What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally bit on the Peerless since the price was substantially less than I’ve ever seen it before. The Hochstadter 16yo is one I’ve wanted for a while and finally bit the bullet and bought it.

IMG_6574.JPG

• I like it 2

I’ve been going around and around with a rye I had expected to really enjoy. A few months back I purchased a WTRR rye, the sb version, I am about 1/2 way through it and having tasted it on several occasions. The conclusion remains the same, its OK at best. Now I am a big WT fan going back decades but I didn’t explore the rye until this bottle. At 60 ish dollars there are many/ most ryes I enjoy more, in fact all my other ryes outshine this one. I poured some new riff as a follow up and sbs. Here is a young 100% rye and less$, it absolutely out does this particular RR BARREL in all categories taste, complexity, finish...

Just a cautionary tale of single barrel fickleness I guess. BTW this is an off the rack RR NOT a store pick so, this may be the profile OR an off barrel OR it and I just don’t get along. 

I will sbs this with the upcoming RB rye which I hope is a whole lot better than this. If it were 30.00 it would be OK  but at 60 I expect much better and this one just doesn’t deliver.

back to my pour of New Riff, which is excellent so things are looking up LOL!!

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 9/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, Clueby said:

Picked up my Thanksgiving bottle tonight. When it gets opened I'll do a sbsbs with Act 3, Act 6, and Act 7.

20190928_182819-784x1613.jpg

I tried to order that one online, but TWCP is no longer shipping into VA.

40 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I tried to order that one online, but TWCP is no longer shipping into VA.

I missed it there but another local held a bottle for me (albeit $10 higher than TWCP had it for).

My traditional 4:30am Sky Club double of WhistePig 15 on my way to Seattle…

IMG_3020.jpg.thumb.jpg.2bc4fa0f6ba6e7a03476c2857e300639.jpg

• I like it 1

On 9/28/2019 at 7:26 PM, Clueby said:

Picked up my Thanksgiving bottle tonight. When it gets opened I'll do a sbsbs with Act 3, Act 6, and Act 7.

I think I already know the winner 

?

5 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

73681B54-C150-4F61-A178-01926A6EC417.jpeg

Open it soon. You will not regret it, I promise. 

Cheers 

My traditional 4:30am double Whistlepig 15 at the Sky Club— 

EE80776E-3AE9-455B-BA92-746F72095C99.thumb.jpeg.7d7297c8ddae8d25adbdd914b5b06932.jpeg

Breakfast of Champions?

30 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Breakfast of Champions?

No, breakfast for guys that need to sleep three hours on the plane. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

That explains it! 

I was trying to figure out how you function by starting the day off like this!

• I like it 1

You're a pilot? [emoji1787]
  • I like it 2

3 minutes ago, jwperry said:

You're a pilot? emoji1787.png

Not any more..... ?          

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Bought this today...yes, it’s not cheap, but I think it is fantastic. If I find another, I’ll probably buy it.

IMG_0106.JPG

• I like it 3

After my experience with the PH Rye, I decided to open my two other recent purchases and compare. For me the winner is still the PH. I just love the smokiness that I’m getting from those level 5 charred barrels. The Turkey is a close second, but different,and much sweeter on the palate when compared against the PH. The Peerless is good for what it is, and I can definitely see it becoming a really good rye when it gets closer to the age of the other two. As it stands right now, I’m glad that I was able to pick it up for $79, so I don’t feel too bad about the price. I won’t be buying another for a few years.

I’m going to have to spend some more time with the Turkey before I can decide whether I’ll pick up another. It’s pretty good, but it’s the most expensive of the three, and right now, I think I like the PH better...who am I kidding, I’ve bought at least two of every Masters Keeps in the past, so I’ll probably end up buying another.

IMG_0108.JPG

• I like it 2

On 10/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, lcpfratn said:

After my experience with the PH Rye, I decided to open my two other recent purchases and compare. For me the winner is still the PH. I just love the smokiness that I’m getting from those level 5 charred barrels.

IMG_0108.JPG

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this.  The reviews have all made me shy away from it.  Nice to read something good for a change.

• I like it 1

Thanks for sharing your opinion on this.  The reviews have all made me shy away from it.  Nice to read something good for a change.

Obviously everyone’s palate is different, so I can see how some folks may not like the PH as much. The heavy char barrel influence is definitely present, but not in an astringent, over-oaked kind of way. I think the pricing has probably also influenced some opinions on it, which I can understand...I’m clearly opinionated about the Peerless pricing.

Enjoyed a nice pour of New Riff BIB Rye last night.  A damn solid rye for sure, and I appreciate the NCF.  I look forward to them getting some stock with more age on it.  I need to do a blind SBS with Ritt BIB and another.  While I like it - not sure I like it twice as much (but been a while since sipping Ritt BIB neat).  

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoyed a nice pour of New Riff BIB Rye last night.  A damn solid rye for sure, and I appreciate the NCF.  I look forward to them getting some stock with more age on it.  I need to do a blind SBS with Ritt BIB and another.  While I like it - not sure I like it twice as much (but been a while since sipping Ritt BIB neat).  

I've done a sbs with New Riff and a few other similarly aged and proofed ryes. I'm a pretty big fan of it, including liking it more the Ritt, Pikesville, and KC SiB PS ryes. I believe it's due to the higher rye content in the New Riff than the others. Lately my rye go tos have been New Riff, WT101 rye, and OF rye. I just bought Bone Snapper X Ray rye, a 4yr 110 proof MGP rye. It's really nice as well. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

Getting this weekend going the correct way. A 3 way sbsbs between these 4 yr comparably proofed ryes. I'm not sure I necessarily prefer any over the others, but they're definitely distinctly different. 

20191011_124237.jpg

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I've done a sbs with New Riff and a few other similarly aged and proofed ryes. I'm a pretty big fan of it, including liking it more the Ritt, Pikesville, and KC SiB PS ryes. I believe it's due to the higher rye content in the New Riff than the others. Lately my rye go tos have been New Riff, WT101 rye, and OF rye. I just bought Bone Snapper X Ray rye, a 4yr 110 proof MGP rye. It's really nice as well. 

Thanks for sharing!  That's a great point - age is only one piece; I can see the NCF and mashbill pushing the New Riff over the top.  I hadn't thought about Pikesville - while older its the same price so adding that to my SBS lineup.  

Inspired by @JCwhammie, setup a blind SBSBS with Ritt BIB, Pikesville (brought down to 100 proof), and New Riff BIB.  It was fairly close between the New Riff and Pikesville for me, but I liked the Pikesville a bit more (had a little more depth on the palate, and sweetness).  Ritt was in 3rd place for the nose and palate.  I started with the New Riff and initially thought "This must be Ritt" as struck me as more like a barely-legal rye; when I moved to Pikesville I was confused thinking "Well THIS is more like a barely-legal than the first" - but just had a bit more depth and complexity.  When I got to Ritt - I was super confused as it seemed to me to have more rye spice on the nose (I guessed this was the New Riff).  I did guess the Pikesville, but it felt to me like the New Riff was closer to that than the Ritt.  I was glad to see that I liked the New Riff by a fair margin over the Ritt (while it came in 2nd, it was pretty close). 

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.