What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve got some baby saz in the glass. It’s perfectly fine but kind of boring. Just me and my odd preferences.

I wouldn’t say that. It’s true that it isn’t the most complex whiskey at all which probably leads your palate to find it boring. I just happen to love the flavor that is there. I like it like an 8 year old likes cherry koolaid. Just can’t get enough.

26 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

I wouldn’t say that. It’s true that it isn’t the most complex whiskey at all which probably leads your palate to find it boring. I just happen to love the flavor that is there. I like it like an 8 year old likes cherry koolaid. Just can’t get enough.

Well it doesn’t really matter if you would say that Baby Saz is boring. HoustonNit certainly can say it’s boring. Everyone has a different palate and different opinions. 

I tend to also think that Baby Saz is a little boring but it really sings in the Handy form at barrel proof (and presumably a year or two older than current Baby Saz). But then again some of us just prefer higher proof ryes in general whether its BT or not. On the plus sides for Baby Saz, the bottle is a classic and it’s a pretty good value, as I can almost always get it for about $28 here. 

Well it doesn’t really matter if you would say that Baby Saz is boring. HoustonNit certainly can say it’s boring. Everyone has a different palate and different opinions. 

I tend to also think that Baby Saz is a little boring but it really sings in the Handy form at barrel proof (and presumably a year or two older than current Baby Saz). But then again some of us just prefer higher proof ryes in general whether its BT or not. On the plus sides for Baby Saz, the bottle is a classic and it’s a pretty good value, as I can almost always get it for about $28 here. 

Ha cheery koolaid is a good analogy. I kid it’s good whiskey nothing offensive just for me I wish a little more was going on. I hadn’t it in years. I remember maybe 10 years ago there was only a few eyes out I could find this easy but Rittenhouse use to always stock out. Times have changed.

Handy yes is fantastic, think I’ll treat myself tonight.

Baby saz might as well be fruit juice to me. Last thing I want when drinking neat, though I suppose it'd play well in a cocktail. I just don't ever plan to find out.

I think baby saz would be better at a higher proof. At 90 it's just way too soft and subtle. Really not what I want out of a rye whiskey. At 100-110 it might be a bit more interesting.

I think baby saz would be better at a higher proof. At 90 it's just way too soft and subtle. Really not what I want out of a rye whiskey. At 100-110 it might be a bit more interesting.

Exact thoughts, it would hold up and taste much better at 100+ proof.
  • I like it 1

Happy to find a 2019 release of the Michter’s BS rye for a decent price.  I had previously seen the new release for $130 and up, which is ridiculous.  I have a nice stockpile of the 2016 release, but this is a fave, so happy to add another one.

6B3B9035-FF60-40F4-8D0A-759A867CA5CD.jpeg

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Happy to find a 2019 release of the Michter’s BS rye for a decent price.  I had previously seen the new release for $130 and up, which is ridiculous.  I have a nice stockpile of the 2016 release, but this is a fave, so happy to add another one.

What is retail supposed to be on these? I can let you know if I see any, I know of at least one place for $89

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Given that the Michter's 10yo Rye rolls for $110-- $130 and above for that expression seems quite a stretch.

Having a glass of a TWE Millstone rye pick from a few years ago. As good as any Whistlepig single barrel pick I've had. Plus I get a kick that it's Dutch.

Ok maybe this was really unfair, knife to a gun fight and any other fitting analogy but did these two SBS:

IMG_7530.jpg

I really like the Handy. I mean almost everyone that likes bourbon/rye really likes Handy but I think I like it even more than normal. Some really great dried fruits like cherry or raisins. That plus something that reminds me of this German rye bread they sell at my local grocery store.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-select-ingredients-bauern-brot-german-rye-bread-scratch-made/2104957

It’s mostly rye but does have a sour dough taste as well. I remember sniffing the Handy when I got this bottle and thinking damn that smells like the bread from HEB. I pulled out my loaf and they smelled very similar.

The finish is long. I mean I don’t think I could drink it everyday as my daily but it may be my last request pour before the gallows.

The Baby Saz tastes like pink regular bubble gum. Not a bad thing but that’s it. No finish, I mean I’d still rather have it over a ton of different pours but hey, I’d rather have EWB.
  • I like it 1

I've never done the side by side but I didn't get a clear connection when I've tried Baby Saz and Handy seperately. In Handy there is richness, depth, complexity. Baby Saz could easily be confused for a cheap Canadian rye like Canadian Club.

I've never done the side by side but I didn't get a clear connection when I've tried Baby Saz and Handy seperately. In Handy there is richness, depth, complexity. Baby Saz could easily be confused for a cheap Canadian rye like Canadian Club.

I wouldn’t go that far. CC is alright for what you pay for. No I kid Baby Saz is certainly better but nothing special.

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I wouldn’t go that far. CC is alright for what you pay for. No I kid Baby Saz is certainly better but nothing special.

Okay, Crown Royal Harvest Rye.

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

What is retail supposed to be on these? I can let you know if I see any, I know of at least one place for $89

All good, thanks Kevin.  Retail on the 2016 release was I think $70, and I had no problem picking up a bunch at $70-$85.  I would think retail should be similar on the 2019, but not sure.  Again, Michter's shenanigans aside, I think this is a terrific product, and fairly priced (in that range).  For whatever reason, I guess a Michter's limited edition "tax", I've come across the 2019 release at laughable prices.  In any case, I am well stocked.

• I like it 1

Brought home a couple Ryes today... One a well known and frequently enjoyed offering from OF... The other a whiskey I hadn't tried yet from KC.

WP_20190801_003.jpg

• I like it 2

Brought home a couple Ryes today... One a well known and frequently enjoyed offering from OF... The other a whiskey I hadn't tried yet from KC.

WP_20190801_003.thumb.jpg.ada9407550594c6912cc05c7a401fc33.jpg

You didn’t waste any time on opening the twice barreled. I like that.

Yep, I was anxious to try the KC

What's not as easy to see is that I had opened the OF too... The neck sleeve didn't detach and just screwed off along with the cap. So by picture time both bottles had given up a healthy pour!

• I like it 1

That's an amazing price on the twice barreled rye...

13 hours ago, jwperry said:
On 8/1/2019 at 9:26 PM, MOwhisky4me said:

That's an amazing price on the twice barreled rye...

I think it hasn't sold very well.  I came across a liquor store in Maryland that had it discounted to $19.99 this week.

• I like it 2

On 8/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, MOwhisky4me said:

Yep, I was anxious to try the KC

How is it?

I've been super curious, but not enough to pull the trigger.

KC rye is historically too much on the sweet side of the rye spectrum for me.

Edited by 0895

I think it hasn't sold very well.  I came across a liquor store in Maryland that had it discounted to $19.99 this week.

Crazy I think I saw for $68.99 at a store here in Houston and that was supposedly a sales price.

Crazy I think I saw for $68.99 at a store here in Houston and that was supposedly a sales price.
That's what it was first offered for around Central Florida. It's dropped down to the mid $40 range and is holding.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.