What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess this is like bringing a knife to a gun fight but WP MGP 13yr BP is so much better than Baby Saz. Nothing wrong with the Saad but pretty boring and a somewhat off tasting finish. Really don’t get the Saz hype, I’d take WT101 Rye over it any day. That being said the WT101 rye is less common in Houston.

IMG_6964.jpg
IMG_6965.jpg

13 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I guess this is like bringing a knife to a gun fight but WP MGP 13yr BP is so much better than Baby Saz. Nothing wrong with the Saad but pretty boring and a somewhat off tasting finish. Really don’t get the Saz hype, I’d take WT101 Rye over it any day. That being said the WT101 rye is less common in Houston.

IMG_6964.jpg
IMG_6965.jpg

For me, the hype on the Baby Saz is due to its Mashbill that inhabits a taste profile lane that only it and TH Handy occupy.  The baking spice, nutmeg, big Thanksgiving flavors, are a one-of-a-kind experience.  Perhaps, the THH would have fared better in this comparison, where I believe that profile stills shows well. That being said, I have been less impressed with Baby Saz the last couple of years.  I’m not sure what the website says now, but it started out as promoted as a 6 year whiskey.  Personally, I don’t think it’s that old, currently.  It doesn’t have the heaviness and lushness that I remember from previous years.  I still enjoy it for its stand out profile, but I feel/hope it can/will return (or exceed) what it once was.  

• I like it 2

For me, the hype on the Baby Saz is due to its Mashbill that inhabits a taste profile lane that only it and TH Handy occupy.  The baking spice, nutmeg, big Thanksgiving flavors, are a one-of-a-kind experience.  Perhaps, the THH would have fared better in this comparison, where I believe that profile stills shows well. That being said, I have been less impressed with Baby Saz the last couple of years.  I’m not sure what the website says now, but it started out as promoted as a 6 year whiskey.  Personally, I don’t think it’s that old, currently.  It doesn’t have the heaviness and lushness that I remember from previous years.  I still enjoy it for its stand out profile, but I feel/hope it can/will return (or exceed) what it once was.  

I guess I get the hype, I’ve not had nearly as many exceptional pours as you but THH is one of my favorites and i think is much better than the WP MGP.

Before I got into bourbon I was actually into rye, about close to 10 years ago and remember this being much better. Not good enough to pay a premium over stuff like JB rye but better. Very disappointing. At the same time WT101 rye is even better, but may be that my tastes have evolved.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

IMG_6964.jpg
IMG_6965.jpg

I like Saz for around $25. I'd rather have WT101 Rye and also Ritt BIB, though. 

• I like it 1

Saz is usually about $35 here, but I think it's closer to a $15-20 bottle myself. It's such a flacid, limp rye, with little spice or complexity to speak of. It seems like it's bottled to appeal to people who like bourbon, but not rye. Perhaps as Joe suggests, this is no longer what it once was.

Rittenhouse, WT, Old Forester Rye, etc, are just so much better at their respective price points in my opinion. Heck, I put Old Overholt and Dickel Rye above it too.

Edited by EarthQuake

16 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Saz is usually about $35 here, but I think it's closer to a $15-20 bottle myself. It's such a flacid, limp rye, with little spice or complexity to speak of. It seems like it's bottled to appeal to people who like bourbon, but not rye. Perhaps as Joe suggests, this is no longer what it once was.

Rittenhouse, WT, Old Forester Rye, etc, are just so much better at their respective price points in my opinion. Heck, I put Old Overholt and Dickel Rye above it too.

I think Baby Saz makes the best Sazerac cocktail though.  I did a shootout with Saz, Ritt, and Willett 3 year and found I liked the Saz the best in the cocktail.  Its got a floral quality that the others didn't have.  Not the spiciest for sure.  For straight sipping I picked the Willett out of that lineup.  I do like the new OF Rye as well.  It's got some floral-ness going on as well along with spice.  Haven't made a Saz with it yet, though.

• I like it 1

I picked up the KC SiB (one if my favorites) and my first bottle of OF Rye. I figured I needed to do a sbs with my favorite price friendly rye in Ritt BIB

OF  bourbon has never clicked for me. I always get an overwhelming acetone finish. The rye has a little bit of that, but not quite as bad. The Ritt is more my profile, but I see why the OF has opened so many eyes. It sure is nice to have a pair of really nice ryes for less than $25. 

20190702_195209.jpg

20190702_195324.jpg

• I like it 2

I'm sipping some KC Small Batch Rye.  It's decent, but I think I prefer The Old Overholt B.I.B. expression.  The NCF makes for such a rich and creamy texture.  I'm not sorry I got the KC Rye.  It was on sale, and it won't go to waste.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Which do you think I bought? 

3A530A30-95FB-4D27-B892-E48A77D3C259.jpeg

I love it when retailers think we can't do simple math. And for those who can't,  we all have a calculator on our phone.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Which do you think I bought? 

3A530A30-95FB-4D27-B892-E48A77D3C259.jpeg

I didn't know it was available in a 750.

• I like it 1

Bought and opened New Riff Rye today. I had read that's really spicy but doesnt have the pickle like MPG rye of similar age.  This made me intrigued, as I'm not a fan of the big pickle flavor.

I gotta say, I really like this pour. If it were $35 I'd have this around all the time. It's still pretty solid at the $45 I spent. 

I recommend this to those that like high rye straight rye whiskey. 

• I like it 1

I was dipping into the New Riff Rye last night too. Meat for me, Manhattans for the Mrs. A damn fine whiskey they have there.

I was dipping into the New Riff Rye last night too. Meat for me, Manhattans for the Mrs. A damn fine whiskey they have there.

Yeah, it’s always “meat” for you Rich! [emoji6][emoji23]
  • I like it 1

This had a beautiful and unique nose, and not much else. Wasted opportunity for WP and a waste of money for me.

IMG_20190704_233109.jpg

• I like it 2

Yeah, it’s always “meat” for you Rich! [emoji6][emoji23]

Touché. You’ve seen the size of these gorilla clubs. I shouldn’t be allowed to use electronics with a keyboard/pad.
  • I like it 1

Hopefully I’ll be breaking into this soon. My local just got the Barrel delivered and there has been some buzz around this rye. 13.5 years and a whopping 136 proof!

EE65C06F-104D-4B53-975E-5A467C34028F.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Adam777 said:

Hopefully I’ll be breaking into this soon. My local just got the Barrel delivered and there has been some buzz around this rye. 13.5 years and a whopping 136 proof!

EE65C06F-104D-4B53-975E-5A467C34028F.jpeg

I don't know anything about this rye, but just from the color it looks like Alberta (Canadian) Rye. Should be good.

38 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I don't know anything about this rye, but just from the color it looks like Alberta (Canadian) Rye. Should be good.

That’s what I think from talking with the employees who did the pick. Mammoth sources from several different distilleries and I believe they didn’t know about this particular barrel marking it a “unknown barrel select”. Low fill and yielded 140 bottles.

37730494-A69C-4501-A98C-B463E13275D1.jpeg

Edited by Adam777

21 hours ago, Adam777 said:

That’s what I think from talking with the employees who did the pick. Mammoth sources from several different distilleries and I believe they didn’t know about this particular barrel marking it a “unknown barrel select”. Low fill and yielded 140 bottles.

Anything is possible but it is a bit hard imagining that a distillery doesn't know anything about what is in a barrel they picked!

• I like it 3

Grabbed this on the way home.  
48243736447_9fd30c5a50_c.jpg

Man, still waiting on this to hit where I am.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.