do what you want, but I recommend you buy your bourbon closer to your consumption rate for now, and then later buy your inventory when the supply returns and distilleries must again compete for your business. Sounds like it's going to time well with your family planning as well.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, KyleCBreese said:

It’s like a bourbon 401(k)...

...fully invested in Enron in 2000

44 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Down the line you would benefit from the distillery expansions going on at an unprecedented rate right now.

Stocking up when supplies are strained is not the best way to do it, in my not-so-humble opinion. You build inventory when the getting is good. In 2019 bourbon availability is the worst it's been in decades, and certainly the most expensive.

Do what you want, but I recommend you buy your bourbon closer to your consumption rate for now, and then later buy your inventory when the supply returns and distilleries must again compete for your business. Sounds like it's going to time well with your family planning as well.

Bourbon prices will never be cheaper than they are now. Just like the price of poker, the prices for bourbon will continue to rise. Yes there is expansion going on behind the scenes but guess who's going to pay for that? Will there be so much expansion that there is a bourbon glut which will force the biggies to lower prices? Never say never but I will. :)

5 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Bourbon prices will never be cheaper than they are now. Just like the price of poker, the prices for bourbon will continue to rise. Yes there is expansion going on behind the scenes but guess who's going to pay for that? Will there be so much expansion that there is a bourbon glut which will force the biggies to lower prices? Never say never but I will. :)

Price is a function of supply and demand. To suggest there will never again be oversupply despite near doubling of capacity (not to mention increases in malt, rum, pretty much every spirit right now) is to ignore history.

We had a glut before, right after everyone thought demand could never go down. 

"This time it's different"

Yeah, no it isn't.

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

Price is a function of supply and demand. To suggest there will never again be oversupply despite near doubling of capacity (not to mention increases in malt, rum, pretty much every spirit right now) is to ignore history.

Yeah, no it isn't.

We have a front row seat to what's happening right now. BIB's are disappearing as are age statements. The distilleries can't make this stuff fast enough while the prices are going up and quality is going down and this supposed glut that is just around the corner will not slow this trend down.  IMHO. :)

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

We have a front row seat to what's happening right now. BIB's are disappearing as are age statements. The distilleries can't make this stuff fast enough while the prices are going up and quality is going down and this supposed glut that is just around the corner will not slow this trend down.  IMHO. :)

Let's have this conversation again in 2025.

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Let's have this conversation again in 2025.

Indeed but until then I'm going to enjoy what's out there knowing that bourbon like everything else will be more expensive then than it is now. ;)

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

Indeed but until then I'm going to enjoy what's out there knowing that bourbon like everything else will be more expensive then than it is now. ;)

The very last thing I would recommend is that you don't enjoy yourself ;)

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

The very last thing I would recommend is that you don't enjoy yourself ;)

I'll drink to that. :)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

Price is a function of supply and demand. 

I’ll remember you said that... ;)

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ll remember you said that... ;)

I expect nothing less from my sb.com conscience!

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I expect nothing less from my sb.com conscience!

I’m here to help.  :D

C715E1EC-8AB2-4222-9405-029DE27988C2.jpeg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I do understand where you are coming from and perhaps years from now we will be walking into shops and seeing things that put today's options to shame.   

That's a risk and I believe I'm mitigating it some by keeping myself in the sub-$100 range and sticking, for the most part, to expressions that I know and like.  

Maybe I will end up feeling "stuck" with things that cost more and I like less than what I can buy in the future.  But who knows what's going happen and if I can establish my floor at RRSiB-level, that's a pretty good place for me.

Yeah, no it isn't.

I suppose even then it depends on inflation going forward. And whatever discount rate you want to use in your model to estimate prices and timing in the future. I would think even if supply increased and we had a surplus prices would likely not decline (maybe except for super premium stuff) but stay relatively flat due to inflation.

6 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

I suppose even then it depends on inflation going forward. And whatever discount rate you want to use in your model to estimate prices and timing in the future. I would think even if supply increased and we had a surplus prices would likely not decline (maybe except for super premium stuff) but stay relatively flat due to inflation.

Yes, comparisons should be made in real dollars (adjusted for inflation). Although I don't think we're going to have to get too techy about it. We don't need a calculator to know that bourbon is more expensive and heavily allocated today, for example.

Even if we have a glut in 5 years or less, I won’t regret stashing away some of my favorites at retail prices. Call it a hedge.  

• I like it 1

My goal is to really build my nose and palate. Go beyond knowing what is good and bad and being able to identify the more nuanced elements. I also want to be able to help others develop their tasting skills. The bourbon society I started is maturing and I want to be able to help facilitate everyone's growth.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, dwolf said:

My goal is to really build my nose and palate. Go beyond knowing what is good and bad and being able to identify the more nuanced elements. I also want to be able to help others develop their tasting skills. The bourbon society I started is maturing and I want to be able to help facilitate everyone's growth.

These are logical, as well as reasonable, goals.    I wish you luck and will go on to say, I assume your attitude means you won't really need luck.   Have FUN!!!

• I like it 2

On 1/20/2019 at 11:09 AM, Charlutz said:

Even if we have a glut in 5 years or less, I won’t regret stashing away some of my favorites at retail prices. Call it a hedge.  

I say this saves you time, and money spent on gasoline.

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

I say this saves you time, and money spent on gasoline.

I'd say it's just the opposite in a bubble, when only every 10th store has something you want to buy for a price you want to pay. And even then, only on a solar eclipse when the moon is in Jupiter.

In a glut, you trip over the good stuff, saving time, money, and gasoline.

My bad, I read that wrong. You meant having a stash of previously bought faves saves time, money and gasoline.

I was thinking more of how much work it takes these day to build that stash, if you haven't already

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.