What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, my first shot trying pan fried chicken out on the gasser was was not what I was hoping for, but  Mrssmokinjoe’s blueberry crisp was excellent, and that paired with this KC Twice Barreled Rye have brought things around to good.  Woodiness is heavy on the nose, and the tannins are evident for the rest of the journey.  Biting finish is nice...

65A3B2D2-2AF4-445A-A78D-CCCBD2F3E5C6.jpeg

• I like it 1

What happened with the chicken? 

28 minutes ago, Phil T said:

What happened with the chicken? 

Couldn’t keep the heat down and under control, and over blackened the skin way too much.  Inside was good, but Miss Benson would have NOT been happy with my efforts.  She say, tsk, tsk, boy...  :(

Bourbon was good, though.  :D

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, my first shot trying pan fried chicken out on the gasser was was not what I was hoping for, but  Mrssmokinjoe’s blueberry crisp was excellent, and that paired with this KC Twice Barreled Rye have brought things around to good.  Woodiness is heavy on the nose, and the tannins are evident for the rest of the journey.  Biting finish is nice...

As long as the crisp was a success it's all good.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:23 PM, JMFH said:

Doing a SBS of these two.  4 years and similar proof.  Right off the bat the color on the New Riff has a deeper, richer appearance and the taste matches it.  The WFE is solid and I can see the appeal for those that enjoy a lighter profile in their rye.  The New Riff reminds of their SB bourbon and is very bold for being only 4 years old.  Must be something magical in the barrels they use.

spacer.png

I have not tried any NR rye yet,  but I have tried about 5 different batches of WFE 4 year, and I promise you that the batch you have there is absolutely the best batch of WFE 4y I've had to date.  The balance is is just spot on perfect.  There are equal parts of floral and leather aromas, and a finish that lasts.  It's absolute harmony in a bottle to me.  My buddy bought that batch (109.8p).  I bought a different batch and sadly it's not the same experience.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:19 AM, smokinjoe said:

Cracked a bottle of this myself today. Needed a few drops of water for my liking but after that, absolutely stellar! 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Cracked a bottle of this myself today. Needed a few drops of water for my liking but after that, absolutely stellar! 

I agree.  A bit of water does work well rounding it out.  

• I like it 1

Picked this up today and opened it this evening. Really like the rum finish.

20190608_205345.thumb.jpg.70c0f2d742846b51782e748a9fe5d809.jpg

I was tempted by this one...

I picked up a bottle of this today, and I must say that this is very, very drinkable! OK...it’s so drinkable that while I was sharing it with the store manager and staff, I grabbed a second bottle.
  • I like it 2

Having some Michaels BP rye tonight (New Batch) It’s good, if you see on pick it up. 

581C9AD7-67C6-4A60-84E7-942F68483917.thumb.jpeg.32b787dcb42c5a20eaca0f64852e14dd.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, 0895 said:

I have not tried any NR rye yet,  but I have tried about 5 different batches of WFE 4 year, and I promise you that the batch you have there is absolutely the best batch of WFE 4y I've had to date.  The balance is is just spot on perfect.  There are equal parts of floral and leather aromas, and a finish that lasts.  It's absolute harmony in a bottle to me.  My buddy bought that batch (109.8p).  I bought a different batch and sadly it's not the same experience.

Yeah, the contrast on these two was readily apparent.  I think it comes down to what you're in the mood for with each.  The WFE was very good and I get what you're describing there.  The NR was bolder and more forward with the spice and barrel profile.  Not regretting either one.  I'll probably grab another of the NR single barrel while there's still some left since it sounds like these were a one-off release.  Was lucky to find the WFE since they rarely show up around here.

Enjoying the final pour of this 1yr. Bourbon barrel finished Double Rye! store pick. 

The bourbon finish really mellows out the spicy side of this and gives it just a little kiss of sweetness on the end. 

Delightful!

Glad I bought two bottles. 

B95863D4-9154-4E85-86E2-F804D6D7C955.jpeg

On 6/9/2019 at 5:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

Master Blends 3???  One of my favorite sticks

?

• I like it 1

Took quite a few flights to earn this closure at the Delta Club, one double at a time. You know you're in New Orleans when the Club bar is open and running at 4:30am-- bless 'em.

IMG_1624.thumb.jpg.9cc0c016f827e8ceb9ae329160e5ea57.jpg

• I like it 5

On 6/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, smokinjoe said:

A local shop just put this on sale for $25. I was hesitant at MSRP, but I'm definitely picking one up at the sale price. I'm a pretty big fan of the KCBP rye and of the KC single barrel PS I've had. 

• I like it 3

I cracked the Wilderness Trail rye I bought at the distillery and had my first pour since the tasting at WT that prompted me to purchase in the first place. I like this one very much. A value play it is not but it is a very satisfying rye. I find it to be kind of a ryes greatest hits in that I get sweet, peppery spice, the rye bread note I get in SA 99p rye and also something that reminds me of the caraway seeds found in many rye breads, in other words a nice complex pour. I added a couple drops as it was a touch hot at BP and settled in for a nice ride. Once empty I will definitely replace it with another so it is now officially a staple of my rye catalog. 

I opened a bottle of New Riff Rye that I purchased over the weekend.  This is my first go with the rye.  I have tried the BIB bourbon and really like it.

The rye is good.  It has a nice deep color for a younger rye.  I catch a little mint on the nose but everything else seemed muted.  The taste is similar to the MGPI ryes with some floral grassy notes.  The finish builds up and lingers.  It seems to drink older than its age.  I like it.  However, that said, I am not sure I would opt for it at its current price over OF Rye or Pikesville.

I will enjoy and share this bottle but I will probably wait until New Riff offers older products before trying their rye again.  It would be a solid buy at $30 but is not so much at $40.  I actually like the BIB bourbon better and will probably buy another bottle soon which is interesting because rye tends to be a better option at 4 years old compared to bourbon.

I like what New Riff is doing and it will be interesting to follow along on their journey. 

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

I cracked the Wilderness Trail rye I bought at the distillery and had my first pour since the tasting at WT that prompted me to purchase in the first place. I like this one very much. A value play it is not but it is a very satisfying rye. I find it to be kind of a ryes greatest hits in that I get sweet, peppery spice, the rye bread note I get in SA 99p rye and also something that reminds me of the caraway seeds found in many rye breads, in other words a nice complex pour. I added a couple drops as it was a touch hot at BP and settled in for a nice ride. Once empty I will definitely replace it with another so it is now officially a staple of my rye catalog. 

I share your enthusiasm. I will keep buying their stuff.

The new Riff rye for me is a hit or  miss, been good, but other days been totally blend. 

Yeah I’ll need to savor the last few pours of this THH, it’s so good.

IMG_6897.jpg

• I like it 1

Very excited about cracking this open soon. 
AA17C8C7-1435-409E-B9A7-9189F20E589F.thumb.jpeg.80decbb2ccf3bd7653273e5e2c1a7db2.jpeg

Very cool been wanting this one for a while.
  • I like it 1

Opened its companion (ambassador) bourbon today, so what the heck.

6y cask strength MGP batched rye at 121.4p. 

Low dill factor, with delicious notes of spicy caramel dominating the sip.

The blend is wonderful, combining everything I love about MGP rye at a nice high proof.  Rich and full flavored. 

Arguably better than Redemption 10y, and I don’t say that lightly. 

This bottle is beautiful.  Wish I had a backup. 

5EFF28E8-F814-41FD-9720-2945CF31CB37.jpeg

This paperback version of Little Book should probably be classified as a Distilled Spirit Specialty. All I'm getting on the first pass is Walnuts and Aspartame-- no hint of rye or rum whatsoever.

My wife is going to love it.

IMG_1730.thumb.jpg.83cf2318b24161cb4b42b13a9cdd50b1.jpg

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 2

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This paperback version of Little Book should probably be classified as a Distilled Spirit Specialty. All I'm getting on the first pass is Walnuts and Aspartame-- no hint of rye or rum whatsoever.

I can't express how much I enjoyed the wit of this post, well done sir. 

• I like it 2

It’s an easy drinker for sure, but I actually do get the rum on the palate at the beginning and the rye comes through for me on the finish. As easy drinking as it is, my wife still wouldn’t like it.

Opened this one yesterday. 

Rumored to be 4-ish year old batched MGP 95/5 rye aged at least part of its life in NM. 

90p, fairly simple with a two dimensional lemon pepper sort of thing going on.

The rye spice is there, but it’s not the star of the show.  Probably very similar to Bulleit rye.

This is summer rye for a hot day, like today. 

:)?

51BFA655-9F47-499C-9A52-BFF7DD64A49A.jpeg

Edited by 0895

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.