What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, mross said:

Could not belive I found this in my area. 20190303_192546.jpeg

Nice.  Not sure about South Jersey, but we always have plenty of this up in North Jersey.  Anyway, enjoy.

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Nice.  Not sure about South Jersey, but we always have plenty of this up in North Jersey.  Anyway, enjoy.

Lucky. My first bottle. Kevin Brink found for me in a store that mail ordered and delivered. The shipping hurt, but it was better then most. This is the first and only place I have seen it in South Jersey, believe me I have looked.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, mross said:

Lucky. My first bottle. Kevin Brink found for me in a store that mail ordered and delivered. The shipping hurt, but it was better then most. This is the first and only place I have seen it in South Jersey, believe me I have looked.

I’ve seen tons in NJ as well. DM me if you’re looking for more. 

• I like it 1

Bought a few Bulleit 12 year rye today to give it a try. Great price point for it. 39.99 per

6 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Bought a few Bulleit 12 year rye today to give it a try. Great price point for it. 39.99 per

Bought a couple myself

I just paid 49.99 so wow what a great price!

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

I just paid 49.99 so wow what a great price!

Same here 

Seemed like a fitting day for a Sazerac. Spiced it up with some Big O Ginger.

20190305_212010-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

I tried the recent bottling of WFE 10 year rye. I thought it was a very nice pour. What really surprised me was that this wasn’t as okay as the last MGP WFE I had, which was an 8 year. So not what I expected exactly but not disappointed either. Then again that’s part of the fun of single barrel products isn’t it?

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I tried the recent bottling of WFE 10 year rye. I thought it was a very nice pour. What really surprised me was that this wasn’t as okay as the last MGP WFE I had, which was an 8 year. So not what I expected exactly but not disappointed either. Then again that’s part of the fun of single barrel products isn’t it?

I believe the recent 10 year WFE rye is a small batch blend.  You might want to double check the label.

I'm sure this is delicious stuff.

Edited by 0895

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

I believe the recent 10 year WFE rye is a small batch blend.  You might want to double check the label.

Delicious maybe but its above my pay grade. $200 retail and I passed on it at $269 yesterday.

20190306_125026-784x1613.jpg

Delicious maybe but its above my pay grade. $200 retail and I passed on it at $269 yesterday.
20190306_125026-784x1613.thumb.jpg.1146ae0db274a2594f5efc5b6f6271f1.jpg

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. $200 RETAIL!?!?

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

This was a pour from a friend’s bottle so I can’t readily check it now but I assume you’re right. Delicious indeed though. Makes me want to reconsider talking myself into buying a bottle but I haven’t fully convinced myself quite yet, based on the price. 

He sent me home with a small sample too so I’ll be interested to try this SBS with my recent WP store pick that is also MGP.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

20190306_125026-784x1613.jpg

I can buy 2 10 year Redemptions and a 7 year for the same price, I don't get it.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

This was a pour from a friend’s bottle so I can’t readily check it now but I assume you’re right. Delicious indeed though. Makes me want to reconsider talking myself into buying a bottle but I haven’t fully convinced myself quite yet, based on the price. 

He sent me home with a small sample too so I’ll be interested to try this SBS with my recent WP store pick that is also MGP.

Buy another 10 year MGP and see if tastes $100 better...

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. $200 RETAIL!?!?

As far as I know, yes that is the MSRP for this.  As others have said, Redemption 10 year should be the same stuff for half that.

• I like it 1

But it says Willett on the bottle. Don't you guys know that whiskey tastes way better when you pour it out of a Willett bottle?

• I like it 1

Just now, EarthQuake said:

But it says Willett on the bottle. Don't you guys know that whiskey tastes way better when you pour it out of a Willett bottle?

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

Yes, StraightBourbon is perhaps the last bastion of whiskey sanity.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Buy another 10 year MGP and see if tastes $100 better...

Yeah, that is exactly what I said I wanted to do. I paid $80 for a WhistlePig 10 year MGP rye and I want to taste it side by side with this. That WP barrel is very good and I can’t imagine this WFE 10 year rye is that much better. 

1 minute ago, BottledInBond said:

Yeah, that is exactly what I said I wanted to do. I paid $80 for a WhistlePig 10 year MGP rye and I want to taste it side by side with this. That WP barrel is very good and I can’t imagine this WFE 10 year rye is that much better. 

I'm all for variety so I don't mind paying a small premium for a single barrel or someone elses MGP blend but it seems silly to spend 100% more, at some point all the aged Redemption stuff will be gone I'm sure and the options for any sanity in MGP well aged whiskey will probably dry up for a while, the Whistle Pigs were a nice little surprise I guess, though I'm one who doesn't believe that every store or group pushing their pick as MGP is correct either way I'm good since I like ADL rye just as much as MGP.

21 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Imagine pot still reserve from a different companies bottle then!

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm all for variety so I don't mind paying a small premium for a single barrel or someone elses MGP blend but it seems silly to spend 100% more, at some point all the aged Redemption stuff will be gone I'm sure and the options for any sanity in MGP well aged whiskey will probably dry up for a while, the Whistle Pigs were a nice little surprise I guess, though I'm one who doesn't believe that every store or group pushing their pick as MGP is correct either way I'm good since I like ADL rye just as much as MGP.

I’m sure you’re right about not every store/group knowing the correct source. I’m primarily a rye lover and have drank lots of both, and feel pretty confident in knowing which I’m drinking. The guy who went and picked the barrels had me try both barrels blind to see if I could tell and then he confirmed, as they had bought a barrel of each. Both very good, but a different profile. 

I’m no WFE slave by any means. I like the 4 year house distilled bottles I’ve had lately but won’t overpay for them, and I keep passing on the 10 over and over again at retail. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m sure you’re right about not every store/group knowing the correct source. I’m primarily a rye lover and have drank lots of both, and feel pretty confident in knowing which I’m drinking. The guy who went and picked the barrels had me try both barrels blind to see if I could tell and then he confirmed, as they had bought a barrel of each. Both very good, but a different profile. 

I’m no WFE slave by any means. I like the 4 year house distilled bottles I’ve had lately but won’t overpay for them, and I keep passing on the 10 over and over again at retail. 

If you want to start an interstate importing company we could make a killing off these guys in NY ;) J/K of course.

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Must be the same group of guys I hang with sometimes...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.