What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, El Vino said:

Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 1.  Last pour from the bottle.  Rich, deep, awesome.  Got a cold to welcome 2019.  Taste buds finally back where they belong.  Glad I have more in the bunker.  Can’t pull the trigger on Batch 2.  Willett 4 YO finally hitting the high notes I hoped for.  Breaking in my daughter’s boyfriend.   KO Rye, Hochstadter’s and now Willett.  My version of paying it forward!!

We are in the exact same boat. Love KO 1, can’t stomach the price on KO 2, excited about Willett. Have you tried the Hochstadters 16?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, El Vino said:

Kentucky Owl Rye Batch 1.  Last pour from the bottle.  Rich, deep, awesome.  Got a cold to welcome 2019.  Taste buds finally back where they belong.  Glad I have more in the bunker.  Can’t pull the trigger on Batch 2.  Willett 4 YO finally hitting the high notes I hoped for.  Breaking in my daughter’s boyfriend.   KO Rye, Hochstadter’s and now Willett.  My version of paying it forward!!

That is a real fine trio of Rye's in my book

• I like it 1

On 1/13/2019 at 8:50 PM, KyleCBreese said:

We are in the exact same boat. Love KO 1, can’t stomach the price on KO 2, excited about Willett. Have you tried the Hochstadters 16?

I have not.  I’ve had it my hands at least twice but have not yet reached the cash register.  Is it worth the price?

7 minutes ago, El Vino said:

I have not.  I’ve had it my hands at least twice but have not yet reached the cash register.  Is it worth the price?

I have an open bottle of the Hoch 16, but have not had a pour for a while.  I think I'll dig it out of the cupboard tonight and have a pour.  I remember being very impressed with it, up until the finish.  Really good on the nose and palate if I recall.  I'll try to report back tonight with further thoughts, as it has had several months of airtime at this point.

13 minutes ago, El Vino said:

I was surprised how much I liked it, I didn't like the Lock Stock and Barrel 16 a whole lot as I thought it was over oaked, I thought the extra proof would make it even more so but I actually liked it quite a bit. Have been tempted to pick one up, LOWC had it last time I was there. 

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I have an open bottle of the Hoch 16, but have not had a pour for a while.  I think I'll dig it out of the cupboard tonight and have a pour.  I remember being very impressed with it, up until the finish.  Really good on the nose and palate if I recall.  I'll try to report back tonight with further thoughts, as it has had several months of airtime at this point.

Thanks!  Glad to be a catalyst for some shelf digging!

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I was surprised how much I liked it, I didn't like the Lock Stock and Barrel 16 a whole lot as I thought it was over oaked, I thought the extra proof would make it even more so but I actually liked it quite a bit. Have been tempted to pick one up, LOWC had it last time I was there. 

My fingerprints on that bottle.  I liked the LSB 16 and still have one in the bunker.

• I like it 2

I haven’t had the Hoch 16. I have the Lock Stock & Barrel 16, and I like it a lot, but I tend to like heavier oak notes in my whiskey anyway.

21 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Thanks!  Glad to be a catalyst for some shelf digging!

If nothing else, it helps narrow the focus of what to drink tonight!  :)

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, El Vino said:

I really enjoyed it. It has some great floral qualities to it. It’s unique and unlike any other Ryes I’ve had. 

Ok, as to the Hoch 16–I had a pour tonight, and just my humble opinion, but I am still not really wowed by it.  Once again, I think it is the finish that does it in for me.  Sort of bitter and rubbery.  

I was kind of running around the house tonight, dealing with the kids, etc., so it was not really contemplative sipping.  But I would not give this a ringing endorsement.  There are too many other ryes that I enjoy a lot more, for a lot less.  Again, JMHO and YMMV.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Ok, as to the Hoch 16–I had a pour tonight, and just my humble opinion, but I am still not really wowed by it.  Once again, I think it is the finish that does it in for me.  Sort of bitter and rubbery.  

I was kind of running around the house tonight, dealing with the kids, etc., so it was not really contemplative sipping.  But I would not give this a ringing endorsement.  There are too many other ryes that I enjoy a lot more, for a lot less.  Again, JMHO and YMMV.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Just wish the shelf digging was more rewarding!  Been thinking about the Little Book, which I have seen for $89.95.  Maybe do that...

Edited by El Vino

18 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Picked up these out & about this week. 

A35582F4-B3D6-4A9C-9E6A-DF29AC946C01.jpeg

Nice!!  Enjoying some of the Russell’s right now as it happens...

Edited by El Vino
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, El Vino said:

Nice!!  Enjoying some of the Russell’s right now as it happens...

I picked up that KC store pick for $29.98 + tx.  

Too bad I can’t taste a thing right now since I’m fighting of the crud.  Whiskey has been replaced with Mucinex. ?

Not American, but enjoying a nice pour of Wiser’s Legacy.  Chasing the Willett 4 YO Rye.  More similarities than differences.  Bought this bottle years ago in FL.  Really thinking I need to buy the Little Book 2018 release.

22 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I picked up that KC store pick for $29.98 + tx.  

Too bad I can’t taste a thing right now since I’m fighting of the crud.  Whiskey has been replaced with Mucinex. ?

Ugh,  Feel better and get those taste buddies back in order.

• I like it 1

Tried this the other night. 

Save your money, unless you enjoy the taste of disappointment. 

How old is it templeton?

2 years?

Buy Rossville instead. 

73022A7C-DE0F-4AD8-A5BC-CC6906171D3C.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.