What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I can’t find the OF Rye aaaaanywhere.  Also on the lookout for a Bulleit 12 Rye. 

I'm looking for both of these too but trying to show some restraint. I can find the OF rye online but the shipping cost is the same as the bottle so I'll wait until it hits Iowa.

A local shop ordered two of the OF Rye for me.  $70 and change out the door for two.  I tend to avoid this shop because their prices are steep, but rather than drive around on the hunt, I went for convenience.  Initial impressions:  really nice nose.  Heat is noticeable.  Palate isn't as noticeably rye as the nose - with a slight medicinal component.  Will give this a few more pours and come back with more thoughts.

My local got in a new barrel pick yesterday - a Whistle Pig 13yr MGP rye at about 111 proof. This is not one that we picked because the inquiry was made right as WP was closing down access to the MGP barrels. They offered to send one, the last one they were releasing, but we had to trust they'd send a good one.

So fingers were crossed as we cracked it. The owner of my local set up a blind sbs for me with the WP and the Traverse City MGP barrel proof pick we did. Myself and another both picked the WP. The owner did too. It has a honey note which is unusual for a rye.

I brought it home and did a sbs with the Willett 10yr rye at 115 proof and could not pick a winner. Very similar. I'll be revisiting later tonight!

• I like it 1

Picked up the OF rye 100 proof last week and gave it a whirl last night.  It's quite good, well crafted and balanced.  Not too heavy in any particular flavor note like many ryes seem to be (for my palate anyway).

Right now I'm sipping on Kentucky Owl rye batch #1 now.  Great as always.

• I like it 1

The Bulleit 12 arrived in NJ today and I grabbed one for $45. My first couple sips have been positive but I’ll report back after a few more. 

• I like it 3

WT101 for the first time. To be honest, I'm not too impressed. I'd rather have a Ritt, and I don't like the new Ritt all that much either.

9 hours ago, Kane said:

WT101 for the first time. To be honest, I'm not too impressed. I'd rather have a Ritt, and I don't like the new Ritt all that much either.

If you just cracked it give it another chance after some alone time. This and the RR6 change for the better. My last 2 bottles of RR6 were very meh after opening but drank like nectar after being opened a while. 

In a true cycle of life (I mean whiskey), I recently said goodbye to a Michter’s Barrel Strength Rye, so I of course saw one in the wild today that I picked up.  These are pretty much an automatic buy for me, and in a statement that rarely applies to Michter’s, I would say they are fairly priced anywhere under $100 IMHO (though I have fortunately never seen them priced that high).

38766FDA-0406-48D9-BACC-8860D3D48A7A.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r

Whistle Pig 10 PS.  Wife is away for a few days, so made a few stops on the way home from the airport.  I’m ready for the weekend.  First impression of the WP:  nice nose of pepper and baking spices.  Neat:  a little heat.  Nice flavor.  Barrel notes are subtle.  I’d bet Alberta, but nothing on label to indicate origin.  A couple of drops of water bring out additional sweetness.  A more subtle expression.  Will go back for more.

• I like it 1

Y’all are killing me OF. Still waiting for it to hit near me.
IMG_2370.jpg

Bought a bottle Bulleit 12 year. The lower proof is actually kind of a nice change of pace. The typical MGP dill is subdued but definitely still present at this age. If this sticks around for $50, I'll likely grab another bottle at some point but I'm not rushing out to stock up.

Decided to do a blind tasting of my open ryes after I am done with errands and walking the pup.  Will post results later this afternoon.

9926388D-0A54-4AEB-9716-2A7CAAA61BF0.jpeg

• I like it 1

Tasted several ryes and bourbons yesterday at the Beer Bourbon and Barbeque event on what turned out to be a nearly perfect day in Atlantic Station.  Went through some solid Whiskies from the legacy Distilleries, as well as several craft Distilleries, which while not absolutely all awful, most were pretty uninspiring. Big surprise of the day, however, was the Duke Spirits Founders Reserve Rye (pic below courtesy Duke Spirits website).  I didn’t get a chance to get a lot of info on it, other than it’s a rye whiskey finished in grand cru French Oak wine barrels.  There was an MGP character to the rye which leads me to think that is where it was sourced, and the wine finish was very well integrated.  Very much reminded me of a well executed HW MWND.  A very nice whiskey that I will look to pick up as long as the pricing is decent.  

FB5159B5-F1AE-4406-ACD9-8E2007EA80DA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Tasted several ryes and bourbons yesterday at the Beer Bourbon and Barbeque event on what turned out to be a nearly perfect day in Atlantic Station.  Went through some solid Whiskies from the legacy Distilleries, as well as several craft Distilleries, which while not absolutely all awful, most were pretty uninspiring. Big surprise of the day, however, was the Duke Spirits Founders Reserve Rye (pic below courtesy Duke Spirits website).  I didn’t get a chance to get a lot of info on it, other than it’s a rye whiskey finished in grand cru French Oak wine barrels.  There was an MGP character to the rye which leads me to think that is where it was sourced, and the wine finish was very well integrated.  Very much reminded me of a well executed HW MWND.  A very nice whiskey that I will look to pick up as long as the pricing is decent.  
FB5159B5-F1AE-4406-ACD9-8E2007EA80DA.thumb.jpeg.0a644619aed7f002ca014a322becbe86.jpeg

Surprised the hell out of me too. Count me as one who also rarely finds a craft product that makes me want to part with my dollars at any price. Much less what the craft producers charge. This Duke Rye was a very surprising pour. Price dependent, I would pick this one up too.
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, El Vino said:

Decided to do a blind tasting of my open ryes after I am done with errands and walking the pup.  Will post results later this afternoon.

9926388D-0A54-4AEB-9716-2A7CAAA61BF0.jpeg

OK, after pouring and shuffling I did an initial pass through the contestants.  OMG this is hard.  This is my first attempt at blind tasting and it is challenging and confusing and fun and, I suspect educational (read humbling).  I like them all.  At this point I have no idea which is which.  I thought I pegged the OF on first pass given the very different mashbill.  But Low confidence.

769132C9-C26B-4DF8-B4A5-44891DD42194.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:22 AM, CUfan99 said:

If you just cracked it give it another chance after some alone time. This and the RR6 change for the better. My last 2 bottles of RR6 were very meh after opening but drank like nectar after being opened a while. 

I wish I could experiment, but I'll be damned if I can find a bottle to purchase. Had this at a bar, not a fresh bottle. Having another pour at the same place before the impending snow storm. Still not terribly impressed, it's all right. I guess I went into it expecting the same level of miraculous quality as WT101 the bourbon, and it didn't quite deliver that experience.

30 minutes ago, El Vino said:

OK, after pouring and shuffling I did an initial pass through the contestants.  OMG this is hard.  This is my first attempt at blind tasting and it is challenging and confusing and fun and, I suspect educational (read humbling).  I like them all.  At this point I have no idea which is which.  I thought I pegged the OF on first pass given the very different mashbill.  But Low confidence.

769132C9-C26B-4DF8-B4A5-44891DD42194.jpeg

Final tally:  pegged Whistle Pig (first) and Wiser’s (last).  Crazy but had RR10 and OF Rye even.  Most unique was Willett 4YO low proof with a noticably fruity/blueberry character - I loved it.  If I had to rank order:  WP, Willett, RR10 tied with OF Rye and finally Wisers Legacy.  Shocked I got two right.  Governor just declared a state of emergency in NJ due to the impending snow storm.  Think I’ll be just fine...

I ranked Wisers last because it had the least flavor.

Edited by El Vino
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, El Vino said:

Final tally:  pegged Whistle Pig (first) and Wiser’s (last).  Crazy but had RR10 and OF Rye even.  Most unique was Willett 4YO low proof with a noticably fruity/blueberry character - I loved it.  If I had to rank order:  WP, Willett, RR10 tied with OF Rye and finally Wisers Legacy.  Shocked I got two right.  Governor just declared a state of emergency in NJ due to the impending snow storm.  Think I’ll be just fine...

I ranked Wisers last because it had the least flavor.

There are so many pours I could never ID blind but the batch of Willet 4 yr rye I have is one I could pick out of any lineup I think. It has a really distinct muscadine/black grape sweetness up front that’s unmistakable. I really loved it at first but after a few pours I’ve realized there isn’t much else there to balance it and about 1 oz is all I can take. Just too sweet. Some more age and oak will make them fabulous I think. 

CUF, you nailed it.  If that is a characteristic of their yeast, I am even more excited to see what time in barrel does to this.  I never had the 3 YO, so I have no perspective.

i expected more from the Wiser’s...

CUF, you nailed it.  If that is a characteristic of their yeast, I am even more excited to see what time in barrel does to this.  I never had the 3 YO, so I have no perspective.

i expected more from the Wiser’s...

Not surprised at your results at all. I’m sure I’d have the WP first and the Wiser’s dead last. I think the RR and Willet as a 2nd will come down to personal preference and what your mood is that day. The OF rye is good for what it is but not surprised it was 2nd to last.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.