What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kepler said:

2015 Michter's barrel strength rye.  Been awhile since I visited this bottle, easy to forget how awesome this is.

I'm also a big fan of that one.

• I like it 2

Wow, WhistlePig 15yo now at the Delta Sky Club— where a double runs 20 bucks.  Better than bacon for breakfast...

C1B989C5-B435-403A-91F1-D56386EC80E0.thumb.jpeg.4f6e0cc4f5fc9c4348b268637059e9d4.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 4/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, LCWoody said:

88C78ABB-2B5C-43F2-8D60-FED6D794D6CD.thumb.jpeg.f133b3efcd8fda3435861b07da96042b.jpegHaving a good pour of KC Rye tonight

How is that Cask Strength?  I saw a bottle last week, but already had my weekly picks.  Probably get it soon though.  

2 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

How is that Cask Strength?  I saw a bottle last week, but already had my weekly picks.  Probably get it soon though.  

Its good, I don't find myself drinking it more then other Ryes. If their is a "bourbon guys rye" category, this is the poster child for it. Its a lot like drinking a very rye forward bourbon to me. 

• I like it 2

I found a bottle of KCRSiB store pick priced at $35+tx. The liquor dept has an excellent track record on store picks and the the price was right.  It was too hard to say no so I didn't. The field test begins tomorrow at 4PM.

22 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I found a bottle of KCRSiB store pick priced at $35+tx. The liquor dept has an excellent track record on store picks and the the price was right.  It was too hard to say no so I didn't. The field test begins tomorrow at 4PM.

It certainly does work for me. The first pour seemed a little bit sweet at first but definitely a slow sipper.

• I like it 1

A couple of tall boys.  Man, this Willett 4 really has potential. Too herbal up front for my preferences due to the lack of age, but it has a very nice note on the finish.  2 more years in oak and this one will get very interesting.  In some ways it's already a more unique and interesting pour than the EHT, but for now the Colonel wins this fight on refinement alone.

IMG_1753.JPG

• I like it 1

Two fingers of KC rye at SJC.

CA + airport means it's a big rip off, but it does ease my flight anxiety.

• I like it 1

Opened a bottle of Ritt today to make sazeracs.  Its odd but I like this more than Pikesville.  Even though the Pikesville is aged longer, I'm thinking it is the proof.  100 proof seems to be where I land most of the time but there are some bourbons that are well beyond that that I like.

• I like it 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Kepler said:

A couple of tall boys.  Man, this Willett 4 really has potential. Too herbal up front for my preferences due to the lack of age, but it has a very nice note on the finish.  2 more years in oak and this one will get very interesting.  In some ways it's already a more unique and interesting pour than the EHT, but for now the Colonel wins this fight on refinement alone.

IMG_1753.JPG

I have the bottle on the right and the one on the left is  my next "planned" purchase. You never know, you walk in a store....find something you were not planning on purchasing,..... then find another....

Edited by Oli77
Clarity

On 4/29/2019 at 9:39 PM, Kepler said:

IMG_1753.JPG

So you broke down and spent the $50? Sounds like you enjoyed it but felt it was a little young. I hope to try a 5 year soon. Then a 6! I agree? I would guess 6 year is where the sweet spot will be. That said, I LOVE the 4 year. 

2 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

So you broke down and spent the $50? Sounds like you enjoyed it but felt it was a little young. I hope to try a 5 year soon. Then a 6! I agree? I would guess 6 year is where the sweet spot will be. That said, I LOVE the 4 year. 

Well I've had a couple of these for awhile, maybe 3, whenever they came out I can't remember, after passing on their two and three year varieties for a couple years.  Hell, I buy overpriced whiskies all the time.  But I realize they are overpriced in a seller's market, not a bargain.  But what the hell life is short right.

I first opened this one last December and didn't care for it, was quite disappointed, but also said to myself, "hey what do you expect for a 4-year whiskey"  The other night was the first time to try it since December and I admit it tasted quite a bit better than the first time.  It has a certain note that reminds me a little bit of another rye I have that I love.

17 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Well I've had a couple of these for awhile, maybe 3, whenever they came out I can't remember, after passing on their two and three year varieties for a couple years.  Hell, I buy overpriced whiskies all the time.  But I realize they are overpriced in a seller's market, not a bargain.  But what the hell life is short right.

I first opened this one last December and didn't care for it, was quite disappointed, but also said to myself, "hey what do you expect for a 4-year whiskey"  The other night was the first time to try it since December and I admit it tasted quite a bit better than the first time.  It has a certain note that reminds me a little bit of another rye I have that I love.

I definitely respect your take! Personally I love the stuff, but I get its not for everyone.  

I didn't know anything about Willet before my first bottle was gifted to me last summer by my cousin. He said it was "highly touted" but he'd never had it. I instantly loved it. 

I know we've debated the value and have had differing opinions and that's okay.  I'm happy to send you a sample of the batch I have if you're interested.  

And I would be interested to hear your favorite rye choices, as I'm surely interested in finding some comparable options for less money!

23 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

I definitely respect your take! Personally I love the stuff, but I get its not for everyone.  

I didn't know anything about Willet before my first bottle was gifted to me last summer by my cousin. He said it was "highly touted" but he'd never had it. I instantly loved it. 

I know we've debated the value and have had differing opinions and that's okay.  I'm happy to send you a sample of the batch I have if you're interested.  

And I would be interested to hear your favorite rye choices, as I'm surely interested in finding some comparable options for less money!

And I in turn respect your take as well kind sir!  I wouldn't say that I dislike the Willett 4, I just see the potential for great things if they'd let it age a bit more properly; no worries because I'm confident we'll be seeing some 5 year fairly soon and eventually older. 

As for me, I'm not the rye expert, in fact I'm probably a bit of a novice comparatively  when it comes to ryes. Most of the ones I end up with are on the well-aged, high priced side. My favorites on my open bottle shelf are Handy, Ky Owl, and for the money, Michter's LE barrel strength.  Ryes tend to be way overpriced compared to bourbons due to the small number of distillers out there (most of what you see on the shelf has the built-in middleman of the NDP).

Try Pikesville if you haven't already.  In the "affordable" category I also like RR 6 year. But honestly if I want a great whiskey under $40 I usually reach for a bourbon not a rye. 

In your $50 price range you may well find the willett rye is your favorite rye of all and beats all comers. Cheers man.

Edited by Kepler

1 minute ago, Kepler said:

d I in turn respect your take as well kind sir!  I wouldn't say that I dislike the Willett 4, I just see the potential for great things if they'd let it age a bit more properly; no worries because I'm confident we'll be seeing some 5 year fairly soon and eventually older. 

As for me, I'm not the rye expert, in fact I'm probably a bit of a novice comparitively  when it comes to ryes. Most of the ones I end up with are on the well-aged, high priced side. My favorites on my open bottle shelf are Handy, Ky Owl and for the money, Michter's LE barrel strength.  Ryes tend to be way overpriced compared to bourbons due to the small number of distillers out there (most of what you see on the shelf has the built-in middleman of the NDP).

Try Pikesville if you haven't already.  In the "affordable" category I also like RR 6 year. But honestly if I want a great whiskey under $40 I usually reach for a bourbon not a rye. 

In your $50 price range you may well find the willett rye is your favorite rye of all and beats all comers. Cheers man.

I really enjoy Pikesville and recently found in clearance here for $31 a bottle so I bought 3 backups. I enjoy the new OF Rye for the money, but for $12 more the Pikesville above easily wins. 

I did recently come across the new MGP self-release Rossville Union Rye and I am really, really enjoying it. Glad I bought 2 as it doesn't come to Oklahoma. Didn't splurge for the Barrel strength but the 9X proof was one was pretty impressive for $35. More bite/less sweet than Pikesville which is probably my preference if I'm being honest. It's not an old/heavy oak though. I think they claim 5-6 year batch mix.  If you see, I recommend taking a chance for $40 or less which is MSRP. Think it was released in a limited market but planning to expand 

9 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

I really enjoy Pikesville and recently found in clearance here for $31 a bottle so I bought 3 backups. I enjoy the new OF Rye for the money, but for $12 more the Pikesville above easily wins. 

I did recently come across the new MGP self-release Rossville Union Rye and I am really, really enjoying it. Glad I bought 2 as it doesn't come to Oklahoma. Didn't splurge for the Barrel strength but the 9X proof was one was pretty impressive for $35. More bite/less sweet than Pikesville which is probably my preference if I'm being honest. It's not an old/heavy oak though. I think they claim 5-6 year batch mix.  If you see, I recommend taking a chance for $40 or less which is MSRP. Think it was released in a limited market but planning to expand 

See, I learned something new that I didn't know before, it happens a lot when I come to this site, which keeps me coming back;  I'll take note of the Rossville Union if I see it and have a look-see.  Thanks

These guys do a really good rye, too.  New Riff Rye at 100 proof, BIB, NCF, 95 rye/5 malted rye is a nice spicy and grassy whiskey.  A little light on the nose, but is strong everywhere else.  It’s sweetish at first sip, then hits a big stride at mid palate and rumbles into a big sharp grassy finish that is about as good as it gets.  Obviously, close to the ubiquitous MGP rye in Mashbill...but better.  Though, I appreciate MGP rye, it’s dill can be annoying to me at times.  This does not share that trait.  Where I think New Riff’s bourbon has made a notable step into what I consider at least as good as a good legacy bourbon (meets the EWB threshold...maybe, a touch better, even), this rye can stand with any rye out there.  Really.  

I dont know who who I am any more...  :D

AB668034-2FC6-4D33-8532-2DA9F6E836C7.jpeg

• I like it 5

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

These guys do a really good rye, too.  New Riff Rye at 100 proof, BIB, NCF, 95 rye/5 malted rye is a nice spicy and grassy whiskey.  A little light on the nose, but is strong everywhere else.  It’s sweetish at first sip, then hits a big stride at mid palate and rumbles into a big sharp grassy finish that is about as good as it gets.  Obviously, close to the ubiquitous MGP rye in Mashbill...but better.  Though, I appreciate MGP rye, it’s dill can be annoying to me at times.  This does not share that trait.  Where I think New Riff’s bourbon has made a notable step into what I consider at least as good as a good legacy bourbon (meets the EWB threshold...maybe, a touch better, even), this rye can stand with any rye out there.  Really.  

This is on my list to find when I'm in Kentucky next week! Glad you like it. 

I dont know who who I am any more...  [emoji3]

AB668034-2FC6-4D33-8532-2DA9F6E836C7.thumb.jpeg.be9117e578a98a185772a43c9611eec3.jpeg

Who are you, and what have you done with the real smokinjoe? [emoji6]
  • I like it 2

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Brother, you are in good company.

I toured New Riff with Jim Rutledge a couple years ago and they took us into their lab to try various new makes and both bourbons and ryes that at the time were only 2+ years old.

Jim liked what he was tasting, but of course made a number of recommendations for improving their process.

I remember being impressed by their 100% malted rye new make. I don't think I've seen that one released yet.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.