What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped by Rock Town Distillery yesterday while on my 10 day road trip. They still do a mix of 15, 25 and 53 gallon barrels to make their different whiskies (reportedly moving to just 25 and 53 as soon as they can) but they did have some 4 yo BIB Rye that was aged in a 53 gallon barrel as one of their Anniversary special releases. Had a small taste and it seemed ok but decided not to get as it was $45 or so for a 375ml. 967EDD0E-DADC-4AEA-8830-89A40EB049DE.thumb.jpeg.809245a4750b52696e4968c015408402.jpeg97DCA03B-5D53-4AE7-978B-AC28872E3A07.thumb.jpeg.972e69f3964f51b00813fc66d2d40c9e.jpegC4A0CBDB-D4C5-4C8C-BCAC-DE243B39BBDD.thumb.jpeg.18158079a2b1554bcdce6c893b097bed.jpeg

Well, that’s a bargain compared to Peerless, and it’s got more age on it too! [emoji6]

Bought and opened this today. It's my second bottle. I sure do love this stuff. In excited to try their barrel proof SiB.

Must have forgot the pic.

11 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Bought and opened this today. It's my second bottle. I sure do love this stuff. In excited to try their barrel proof SiB.

3 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Must have forgot the pic.

Oops. 

20190919_213017.jpg

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, that’s a bargain compared to Peerless, and it’s got more age on it too! emoji6.png

Yeah, not sure that helps much! If it had been a 750 for $45 I might have taken the bait.

• I like it 1

Man, perhaps it’s an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing, but I picked up a Rittenhouse BIB today after a long time of not having it around, and it is blowing my socks off.  Baking spice, rye grain chewiness, and wonderful earthy notes, before a sizzling pop on the finish.  Seemingly, perfect for the cooler Fall weather coming up, for me.  

DAF0084C-A963-4FD9-9874-A55150C33380.jpeg

• I like it 5

Man, perhaps it’s an absence makes the heart grow fonder kind of thing, but I picked up a Rittenhouse BIB today after a long time of not having it around, and it is blowing my socks off.  Baking spice, rye grain chewiness, and wonderful earthy notes, before a sizzling pop on the finish.  Seemingly, perfect for the cooler Fall weather coming up, for me.  
DAF0084C-A963-4FD9-9874-A55150C33380.thumb.jpeg.88d1e77d41fb1550fbafae2c7cafce4d.jpeg

I’d say from the level in that bottle that it looks like you are definitely enjoying it!

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I’d say from the level in that bottle that it looks like you are definitely enjoying it!

Ha!  Embarrassingly, I noticed the same thing...  :D  It is really dang good...

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ha!  Embarrassingly, I noticed the same thing...  :D  It is really dang good...

It's been a while since you made me ponder revisiting a label I have decided to move away from. Crap.

• I like it 1

Has anyone here had the Ezra Brooks rye? It’s 90 proof MGP, didn’t see an age statement so I’m assuming at least 4 years. It’s $10.99, that or even double for MGP rye at a respectable proof, what am I missing?

Edit: Search button is my friend this appears to be two years old and quite bland from the people that tried it. Oh well.

12 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Has anyone here had the Ezra Brooks rye? It’s 90 proof MGP, didn’t see an age statement so I’m assuming at least 4 years. It’s $10.99, that or even double for MGP rye at a respectable proof, what am I missing?

Edit: Search button is my friend this appears to be two years old and quite bland from the people that tried it. Oh well.

If you want some MGP rye, I say pay a couple bucks more to get Dickle or Bulleit.  Those are at least four years old.

The Ezra Brooks is bland and has notes of white dog.

• I like it 2

On 9/7/2019 at 1:24 AM, PaulO said:

I described it as cherry cola.

This could really be a thing for me. Have to try this next time I'm in the US.

I bought a second bottle of a KCRSP from two years ago according to the asst mgr. For some reason it isn't moving out the door so the price has been dropped down to $32.99 for 750 ml of 115 proof goodness. That's about $6 more than the usual KCR that sits on the shelves. If they decide to have a fire sale on the rest, I'll be there with Visa card in hand.

• I like it 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:54 AM, Postal Grunt said:

I bought a second bottle of a KCRSP from two years ago according to the asst mgr. For some reason it isn't moving out the door so the price has been dropped down to $32.99 for 750 ml of 115 proof goodness. That's about $6 more than the usual KCR that sits on the shelves. If they decide to have a fire sale on the rest, I'll be there with Visa card in hand.

I'm glad you got a good one. I tried about 3 before I concluded that these went out the door too young, and were grassy and grainy.

Finding a great one would have been an enviable value, indeed. But I'm sitting on 3 dogs now that I have to get through at some point.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm glad you got a good one. I tried about 3 before I concluded that these went out the door too young, and were grassy and grainy.

Finding a great one would have been an enviable value, indeed. But I'm sitting on 3 dogs now that I have to get through at some point.

Interesting, wonder if it's a profile thing, I haven't had one yet I didn't find to be very good. 

Interesting, wonder if it's a profile thing, I haven't had one yet I didn't find to be very good. 

I’m in between I liked it but didn’t love it I’d rather pick up stuff that’s cheaper like WT101 rye or slightly more like Pikesville.

Maybe as Black Tot mentioned I’ll wait a few years and come back to it.
  • I like it 1

I thought the 9yr was really excellent, which is what led me to think that the store picks would have benefited from more age.

• I like it 1

On 9/22/2019 at 1:01 PM, flahute said:

It's been a while since you made me ponder revisiting a label I have decided to move away from. Crap.

With cooler weather coming up, we are getting ready for Manhattan season in our house.  Lately, the new OF Rye has replaced all other ryes (except Ritt's cousin, Pikesville 110) in cocktails (especially since WT 101 Rye is hard to find here), and I have purchased multiples of the OF since a local store started stocking it after I asked.  I think I, too, should stop ignoring Ritt.  So, thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.