What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve been doing good about minimizing my purchases lately, but my weakness for mgp ryes got the better of me this month. 

Happy to see tge FedEX guy today!

F724C5C3-3DB8-4C4C-BB15-397297BE81F4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Menu said this Sazerac was made w/ Old Ezra Rye.  

Who really knows?

Doesn’t matter, it.... and the second one were darn good. 

:)

D1B0CF1D-C76F-4AB7-9405-3D4632B2E7FA.jpeg

• I like it 1

Local craft distillery (that actually makes good whiskey) pre-assembled Manhattan. 

Fastastic right outta the fridge. 

Too bad this isn’t an ongoing release. 

B3A87DEA-F43D-4C1B-8E1D-049ABD1C97AB.jpeg

Haven’t tried this Michter’s yet... have heard mixed reviews
7BB8D832-A1F7-4F74-9C22-57A1BB637CBB.thumb.jpeg.7169884869fcfec016ccaff87c3e3494.jpeg

Have heard the rye from Michter’s is actually pretty good. My understanding is it’s contract distilled from BF.

Picked up a Willett 4YO rye.  Don't see that too often around here.  In fact, the only other time I have seen one is at the distillery.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, Bbstout said:

BIB,

The F44 pick is confirmed to be a 13 year MGP. Let me know if you get the Willet. I know with your sources you can find retail, if not I know where you can find one for $250. I have 2 other WP 13 Year MGP picks we could SBS. Of the 3 I have open, I like the F44 the best though.

Had this tasting with Bbstout today. The Willett 10 is very good. However, trying it side by side with two WP MGP store picks, I have a hard time thinking the Willett is worth $120 more than the WP barrels. I do concede that there was a richness with the Willett that the WPs didn’t quite match, but overall the profiles were pretty darn close. Thanks Dave!

• I like it 1

A little sbs action today. 

2013 vs. 2017.

The 2013 I’ve been reading/hearing about for years.   It was a bucket list try for me (being a big THH fan), and I was finally able to finagle a 2 oz. sample. 

The 2013, I get why people like it. 

It is similar / better than the 2016 I didn’t like, but they share a profile.   Floral & candy like, without much depth of flavor. 

I didn’t much care for the ‘16, and the ‘13, while good, isn’t doing much to convince me to go looking for a bottle.   She’s a fiery red head at 128.4p, that’s a bit hard to talk to as she’s punching your throat. 

The 2017 is a tad musty and has a gorgeous profile of baking spices with some brown sugar & possibly molasses. 

I really enjoy this one. Oddly for being not that much lower in proof (127.2p) it’s much easier to get along with.  

A couple drops really opened them both up a bit flavorwise.  The ‘17 lost its already mellow hug, and the ‘13 calmed down to be slightly more approachable, although she also lost her floral edge, basically leaving me with a glass of liquid cotton candy.

In conclusion, my FOMO has been satisfied with the sample of ‘13, and I won’t be searching for a bottle.

But if another ‘17 came my way... ;)

BE4BC279-C771-4A84-89EA-F5B8FD230367.jpeg

On 3/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Curtis Reed said:

Haven’t tried this Michter’s yet... have heard mixed reviews

7BB8D832-A1F7-4F74-9C22-57A1BB637CBB.jpeg

Cracked the Michter’s open. First glass was underwhelming. I was tasting SBS with a KCSiB Store Pick and the KC totally blew it outta the water. I wasn’t waiting for the next sip of the Michters, but couldn’t wait for the next sip of KC SiB. The finish on the Michter’s was unusually short. Disappeared after seconds. More sweet than spicy.  Felt like a one dimensional bourbon rather than a SiB rye. The KC (Barrel 7884) was maybe more enjoyable than my fav Pikesville.  I will give it a chance, but now I wish I had the $44.95 back to buy another KC

• I like it 1

Made the wife a MWND Manhattan, and poured some for myself. 

Im finding Act 6 much harder to get through compared to previous years...

Anyway, it makes a great manhattan!

9EADA8C1-6615-4856-9BB6-FBE6AE757B64.jpeg

Edited by 0895

On 3/20/2019 at 4:13 PM, 0895 said:

I’ve been doing good about minimizing my purchases lately, but my weakness for mgp ryes got the better of me this month. 

Happy to see tge FedEX guy today!

F724C5C3-3DB8-4C4C-BB15-397297BE81F4.jpeg

How do you feel about the Bulleit 12?

I got excited and ordered a couple bottles, cracked one open and - meh. Very meh. I was excited after having some really good 10+ year Whistlepig MGP store picks. I hoped that this Bulleit 12 would be similar but at a lower proof. I get some off notes, like an odd plastic sort of thing. This one will be relegated to cocktail duty for me.

Edited by EarthQuake

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

A little sbs action today. 

2013 vs. 2017.

The 2013 I’ve been reading/hearing about for years.   It was a bucket list try for me (being a big THH fan), and I was finally able to finagle a 2 oz. sample. 

The 2013, I get why people like it. 

It is similar / better than the 2016 I didn’t like, but they share a profile.   Floral & candy like, without much depth of flavor. 

I didn’t much care for the ‘16, and the ‘13, while good, isn’t doing much to convince me to go looking for a bottle.   She’s a fiery red head at 128.4p, that’s a bit hard to talk to as she’s punching your throat. 

The 2017 is a tad musty and has a gorgeous profile of baking spices with some brown sugar & possibly molasses. 

I really enjoy this one. Oddly for being not that much lower in proof (127.2p) it’s much easier to get along with.  

A couple drops really opened them both up a bit flavorwise.  The ‘17 lost its already mellow hug, and the ‘13 calmed down to be slightly more approachable, although she also lost her floral edge, basically leaving me with a glass of liquid cotton candy.

In conclusion, my FOMO has been satisfied with the sample of ‘13, and I won’t be searching for a bottle.

But if another ‘17 came my way... ;)

BE4BC279-C771-4A84-89EA-F5B8FD230367.jpeg

A couple years ago I had a pour of THH, I'm not sure which year, but I think this was 2017 and it was at a popular bar, so fairly good chance it was 17 or 16. It was the best damn rye I had ever had. I had it on ice, something I probably wouldn't do these days, which may have been part of why I liked it. I got all sorts of complexity, oak, leather, etc that I associate with much older spirits. I had another pour recently neat (again, not sure which year) and wasn't terribly impressed. I mean it was good, but not any better than Pikesville or Willett 4 year.

I would be thrilled if I found a THH at retail, but I wouldn't seek out or a particular vintage due to the rather absurd cost I would need to pay to get it. Samples are great for this reason, and being able to get a sample rather than a full bottle has saved me a lot of money on a few occasions.

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

How do you feel about the Bulleit 12?

Have not opened it yet.  I find regular bulleit rye to be pretty mediocre, so I don't have high hopes for it.  Probably be a good summer sipper on a hot day.

• I like it 1

Marked the end of a brutal Las Vegas business trip with a double Dickel Rye at the airport. You’ll have to “fill in the glass” yourselves as I’m off to the gate. 

7728D735-A1EA-4129-ACFE-BA51B738CEED.thumb.jpeg.16b6d4fab3eaa0f8416909da3a926f2d.jpeg

• I like it 3

I picked this up at my local’s suggestion. Proof is a little low, but it’s tasty.

IMG_1154.jpg

• I like it 1

On 3/14/2019 at 10:55 PM, 0895 said:

A little Peerless gift shop 3 year single barrel tonight.  This stuff is fantastic.  I still hate the price, but this stuff is fantastic.  Has a neat BBQ / smoked meat thing going on with it, that sounds weird, but is actually quite interesting.  I can't put it down.

Love it too. What is the name of your barrel? 

Mine is called Ryediculous and is very tasty, heck, it is a favorite of mine but the volume of those 200 mL, is just that, small. ??

A healthy pour of SA 7yr rye, caramel and jalapeno rye bread, it works better than that sounds.

Yes, I’m posting in the rye forum. Don’t everybody faint. :huh:  My wife and I needed some time away, so we took a drive up into Wisconsin yesterday. We stopped in one small town to get gas. There just happened to be a liquor store right next door. ^_^ Long story short, I bought a handle of Fleischmans Rye.  I figured I’d bring it to put on the Gazebo table  at our get together next month. 

Biba! Joe

14 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I bought a handle of Fleischmans Rye.  

Is it still under $20? I'm assuming it's a "Sour Mash" and not "Straight Whiskey" bottle

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Is it still under $20? I'm assuming it's a "Sour Mash" and not "Straight Whiskey" bottle

Yes it's the "Sour Mash". The cost went up just a little. I paid $20.99 for the handle. ;)

Long day doing yard work in the 70’s!!  Wife and pup are watching hoops.  I’m showering with a 3 finger pour of Old Forrester Rye over ice.  No one is the wiser...wink.

Think OF Rye is going to make a killer Mint Julep...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.