What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

KCSB PS - Love it
8DCE852E-4285-434D-AD8C-D7758B4A1B38.thumb.jpeg.39a282660c167f121c5b2b7d21e94031.jpeg

Ha same here, sweet chess set, Mayan?

IMG_6657.JPG
  • I like it 2

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Ha same here, sweet chess set, Mayan?

IMG_6657.JPG

Yeah... Offer Up for $20. it is really cool

Yeah... Offer Up for $20. it is really cool

$20, if only I had the space.

Last weekend while in the motherland I exercised remarkable restraint with purchases. I only bought a couple bottles, a Willett GS 4yr rye (109p) and a Wilderness Trail BP 4yr rye. I really enjoyed the WT rye while visiting the distillery so I am really looking forward to exploring it more over an extended period. Won’t crack either for awhile yet but I expect zero in the way of buyers remorse.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

Last weekend while in the motherland I exercised remarkable restraint with purchases. I only bought a couple bottles, a Willett GS 4yr rye (109p) and a Wilderness Trail BP 4yr rye. I really enjoyed the WT rye while visiting the distillery so I am really looking forward to exploring it more over an extended period. Won’t crack either for awhile yet but I expect zero in the way of buyers remorse.

Did you purchase both those at their respective distilleries? I'm headed there in a few days and just wondering what I can expect 

@TimeWillTellI can only speak about Wilderness Trail because they are close by and I have visited several times. The people are great and highly knowledgeable. Co-owner Pat is a UofK graduate and specializes in yeast.  They just released a high rye that I thought was extremely good with a deep taste profile. See here. Their Bourbon is also very good and BiB. Great stuff from these guys and I hope will only get better with time.

BTW there is a LS not too far from there (LB) that has some great stuff (front of store, left corner when you walk in, by the cash registers). 

Light, easy sipper. 

This is kind of a strange product. 

Tastes different from most mgp rye. 

Almost has a lemon pepper thing going on.   It’s fine, but I won’t replace the bottle. 

4DC08F9C-4721-4F24-8729-1060DFD30BCC.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Oli77 said:

@TimeWillTellI can only speak about Wilderness Trail because they are close by and I have visited several times. The people are great and highly knowledgeable. Co-owner Pat is a UofK graduate and specializes in yeast.  They just released a high rye that I thought was extremely good with a deep taste profile. See here. Their Bourbon is also very good and BiB. Great stuff from these guys and I hope will only get better with time.

BTW there is a LS not too far from there (LB) that has some great stuff (front of store, left corner when you walk in, by the cash registers). 

Thanks for the info! Hoping they still have a cask strength rye when I swing by there in Thursday! I'll check out that LS also!

22 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Did you purchase both those at their respective distilleries? I'm headed there in a few days and just wondering what I can expect 

I did and the GS pricing was better than what I saw in stores, that has NEVER happened!! The particular barrel of WT was the same in the GS and LS as they don't have many barrels yet reaching 4yrs of maturity. That said there was a decent amount at the GS and a call ahead will answer for certain before your visit.

The Willett GS had 3 different vintages and I got one of the remaining few of the 109p batch there was a 109.something and a 1teen something in greater quantities. I never saw any in a store but the GS was well stocked.

Was able to acquire this on Saturday courtesy of a friend, another hard-to-find bottle in DFW.

20190504_151245.thumb.jpg.4cf13f835579c71c0aae579ea5270919.jpg

Well technically only the Saffell was a purchase today, the others where pulled from my bunker after making some space. Was looking for some of that GG laser code WT101 but my local only had the 2019. First time I saw the Saffell. Pricey at $42 for a 375 but figured I can’t call myself a Turkey head without trying it. Everything I’ve heard has been very positive. Plan on opening the two Turkey products tonight and the W12 tomorrow.

IMG_6667.JPG

Well technically only the Saffell was a purchase today, the others where pulled from my bunker after making some space. Was looking for some of that GG laser code WT101 but my local only had the 2019. First time I saw the Saffell. Pricey at $42 for a 375 but figured I can’t call myself a Turkey head without trying it. Everything I’ve heard has been very positive. Plan on opening the two Turkey products tonight and the W12 tomorrow.

IMG_6667.thumb.JPG.8a703d1d7f2bd003aab3a7ed9615f6c4.JPG

Darn, wrong thread, Joe could you put this in the bourbon purchase thread? Thanks

2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_6667.JPG

I thought the sweet spot on WT101 was GH-GJ. 

19 minutes ago, Supercharger said:
2 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_6667.JPG

Rarebird101 seems to think they started at least by GG. Check this article https://rarebird101.com/2019/01/15/wild-turkey-101-2018/ but I have seen other opinions floating around. 

I saw a post from rarebird where he mentioned the statement from Eddie from April that they started putting the older barrels into WT101. Rarebird had a bottle from a July batch that he felt was great. He also had a March bottle a month before the Eddie comment that he felt wasn’t much different from previous bottles. He than had bottles from July, August and September that he thought where all great.

Rarebird101 seems to think they started at least by GG. Check this article https://rarebird101.com/2019/01/15/wild-turkey-101-2018/ but I have seen other opinions floating around. 

Haha I think we posted at the same time. I was looking for any July or later 2018 postings. The local only had 2019 batches.

Also I think where going to make the old timers heads explode with all this batch code talk.
  • I like it 1

34 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Also I think where going to make the old timers heads explode with all this batch code talk.

I think any of us is open to information on how to get 8yr+ bourbon at $18-25/fifth. 

• I like it 2

Looking forward to pouring a dram of this later on....oh wait!  Meant looking forward to trying this at breakfast.  

FD1B43B6-7000-42BD-B9FC-4208537E6F3D.jpeg

• I like it 1

Always need to put on my big boy pants when I pull this out so good. It’s not some type of German raisin bread. Also about to put this 2” prime strip on the grill.

IMG_6678.JPG

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Always need to put on my big boy pants when I pull this out so good. It’s not some type of German raisin bread. Also about to put this 2” prime strip on the grill.

IMG_6678.JPG

Damn I love me some THH.  That 2" steak looks like it will need some big boy pants too.  Enjoy

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.