What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked this up today and wanted to crack it open. Something fun about opening up a same-day purchase.  (I need to do it more often)

Very tasty on first sip.   

20190510_191251.jpeg

• I like it 1

Picked this up today and wanted to crack it open. Something fun about opening up a same-day purchase.  (I need to do it more often)

Very tasty on first sip.   

20190510_191251.thumb.jpeg.ff93b579067fe0b56e24621b06817e99.jpeg

Nothing beats cracking a same day purchase, I just followed the THH with the last of a KC rye store pick which is great. How is this? I imagine with almost twice the age and at cask strength it’s quite nice.

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Nothing beats cracking a same day purchase, I just followed the THH with the last of a KC rye store pick which is great. How is this? I imagine with a few more years and at cask strength it’s quite nice.

It's quite good,   It's got a yin & yang thing going on with the herbal note (which I sometimes mistake for youth) and actual oakiness, which I like.  I recommend it if you ok with a $70 experiment. 

Think I'll pour myself another!

• I like it 1

I like your "FRyeday" theme on here.

Just poured myself some CEHT BiB rye.  Definitely more bourbonesque than the KC.

• I like it 1

Rocking with the ryes tonight.  Went back for another pour of the KC CS and I can tell this is going to be one of those bottles that doesn't last very long.  

Now I just poured some Willet 4 yr rye, and man, this is a totally different animal.  Some have mentioned a plum note and I think that's as good of a description as any.  I'm still searching for the right tasting notes to describe it, but plum probably works.  (Been literally decades since I've tasted an actual plum though, Lol)

I like your "FRyeday" theme on here.

Just poured myself some CEHT BiB rye.  Definitely more bourbonesque than the KC.

Wow if you think is CEHT rye tastes more like bourbon the KC rye. I guess it’s essentially bourbon.

20 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow if you think is CEHT rye tastes more like bourbon the KC rye. I guess it’s essentially bourbon.

I don't even know the exact mash bills, but good point because now that I think about it, I recall that KC is in the barely legal camp.  But I've always felt the EHT rye is very corn-forward for a rye.  

This KC CS definitely has a mild to medium herbal note, which to my palate anyway doesn't equate to high corn content.  Hmm, I don't really know for sure, because despite my enjoyment of good rye whiskeys I admit that I'm not very dialed into ryes like I am bourbon, because I haven't tasted a great many and spent a lot of time comparing.  For me, rye whiskeys are sort of one of those deals where I might not be able to define it, but I know it when I taste it.  If that makes sense.  Learn something new every day though.

The wife wants to show off her new car when we have dinner with her sister. I was hunting for the WT101 Rye, but I'm impressed with this. I don't normally care for 80 proof spirits, but this one has a nice sweet flavor. 1557689457943.jpg

The wife wants to show off her new car when we have dinner with her sister. I was hunting for the WT101 Rye, but I'm impressed with this. I don't normally care for 80 proof spirits, but this one has a nice sweet flavor. 1557689457943.thumb.jpg.97ba524826fd3d025a8325e857a3c673.jpg

Years ago this was one of my daily drinkers but the 101 has so much going on.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Years ago this was one of my daily drinkers but the 101 has so much going on.

I'd love to find some 101 Rye, but it has been noticeably absent from my normal haunts for some time. I picked up some RR6 & RRSB to compare to this WT. I have too many opened bottles and need to work to make some space, so I haven't opened the RR set yet. I need to figure out a bunker so I can pull my unopened duplicates and create some shelf space. 

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

This showed up today. 

Im pretty excited about it. 

093D7BC2-5DFE-4509-B04B-D6D730726885.jpeg

Interested to know your thoughts. This is about $250 where I am.. 

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Interested to know your thoughts. This is about $250 where I am.. 

Well, I tried the 18y Redemption "ancients" and really liked it.

But that's basically unobtainable for me at a reasonable price, so here's hoping this is a close 2nd.

:)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, beasled said:

20190515_214912.jpg

2014 batch.  

Should still have some of the older rye in it.

Should be pretty good.

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

2014 batch.  

Should still have some of the older rye in it.

Should be pretty good.

It is!

• I like it 1

Did a little SBS of HWDR and HWRR, both barrel selects finished in bourbon barrels for 2.5 years.  Both excellent, but no surprise, nod goes to the HWRR.  More depth and refinement.  And how can you go wrong with either of these with 2.5 extra years of aging in a bourbon barrel...?

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Did a little SBS of HWDR and HWRR, both barrel selects finished in bourbon barrels for 2.5 years.  Both excellent, but no surprise, nod goes to the HWRR.  More depth and refinement.  And how can you go wrong with either of these with 2.5 extra years of aging in a bourbon barrel...?

Pretty sure we have the same two bottles and my take is the reverse but I can see why someones preference would be the opposite of mine. 

Following up some BT with a small pour of baby Saz. Hard to beat for $24.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

Following up some BT with a small pour of baby Saz. Hard to beat for $24.

Dang it's $35+ here. If it was $24 I'd be in heaven. 

Drinking a little WP store pick, one of the assumed/claimed to be MGP. Tasting delicious while I get a fire going in the fireplace on a rainy night. Almost time for the GOT finale

Had a WP 13yr Pick, Friday night. My palate must of been in high gear and or the bottle opened up because I got a ton of that MGP dill for the first time. It was quite remarkable as it’s the first time i picked this up.

IMG_6709.JPG

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

because I got a ton of that MGP dill for the first time.

IMG_6709.JPG

Really?

What, you didn't notice that sticker on there?

...take a hint.

? j/k.

• I like it 1

Really?
What, you didn't notice that sticker on there?
...take a hint.
[emoji14] j/k.

Haha that’s exactly my point, it didn’t live up to the sticker until Friday night.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.