What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I’m making it a Rye night. Starting with some 2019 Michters BP Rye. 
C98C1EC7-55CB-446A-9C1D-6E1F36AD40BA.thumb.jpeg.2785395882e67c593ebcb3059e2c4f84.jpeg

This was one of my favorite bottles this year. Blew the M10 rye out of the water and nearly half the price

• I like it 1

I did not purchase this during this visit, but my LS saved me a small sample of the latest WP Boss Hog the WP rep had brought for them to try.  The aroma is pure nostril candy to me, and the very small sip I took burst with flavor and it stayed with me for a long time.

Very glad I have a bottle to look forward to opening soon. 

52228EA2-45ED-4118-852D-F3B118794EAB.jpeg

I recently revisited a Rittenhouse BIB after a rather lengthy time away from it, and wondered what I had been thinking forgetting about it.  Well, that bottle went way too quickly.  Replaced it with a Pikesville, and it is an even more awesome iteration of HH’s Rye Mashbill.  That baking spice hint is more pronounced, along with a black Necco Wafer thing going on.  Great face slapping finish.  Interestingly, there is no significant glass coating or heavy legs on the glass, but the mouthfeel, though dryish, is very full and long lasting.  This is puzzling, and has me wanting to fill up another glass.  :D

24F07D63-9A5A-4B09-8335-29A6EC27CC1A.jpeg

• I like it 5

I picked up a PHC rye. I paid too much. Is this shame I feel? Maybe. But this was the first one that’s been available to me this year, I always buy PHC every year, and I’m a rye guy in general so you know what, screw it you only live once

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I recently revisited a Rittenhouse BIB after a rather lengthy time away from it, and wondered what I had been thinking forgetting about it.  Well, that bottle went way too quickly.  Replaced it with a Pikesville, and it is an even more awesome iteration of HH’s Rye Mashbill.  That baking spice hint is more pronounced, along with a black Necco Wafer thing going on.  Great face slapping finish.  Interestingly, there is no significant glass coating or heavy legs on the glass, but the mouthfeel, though dryish, is very full and long lasting.  This is puzzling, and has me wanting to fill up another glass.  :D

Some questions can’t wait for answers so you must carry on!

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Further research is always a good idea.  For science, of course.

I’ve been chasing this batch of WFE 4y rye since May, when my buddy bought one from the gift shop and I didn’t, erroneously thinking that most WFE batches were reasonably close to each other in consistency, and I didn’t need any more bottles.  Well, my friend opened his and the regret I felt was instantaneous.  This batch stands high above any of the other 4-5 batches that I’ve tried of their 4yr rye.  Floral and leathery, it just hits all the ryeght spots with me.

My other buddy in Texas found it quite by accident for me recently, and luckily he’s nice enough to deal with checking it in his luggage on the plane.

The KY owl ? batch one was a weekend bonus from another friend who didn’t care for his first bottle all that much.

Im camping happy today!

:)

18BF87A1-D3BD-46C0-8E57-DB232973916D.jpeg

• I like it 3

Long fun day of driving the pickup around in less occupied territories. Surprised to find this guy...at MSRP to boot.  

FullSizeRender 16.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’ve been chasing this batch of WFE 4y rye since May, when my buddy bought one from the gift shop and I didn’t, erroneously thinking that most WFE batches were reasonably close to each other in consistency, and I didn’t need any more bottles.  Well, my friend opened his and the regret I felt was instantaneous.  This batch stands high above any of the other 4-5 batches that I’ve tried of their 4yr rye.  Floral and leathery, it just hits all the ryeght spots with me.

My other buddy in Texas found it quite by accident for me recently, and luckily he’s nice enough to deal with checking it in his luggage on the plane.

The KY owl ? batch one was a weekend bonus from another friend who didn’t care for his first bottle all that much.

Im camping happy today!

:)

18BF87A1-D3BD-46C0-8E57-DB232973916D.jpeg

KY Owl batch one is a tasty pour for sure. For as much hype as some of their bourbon releases have had, I’m surprised there wasn’t more attention on rye batch one. Of course they pissed everyone off with jacking up the price while also probably dropping quality on batches 2/3 so the KO rye reputation overall isn’t stellar right now. That said, still thankful I bunkered a bunch of batch one 

• I like it 2

On 11/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, BottledInBond said:

KY Owl batch one is a tasty pour for sure. For as much hype as some of their bourbon releases have had, I’m surprised there wasn’t more attention on rye batch one. Of course they pissed everyone off with jacking up the price while also probably dropping quality on batches 2/3 so the KO rye reputation overall isn’t stellar right now. That said, still thankful I bunkered a bunch of batch one 

Agree with everything you mention.

This is not my only bottle of batch one stashed away ?

As a side note, I wasn’t expecting much from batch 3 and was pleasantly surprised.

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Purchased Sep 9, dead today. This was delicious.

IMG_20191119_220526.jpg

Yeah I really loved this at 59 bucks. Then it just quickly went to 70 bucks everywhere, and even though I know it's good, I just feel like a sucker paying that. So I'll wait and see what happens to the market. 

I have a feeling I'll be back to 9yr old Beam rye at 50 bucks or less.

• I like it 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:27 PM, 0895 said:

Agree with everything you mention.

This is not my only bottle of batch one stashed away ?

As a side note, I wasn’t expecting much from batch 3 and was pleasantly surprised.

Interesting regarding batch 3.....  I just found out about a store in my area that has it (and batch 2) marked down to $130 currently. Clearly they must’ve had some trouble selling it so far to drop it that far. I think I’m still in a try before I buy stance stuff that price

18 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Interesting regarding batch 3.....  I just found out about a store in my area that has it (and batch 2) marked down to $130 currently. Clearly they must’ve had some trouble selling it so far to drop it that far. I think I’m still in a try before I buy stance stuff that price

So I had 3 at a rye tasting and after it was gone, I kept going back to smell the glass.

I couldn’t stop.

I kept going back, and it got to me.

And I bought one ?.

I like it.  Not how I like batch one, but I like it.

I was able to grab a bottle of Knob Creek Rye Twice Barrelled recently. Local store had it on special for ~$18. It's much sweeter than I typically find rye's, but I find it to have a very funky finish that ruins the enjoyment for me. I did finally find that when drinking from my whiskey wedge glass, the finish is muted enough that it doesn't ruin my experience. Typically I enjoy my whiskey neat. I don't think this will be a repeat purchase for me.

Evan

Rittenhouse BiB. I think it’s an incredible value so I keep drinking it. It’s to rye what Elijah Craig Small Batch is to bourbon. 

• I like it 2

Cracked a Russell's 6 year with the old yellow(?) label (I'm color Blind) and man was it tasty, my parents were over for dinner and my mother who is typically a Jameson drinker had a sip that evolved into a pour, guess I know what I'm bringing for Turkey day ;) 

• I like it 6

Sipping Redemption BP rye 8 year batch 1 that I've had open for awhile.

Just recently picked up some of the new BP 10 year rye.  I'm looking forward to comparing these soon.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm passing on Midwinter left and right this year. Nothing below the $100 mark, very disappointing.

I read the first half of your one-line post and was thinking "WHAT?!?!", then I read the second half and said "ah."

Well this is just about perfect today.

Goes very well with the leftover seasoned apples that didn’t fit in the pie pan.

2A410F35-41D7-44B5-8562-8E7DBA4DE202.jpeg

• I like it 6

Money has been a bit tight recently, and I "splurged".  First time having this stuff.  I primarily bought it to mix with ginger ale (I love ginger ale and rye), but it turns out this stuff is pretty decent on it's own.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, cheers!

IMG_20191128_150027.jpg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.