What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I’m sure you’re right about not every store/group knowing the correct source. I’m primarily a rye lover and have drank lots of both, and feel pretty confident in knowing which I’m drinking. The guy who went and picked the barrels had me try both barrels blind to see if I could tell and then he confirmed, as they had bought a barrel of each. Both very good, but a different profile. 

I’m no WFE slave by any means. I like the 4 year house distilled bottles I’ve had lately but won’t overpay for them, and I keep passing on the 10 over and over again at retail. 

BIB,

The F44 pick is confirmed to be a 13 year MGP. Let me know if you get the Willet. I know with your sources you can find retail, if not I know where you can find one for $250. I have 2 other WP 13 Year MGP picks we could SBS. Of the 3 I have open, I like the F44 the best though.

52 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

BIB,

The F44 pick is confirmed to be a 13 year MGP. Let me know if you get the Willet. I know with your sources you can find retail, if not I know where you can find one for $250. I have 2 other WP 13 Year MGP picks we could SBS. Of the 3 I have open, I like the F44 the best though.

I got a 2 ounce sample of the Willett to bring home. We can split that if you want to try it just text me. 

4 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes, StraightBourbon is perhaps the last bastion of whiskey sanity.

That would make a great website tagline!

lastbastion.png

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Must be the same group of guys I hang with sometimes...

Present company excluded of course! :)

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Present company excluded of course! :)

Yeah, of course. 

But if you’d have bought that Willett 10 for $300, I would have demoted you. 

:P

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If you want to start an interstate importing company we could make a killing off these guys in NY ;) J/K of course.

I was surprised to see bottles of the same WFE 10 Rye last week on the shelf in Manhattan ($250)— guess they’re gone by now given the climate.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I was surprised to see bottles of the same WFE 10 Rye last week on the shelf in Manhattan ($250)— guess they’re gone by now given the climate.

I would think so, I wasn't really looking for anything in the last week in NY though.

13 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would think so, I wasn't really looking for anything in the last week in NY though.

I’ve been meaning to tell you that Ambassador does not have the DL Old Particular Ben Nevis as suspected.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

I’ve been meaning to tell you that Ambassador does not have the DL Old Particular Ben Nevis as suspected.

Bummer I'll probably end up grabbing it at Warehouse if I find myself in the area, just need to stop myself from going into Astor if I'm down that way.

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Bummer I'll probably end up grabbing it at Warehouse if I find myself in the area, just need to stop myself from going into Astor if I'm down that way.

I hear you on that one. They almost had to kick me out last week for drooling over the vintage Bowmores locked in the glass case. I ended up having a nice conversation with the owner of St. Agrestis who was sampling his Amaro and Negroni RTD cocktail.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Yes, StraightBourbon is perhaps the last bastion of whiskey sanity.

Yeah, for us crazy bourbon nerds. :wacko:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 3/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, kevinbrink said:

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

Whenever my inner tater starts to show I come back here for realignment.

• I like it 4

4 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

Whenever my inner tater starts to show I come back here for realignment.

It still gets the better of me on occasion ;) 

• I like it 3

On 3/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, BottledInBond said:

Yeah, that is exactly what I said I wanted to do. I paid $80 for a WhistlePig 10 year MGP rye and I want to taste it side by side with this. That WP barrel is very good and I can’t imagine this WFE 10 year rye is that much better. 

I know it's been a long running topic to complain about WP prices, but the cask strength store picks are probably the best value in aged rye as they're consistently under $90.

• I like it 1

On 3/7/2019 at 10:08 AM, kevinbrink said:

I joined a local (NYC) group on Facebook a few months back and they are all clamoring for it, I was tempted to make the same response I did here but it's pointless as it seems to be completely made up of people who chase labels and store pick stickers. It reminds me every time I bother to take a look about why I like this online community so much. 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, 0895 said:

Must be the same group of guys I hang with sometimes...

No, they're everywhere.  They're ubiquitous.  The facebook bourbon groups are a joke and they're the reason a  store pick of something ordinary like OWA or whatever sells out in 30 minutes.  (No the boom is not anywhere near peaking).  Meanwhile those of us with a life don't stand a chance of picking one up through normal channels.  Luckily there are still some retail stores that value regular customers and will hold a bottle. 

• I like it 3

I got to try this from a distributor sales representative a couple of weeks ago, and the store owner, employees and I all agreed that it was something he should consider carrying. I stopped by yesterday, and he had it in stock, so I had to pick it up. It’s young, and sourced from MGP, but it’s pretty good stuff and reasonably priced considering the crazy rye prices of some competitors.

IMG_0064.jpg

A little Peerless gift shop 3 year single barrel tonight.  This stuff is fantastic.  I still hate the price, but this stuff is fantastic.  Has a neat BBQ / smoked meat thing going on with it, that sounds weird, but is actually quite interesting.  I can't put it down.

• I like it 1

Debut pour from this KO Rye, batch #2.  Guiltless pour, as I found the bottle @ $119.99 last summer. 

Cheers

IMG_3181.JPG

• I like it 1

I finally found a bottle of Old Forester Rye today and stumbled upon a 2017 batch High West Double Rye for only $30 so that came home with me as well. 

I’m drinking some Old Forester rye with Bruce Cost ginger ale while sorting out a late dinner for the family and preparing to settle in to watch boxing tonight. If you like ginger ale even a little, you should find some Bruce Cost and try it. Expensive, but as a splash with a decent rye it’s pretty damn good 

I forgot how good this is. 

6y cask strength MGP, aged in NM. 

Tastes like sunshine in a bottle. 

Spring is almost here and this is tasting fantastic today in the 60 degree weather!

715C97CC-7BB0-4BE2-972A-34615512F14A.jpeg

• I like it 2

Having a very good pour of Saz 18y tonight. Looks like a 2011 bottle. 

45BFCAEB-4333-4BB4-B1DE-88723D137A2F.thumb.jpeg.a203c7dac64d8b81c8482603703b4600.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.