What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened some 13yr supposedly MGP WP today. Yes some definite spice, yes some pickle, will need to go back to this one.

IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Opened some 13yr supposedly MGP WP today. Yes some definite spice, yes some pickle, will need to go back to this one.

IMG_6215.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG

I have tried these two side by side several times and I can’t tell which one I like the most. But both are very good ryes. 

A07737A1-B9C3-40BE-960F-D94EC08ED998.thumb.jpeg.dc87dec0678f6c8d21be70f057db4f7c.jpeg

I may have to pour me a glass of each tonight. :rolleyes:

Edited by LCWoody

I have tried these two side by side several times and I can’t tell which one I like the most. But both are very good ryes. 
A07737A1-B9C3-40BE-960F-D94EC08ED998.thumb.jpeg.dc87dec0678f6c8d21be70f057db4f7c.jpeg

Let me know the results.

Opened KC Cask Strength Rye 2009 tonight. 

First impression is favorable.  Will report back, after more scientific research. ;-))

Cheers

• I like it 1

Picked up the OF rye, need to explore more but it might a go to for me. Only one pour but like more than WT101 rye.

IMG_6226.JPG

• I like it 1

Picked up the OF rye, need to explore more but it might a go to for me. Only one pour but like more than WT101 rye.

IMG_6226.thumb.JPG.174effe24d1431cfbe12e10256e7b402.JPG

Ok this packs a lot a flavor for its price point, not necessity rye punch, but some of that rye spice on the finish and non of that unpleasant finish I get with OF Sig bourbon. Not as good as the others pictures but 1/4th and 1/5th the price and here it’s readily available. I think it’s part of my rotation.

Final pour of a fantastic Michter’s Barrel Strength rye. This is seriously one of my favorite whiskeys of any stripe. Glad to have a few in the bunker.

IMG_0042.jpg

• I like it 4

Last night I participated in a double blind tasting of 6 cask strength rye whiskies with surprising results (and some not so surprising.)

As we tasted through the 6 I tried to identify what we were tasting and I whiffed on everything. I have very good palate memory but I don't drink rye very often so it was no use here.

The general consensus among the group is that 1 and 5 were the best. Nobody could really name a winner. At the reveal we learned that #1 was '18 THH while #5 was the Travers City store pick from my local that is 6yr 10ish mo MGP. I helped pick this barrel so I knew it was good but it was revealing that we all thought it at the same level as Handy. And it's currently available.

#3 was Willett Family Estate 4yr MGP rye from the wax top era.

There was a bit of a split between #4 and #5 which was Willett self distilled 4 year rye and the KC Cask Strength Rye that is roughly 9 yrs old. That was an eye opener.

Coming in last by a wide margin was the Old Potrero cask strength rye. (Don't remember the age). That stuff is terrible. It reminds me of so much crap craft whiskey out there.

Up until now I’d not bought anything from whistlepig. I’d tried a few but my priorities and budget always took me elsewhere. I was finally swayed by an in store tasting and it didn’t hurt that I thought that Pickerell’s death may have an eventual impact on future releases. This is 14 year old 100% Alberta rye at $90. 

C7EFAB4F-5CB1-48DE-973B-BE41BCEF3075.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Up until now I’d not bought anything from whistlepig. I’d tried a few but my priorities and budget always took me elsewhere. I was finally swayed by an in store tasting and it didn’t hurt that I thought that Pickerell’s death may have an eventual impact on future releases. This is 14 year old 100% Alberta rye at $90. 

C7EFAB4F-5CB1-48DE-973B-BE41BCEF3075.jpeg

I picked up that one too. In the current market it’s pretty reasonable for a 10+ year cask strength rye. 

Cracked the baby Saz yo try. It’s like the ER counterpart in rye. Super easy to drink. With it being that smooth they need to up the rye a little. Good but not great but def worth $23.
IMG_2348.jpg

• I like it 1

Enjoying a pour of a store pick WhistlePig. This is my third different single barrel and so far all have been very good. This one has a ton of oak but still has plenty of rye spice and some really nice sweeter notes as well. 

Just went back to this WP pick and wow it’s good, it’s killing anything else I had tonight.

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Just went back to this WP pick and wow it’s good, it’s killing anything else I had tonight.

The other night I was to far gone to do a good comparison. So I did a sbs tonight, and the (to me) winner is Redemption 10y. 

Its just a better Rye.

57FB5A47-ED21-454F-975C-EC58397555FF.thumb.jpeg.8a6596e70bfff8fc5094d2f201d3c2d1.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

The other night I was to far gone to do a good comparison. So I did a sbs tonight, and the (to me) winner is Redemption 10y. 
Its just a better Rye.
57FB5A47-ED21-454F-975C-EC58397555FF.thumb.jpeg.8a6596e70bfff8fc5094d2f201d3c2d1.jpeg

Interesting, I may need to pick one up, it’s even more pricey though.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Interesting, I may need to pick one up, it’s even more pricey though.

If you can find one of the old 7 year bottles, they were my favorite of the lot and are a bit cheaper, I can still find some lingering for $65ish.

If you can find one of the old 7 year bottles, they were my favorite of the lot and are a bit cheaper, I can still find some lingering for $65ish.

The old bottle design, I recall seeing a few.
  • I like it 1

I can’t find the OF Rye aaaaanywhere.  Also on the lookout for a Bulleit 12 Rye. 

Need to go to Texas it’s one of the launch states.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I can’t find the OF Rye aaaaanywhere.  Also on the lookout for a Bulleit 12 Rye. 

3 hours ago, ccleve23 said:

I bought the Bulleit 12 Rye.  It is ok.  Not sure I would buy again.  

Didn't realize that was out already

I tried the Old Forester rye. My opinion was positive. In terms of relatively similar price point stuff I think I’d prefer this stuff over Baby Saz or Rittenhouse, and I think I still prefer WT101 rye over this. I think the turkey just is a little spicier which I like with this price point rye, as I’ll drink them near but also mix cocktails with them. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.