What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, jwperry said:
1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Crazy I think I saw for $68.99 at a store here in Houston and that was supposedly a sales price.

That's what it was first offered for around Central Florida. It's dropped down to the mid $40 range and is holding.

Retail was supposed to be $40ish IIRC

Retail was supposed to be $40ish IIRC
It was the same price as the cask strength when it hit market here. Not surprising the tourist trap has atypical pricing compared to the rest of the country.

7 hours ago, jwperry said:
7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Crazy I think I saw for $68.99 at a store here in Houston and that was supposedly a sales price.

That's what it was first offered for around Central Florida. It's dropped down to the mid $40 range and is holding.

Mid to upper $40s in Indy.  I would give it a try at $26.99.

• I like it 1

WT Cornerstone-

Very underwhelming upon opening/first pour. Day 2 and I am getting a little bit of elegance out of it. This one is going to be either a disappointment (relative to price paid), or will take quite a bit of air time to become something. Not exactly disappointing, but will not be looking for another. This has a definite Turkey signature to it, but dollar for dollar the WP store picks (12-13+ year range) just annihilate this, same with KY Owl.

• I like it 1

WT Cornerstone-
Very underwhelming upon opening/first pour. Day 2 and I am getting a little bit of elegance out of it. This one is going to be either a disappointment (relative to price paid), or will take quite a bit of air time to become something. Not exactly disappointing, but will not be looking for another. This has a definite Turkey signature to it, but dollar for dollar the WP store picks (12-13+ year range) just annihilate this, same with KY Owl.

Thanks for sharing. This seems to be the first negative review that I’ve seen or at least first anyone has admitted this. I’m not in the market. I like Turkey rye but that’s just too high a price.

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Thanks for sharing. This seems to be the first negative review that I’ve seen or at least first anyone has admitted this. I’m not in the market. I like Turkey rye but that’s just too high a price.

Here's a link to a just-posted side by side by side review that reflects the same sentiment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/clzz6s/review_110112_318320_wild_turkery_cornerstone_vs/

Edited by DeltaAlphaVictorEasy
  • I like it 2

7 hours ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

WT Cornerstone-

It will be an alligator arm reach for my wallet to fork over the big dollars for this bottle, but I will anyway based on the 9-11 year old, Barrel Proof, NCF, specs, coupled with the fact I think WT Rye is a great punch in the nose rye whiskey at its standard 101.  If I don’t like it though, I don’t think airtime is going to make a difference to me...I’m more of a Feng Shui disciple with my whiskey manipulation antics.  It’s much more controllable and precise in dialing in the whiskey to agree with my palate... ;)

• I like it 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, 0895 said:

How is it?

I've been super curious, but not enough to pull the trigger.

KC rye is historically too much on the sweet side of the rye spectrum for me.

I'd say your experience with KC rye holds true with this one as well. It's softer and sweeter than most ryes I've had, but I actually like that quality. There is some spiciness, but it's not as forward as the typical rye.

At $26.99 it was good enough for me to go pick up a couple more, but if it was priced at $40+ I don't think I'd have grabbed anymore.

Hmmmmm... Seems as though my Submit button drank too much rye whiskey and somehow posted a few copies! Dang button can't hold it's liquor!

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, DeltaAlphaVictorEasy said:

Here's a link to a just-posted side by side by side review that reflects the same sentiment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bourbon/comments/clzz6s/review_110112_318320_wild_turkery_cornerstone_vs/

This makes a good deal of sense to me. These MGP WP10 picks have been outstanding. Really, some of the best rye whiskey I have ever had, regardless of price. I think WP could have put out a new label, made a big deal out of it being 12+ year old MGP barrel proof, and easily sold them at $150-200. But they went out in the store pick program for $80, and they are a hell of a good buy at that price point.

The standard RRSiB Rye is also one of the best goddamned ryes on the market too. When you factor in price point and availability, it's really hard to do better.

My guess would be the Cornerstone probably scored a little lower here than it would on its own, because it was up against two really good ryes. But yeah, that $175 price point is a bit off-putting to me - is it going to be 2x better than a solid WP pick? Or 3x better than RRSiB? Unlikely on both counts.

Interesting old school stuff— dense and austere, sour versus sweet, black-peppered oak with savory spices— and a great delivery. Takes water well and has a true finish. 

6720A1DA-42B2-451C-9A52-E8EDCBA045A2.thumb.jpeg.7cb647c58a5df22dbe6677dbd21d03fc.jpeg

• I like it 8

From the next page of tuition whiskey, I'm opening up some bottles of Rye. 

Knob Creek Rye bottling from 2016, Bulleitt 95 Rye bottling from 2016, and a Lot 40 Canadian Rye from 2019.   

I can't get to some of the finer bottles of rye so these three will have to suffice as counterpoints to each other for this rye day Fry-day throw down.   

• I like it 2

Bought this bottle at a Pikesville tasting right after this stuff was released (in 2015 I think?) and it was fairly hard to locate at the time...

Its been waiting patiently for a spot on the shelf for several years, and today I decided not to procrastinate it any longer, as I finished another bottle of similar size. 

This is really darn good!

Probably why I bought it. 

:)

31BF36B8-CFD2-4F03-ABEE-B3672538D76B.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 8/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, Marekv8 said:

Interesting old school stuff— dense and austere, sour versus sweet, black-peppered oak with savory spices— and a great delivery. Takes water well and has a true finish. 

I had told myself I was definitely going to pass on Cornerstone but it sounds great.

2 hours ago, Spade said:

I had told myself I was definitely going to pass on Cornerstone but it sounds great.

Absolutely!  Cornerstone may pass on me but I won't pass on it.

Finishing up the night with Turkey Rye.

C2598DDF-2537-4612-88CC-EE2DC0D9E129.jpeg

• I like it 7

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Finishing up the night with Turkey Rye.

C2598DDF-2537-4612-88CC-EE2DC0D9E129.jpeg

I think the old Austin Nichols Rye bottles are my favorite looking bottles of all.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, bourbon-n00b said:

Absolutely!  Cornerstone may pass on me but I won't pass on it.

I'm excited as I've purchased a bottle and arranged for my brother to pick it up for me.

• I like it 1

Picked up a local rye while at the county fair last night. County stores haven’t been carrying much anymore and still at the original pricing which about $30 more than I can get it directly from the distillery. Hadn’t had any in a while since I don’t get over that way much. Looking forward to cracking soon. It’s a four grain finished in used bourbon casks. Young but man some great stuff.
IMG_3117.jpg

On 8/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, Marekv8 said:

So I had a chance to do a SBS with several ryes when we opened the Cornerstone. This was of course done as a blind tasting with two of us trying them.

BC8F378F-0069-4381-930B-AC243D09F880.thumb.jpeg.2d90fc5ce0d7293bd6c9d261730eb8c8.jpeg

The RR was off the shelf from a couple of years ago. The CEHT was from the original release (and quite frankly seemed a bit flat. Not sure why but not much use as a comparison). The Michter was a 2008 bottle that many think is much older than 10 years. The KO is Batch 1 if I remember correctly. 

The Cornerstone was the only one newly opened. I agree with Dave that it was a solid, enjoyable whiskey although my initial impression wasn’t perhaps quite as strong. But I found the RE Rye to also be quite enjoyable if not as dense and long in the finish. But at 4 times the price (at a minimum) is the Cornerstone 4 times as good????

Ummmm, no I just can’t go there (and neither did the other person tasting with me). So I expect the Cornerstone will be one bottle and then done for me. The first Master’s Keep remains my favorite even though I know it wasn’t necessarily everyone’s favorite!

• I like it 3

17 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So I had a chance to do a SBS with several ryes when we opened the Cornerstone. This was of course done as a blind tasting with two of us trying them.

BC8F378F-0069-4381-930B-AC243D09F880.thumb.jpeg.2d90fc5ce0d7293bd6c9d261730eb8c8.jpeg

The RR was off the shelf from a couple of years ago. The CEHT was from the original release (and quite frankly seemed a bit flat. Not sure why but not much use as a comparison). The Michter was a 2008 bottle that many think is much older than 10 years. The KO is Batch 1 if I remember correctly. 

The Cornerstone was the only one newly opened. I agree with Dave that it was a solid, enjoyable whiskey although my initial impression wasn’t perhaps quite as strong. But I found the RE Rye to also be quite enjoyable if not as dense and long in the finish. But at 4 times the price (at a minimum) is the Cornerstone 4 times as good????

Ummmm, no I just can’t go there (and neither did the other person tasting with me). So I expect the Cornerstone will be one bottle and then done for me. The first Master’s Keep remains my favorite even though I know it wasn’t necessarily everyone’s favorite!

Funny, I was thinking about doing a similar comparative set with many of the same players-- would help to slot it into perspective. The Cornerstone appealed to me as a Scotch drinker, as it didn't have the "delicious and sweet" attributes commonly found in American whiskey. Compared to an $80.00 THH or $110.00 M10 Rye, the $150.00 Cornerstone is certainly no bargain-- which is probably why they're sitting deep on shelves (along with the last couple of Master's Keep releases).

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This is the biggest thing keeping me from getting excited about Cornerstone. I've gone through a few bottles of RRRSiB and all have been fantastic, and at $65. I just found another bottle at $50 on a trip to WI. For $50 this is the best damn rye on the market and it's not close.

On the other hand, I really, really like RR, so I would probably really enjoy the Cornerstone too. If I see it locally I'll probably cave, because I am weak.

Interesting to hear about your experience with the CEHT Rye - I got a bottle a few years ago that I really, really liked. But the more I drank, the less I liked it (it's usually the other way around for me). So I wonder if, for whatever reason, it doesn't hold up well to oxidation? I don't really know how to explain it otherwise.

• I like it 1

Picked up this OF Rye yesterday and couldn’t wait to try. Been waiting for this to hit where I am and finally did yesterday. Wasn’t even in the system yet but found out thanks to an insider tip. Forgot to snap a pic of the pour. Man it doesn’t disappoint. Don’t have a huge wealth of experience with rye’s but wow. Vastly different and I’m sure the mid range rye content of 65% is part of it. Floral and spicy initially on the palate changing to fruity, peaches,with the spice pulling back. Then floral and fruity and with the spice coming back on the finish.
IMG_3118.jpg

• I like it 1

Grabbed a Baby Saz for less than $30 today.  A bargain compared to my home market! 

The Mrs and I were in WI for a family thing and stopped in Madison to see some of the town and stay overnight. The first place we went to was the local TW because it was just a few blocks away from our hotel. I thought I might pick up some WI beers but the selection was almost too much. I would have needed a pick up truck to carry away a six of every WI beer there.

Not all was lost though. I found WT Rye 101 in the 1L bottle for $33, cheaper than I could find it locally and called it a good day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.