What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Surprised this one is already out there in the wild, Label Approval wasn't very long ago at all, I don't love the price but I'd be interested in trying it. 

Looks like just a few states are getting it right now.  

As it stands now, plans call for PiggyBack to be initially available in Illinois, Tennessee, Florida, Washington, D.C. and Missouri. It will price around $50 per 750 ml bottle, making it one of the most affordable bottlings from WhistlePig to date.

• I like it 1

On 4/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, FasterHorses said:

This stuff is stellar. gonna go grab another one for the bunker. holy cow man

I wouldn’t steer you wrong. 

;)

• I like it 1

Local craft distillery released their 3rd barrel of “5 year” old rye this weekend. 

I felt the two priors were right up there with THH and WFE house distilled rye in taste and quality. 

Super excited to try the new one. 

Just 10 days shy of 6 years old. 

Cask Strength, 126.1p. 

(not all 3 bottles are for me)

:)

FE204F3D-1B6B-4506-8B99-AA4F0F7C791B.jpeg

D34E6CF1-0470-45E9-9A14-0F717C3439F5.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

Local craft distillery released their 3rd barrel of “5 year” old rye this weekend. 

I felt the two priors were right up there with THH and WFE house distilled rye in taste and quality. 

Cask Strength, 126.1p. 

That's certainly high praise. Is this a special release/hard to get? I see TWCP has the standard 90 proof 5 year rye.

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Cask Strength, 126.1p. 

Was that pour from this year's release.  If so we need some notes.

11 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

That's certainly high praise. Is this a special release/hard to get? I see TWCP has the standard 90 proof 5 year rye.

Yeah, released once per year (so far)

and only at the distillery. 

Not particularly hard to get, other than having to go to the distillery and get it. 

It usually sells out in about a week. 

The std.  batched bottling of their rye averages around 2-3 years old.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Was that pour from this year's release.  If so we need some notes.

Yes, I did crack one for a quick taste yesterday. 

Just from memory, somewhat floral with cotton candy.   A little hot.   A few drops of water should help unlock it to perfection, but I didn’t tinker as we had to leave for a party. 

Im in no shape this morning to taste anything besides coffee.  ;)

I purchased a Pikesville, never had one though I am a big Ritt fan. Mostly I am curious what 2 yrs and a few proof points bring to the table, all in the name of science of course LOL!!

• I like it 4

I've been drinking the Old Forester Rye,  $31 in NJ.  100 proof but not bonded.  Like as uch as Rittenhouse.

• I like it 1

Having some Willett (house) 4y Rye to finish off the night. What a great rye....

^, this, I finished last night with a pour of my 4 y Willett family estate Rye. That stuff tastes like plums to me. It is very complex and sweet (maybe too sweet). I think it is my favorite right now.

I’m starting the afternoon off with some WP 10y.  And since it cooled off, my kids wanted me to cook one last gumbo before it gets hot again. 

532903BB-32E6-4711-8BCA-34046D743B1D.thumb.jpeg.eb72b1d3d21008c233800441accb4fe3.jpeg

385AF33C-5C3F-44A2-A48D-C74E5A856B3B.thumb.jpeg.f34232814607e1e1d1784af9f25bc235.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 4/14/2019 at 1:21 PM, Oli77 said:

^, this, I finished last night with a pour of my 4 y Willett family estate Rye. That stuff tastes like plums to me. It is very complex and sweet (maybe too sweet). I think it is my favorite right now.

I have a Willett rye I feel the same way about; very sweet with a very pronounced muscadine note. I've mixed a sample of it with a sample of Rebel Yell 10 yr SiB for a four grain experiment. We'll see.

On 4/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, CUfan99 said:

I have a Willett rye I feel the same way about; very sweet with a very pronounced muscadine note. I've mixed a sample of it with a sample of Rebel Yell 10 yr SiB for a four grain experiment. We'll see.

Oooooh, do tell what happens once settled. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

77060750-B908-45EC-9991-67E6918C3CD3.jpeg

Nice whiskey, but the artwork is a little macabre. 

Michter's barrel strength rye. Waited in line this morning for it. Paid $89, I read great things about it here. IMG-20190420-WA0008.jpg

• I like it 1

Revisited my recently acquired Pikesville. I made the mistake of having  my first pour while in the throes of a VERY nasty flu/borderline pneumonia situation. Of course it tasted like sh*t and so did everything else so I capped it and killed off a sub par WTKS while recovering.

last night Pikesville  made its rightful debut and was the very enjoyable pour I expected. 

It remains to be seen what opinion I will have at the end of the bottle but so far while very good, I don’t know if its worth 2 Ritts to me, I really like that Rittenhouse.

There are a couple of other ryes I am curious about and my upcoming travels might have our paths crossing, they are 4 yr old and given that I enjoy younger  ryes I will pick them up if the tastings agree with me. Should set up some fun SBSBS...

• I like it 2

2015 Michter's barrel strength rye.  Been awhile since I visited this bottle, easy to forget how awesome this is.

• I like it 1

88C78ABB-2B5C-43F2-8D60-FED6D794D6CD.thumb.jpeg.f133b3efcd8fda3435861b07da96042b.jpegHaving a good pour of KC Rye tonight

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.