What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up the JD Tennessee Tasters Rye based on the positive words above. Looking forward to it.
IMG_20190902_222229.thumb.jpg.18d49fef414d3ec1472864ea69186647.jpg

I predict that you will like both of those bottles, and you’ll probably wish that you had picked up two of the ryes!
  • I like it 1

Picked this up a couple months ago, finally cracked it open.

20190904_174816.jpg

• I like it 2

Going in blind with EHT Rye vs High West Double Rye. Had to actually close my eyes and literally taste blind due to color difference. No contest, the High West tastes young and yeasty. It has the same taste that I do not care for that I find in many high rye bourbons that are not aged long enough. For me, age is very important in high rye bourbons or straight rye whiskeys. EHT has way more refined spice and herbal notes. Preferred the EHT Rye by a long shot.

eht rye thumb.jpg

• I like it 1

As I noted on the bottle commiseration page, I just finished off a Pikesville Rye 110.  I finished the last ounce or so while grilling salmon and zucchini.  As the zucchini wasn't done (ASIDE - this stuff grows to HUGE tubes; think little league BATS!!), I poured a couple ounces of OldFor Rye 100.

I could swear the OF Rye had some Woodford Reserve Cherry Bitters in it.  Anybody else get that when sipping OF Rye neat?

Whatever, I like them both.  The Pikesville is about double the price of the OF here.  Nevertheless, I shall continue to buy the Pikesville, to supplement my OF Rye stash, just because . . .

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I could swear the OF Rye had some Woodford Reserve Cherry Bitters in it.  Anybody else get that when sipping OF Rye neat?

I just poured some, and I get some of what you're describing. 

23 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I just poured some, and I get some of what you're describing. 

It is NOT a bad thing, but it isa surprise.  It probably is why I like it for Manhattans  because I can cut down on the cherry syrup I dribble in when I put the cherries in.

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Just purchased and opened.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190909213733256.jpg

I grabbed one of these the other day, but haven't opened it yet. Curious as to your thoughts on this??

1 hour ago, Galvin0791 said:

I grabbed one of these the other day, but haven't opened it yet. Curious as to your thoughts on this??

Second pour and really enjoying how different it is compared to MGP and HH ryes. It resembles the standard KC rye. No pickle or sour rye bread here. Drinks like a very aggressive bourbon, it's quite sweet with typical flavors of caramel, cinnamon, and corn... but you can tell it's amped-up with something else. I can't help but think of dried chili peppers or maybe tabasco, there is some tasty heat. Surprisingly little oak for the purported 9yr age.

Not my favorite rye, but a good purchase.

• I like it 1

Grabbed a 4 year old Willet. Probably overpaid but haven’t seen it in my neck of the woods for eons. Hopefully as good as I remember.

Remember how vermouthy the early batches of YKY were?

I do. 

Finally decided to just bite the bullet and drink this batch two down.   I’ve looked at and moved it around the bunker long enough. 

Cutting it with some WFE 4y rye to knock the vermouth back about 20% and it’s much more tolerable. 

Cheers!

?

86C0F005-52C0-4628-9D32-BE3984E0B6BD.jpeg

13 hours ago, 0895 said:

I do. 

Finally decided to just bite the bullet and drink this batch two down.   I’ve looked at and moved it around the bunker long enough. 

Cutting it with some WFE 4y rye to knock the vermouth back about 20% and it’s much more tolerable. 

Cheers!

?

86C0F005-52C0-4628-9D32-BE3984E0B6BD.jpeg

I'm still sitting on a Batch 8.  I bought 2 of them when it came out.  Immediately regretted it when I tried it.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, 0895 said:

Remember it??? Hell, that was why I liked it!!! If only they were still as good.

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Remember it??? Hell, that was why I liked it!!! If only they were still as good.

Lid for every pot 

:)

• I like it 1

Picked this up on a recommendation from PaulO.  Wasn’t a tough choice considering the price and the positive reactions to it that I have read here.   Couldn’t find this on the shelf of any of the stores that I frequent. One was nice enough to order it for me.  Second small pour in and I am not disappointed.  Hopefully somebody starts keeping it in stock in my area.  

926E2F2A-93FA-483F-9804-1F78027ACA2B.jpeg

• I like it 2

Stopped by Rock Town Distillery yesterday while on my 10 day road trip. They still do a mix of 15, 25 and 53 gallon barrels to make their different whiskies (reportedly moving to just 25 and 53 as soon as they can) but they did have some 4 yo BIB Rye that was aged in a 53 gallon barrel as one of their Anniversary special releases. Had a small taste and it seemed ok but decided not to get as it was $45 or so for a 375ml. 967EDD0E-DADC-4AEA-8830-89A40EB049DE.thumb.jpeg.809245a4750b52696e4968c015408402.jpeg97DCA03B-5D53-4AE7-978B-AC28872E3A07.thumb.jpeg.972e69f3964f51b00813fc66d2d40c9e.jpegC4A0CBDB-D4C5-4C8C-BCAC-DE243B39BBDD.thumb.jpeg.18158079a2b1554bcdce6c893b097bed.jpeg

• I like it 2

Bought and opened this today. It's my second bottle. I sure do love this stuff. In excited to try their barrel proof SiB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.