What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened the gift from my friend this Sunday evening. I gotta say this  is completely different from the regular Angels Envy that I do not like. Very very sweet, with the rye flavors peeking around that sweetness. This is a pure desert drink. 

A864A8B7-FEAD-4C06-AC1A-ABCFE07921B9.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:57 PM, Radioyada said:

Opened the gift from my friend this Sunday evening. I gotta say this  is completely different from the regular Angels Envy that I do not like. Very very sweet, with the rye flavors peeking around that sweetness. This is a pure desert drink. 

A864A8B7-FEAD-4C06-AC1A-ABCFE07921B9.jpeg

I’ve had a bottle of this open for close to three years now. I call it my holiday rye. I love the taste of it around Christmas time and Thanksgiving, it has such a gingerbread taste to me that it goes with those two holidays the best.  And even after all that time I think I still have over a third of the bottle left. I’m not saying its bad or really good, its a rye that has time and place to me. 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I’ve had a bottle of this open for close to three years now. I call it my holiday rye. I love the taste of it around Christmas time and Thanksgiving, it has such a gingerbread taste to me that it goes with those two holidays the best.  And even after all that time I think I still have over a third of the bottle left. I’m not saying its bad or really good, its a rye that has time and place to me. 

That is a perfect synopsis of this bottle for me, LC.  I’m in 100% agreement. My approach and appreciation of this whiskey changed significantly from what I expected going in to my first bottle.  I expected to like it much more than I did.  The rum finish is beyond what I like in a rye for the majority of the year, but during the Holiday Season, it really can be a great sipper.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

• 1 month later...

On a quick road trip I had a nice New Riff SBS. The barrel proof rye and the Balboa rye. I like the standard rye and certainly enjoyed the BP version. The Balboa was my favorite and I certainly hope they produce more of that one in the future. More fruit forward in addition to the rye spice, a somewhat unique and delicious pour.

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

On a quick road trip I had a nice New Riff SBS. The barrel proof rye and the Balboa rye. I like the standard rye and certainly enjoyed the BP version. The Balboa was my favorite and I certainly hope they produce more of that one in the future. More fruit forward in addition to the rye spice, a somewhat unique and delicious pour.

Agree with you on this. I picked up 2 bottles of the Balboa Rye when they went on sale through the New Riff Whiskey Club. If this becomes a regular release, I will always have a bottle open. I savored the first bottle and still have the 2nd unopened. As a bonus, I had to pick them up at the distillery. Got to have a few drinks, do the tour, and buy some distillery picks to come home with the Balboa.

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 2:32 PM, BoilerinIL said:

Agree with you on this. I picked up 2 bottles of the Balboa Rye when they went on sale through the New Riff Whiskey Club. If this becomes a regular release, I will always have a bottle open. I savored the first bottle and still have the 2nd unopened. As a bonus, I had to pick them up at the distillery. Got to have a few drinks, do the tour, and buy some distillery picks to come home with the Balboa.

I too have gone through one of my 2 bottles of Balboa.   I think it should be an everyday line extension for New Riff going forward!

• I like it 1

Walked into a WFE 7 years rye as part of a WFE package deal.  The store had two 6 year bourbons and the rye.  I kept seeing them behind the counter.  Six months ago they wanted $250 each.  Three months ago it was $200.  Today was $150.  We settled at $114.99 and a case of OE7 at $40 each.

D61CDB74-5D66-4DF4-BBA2-32962FB9F4A7.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 5

So my weekend ritual during the pandemic has become building LEGO sets and drinking whiskey.

?‍♂️
After finishing my 2014 THH, This is the only thing that’s even close...
2019 Still 630 5yr rye @ 126.1p.

Lego set is 70424 for anyone who cares...

1D23F86C-2066-4E80-AE7F-9EF7DF3D7EC4.jpeg

• I like it 3

Picked up a Balcones Rye on a whim recently. My best advice is just don’t do it.

Just don’t.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Picked up a Balcones Rye on a whim recently. My best advice is just don’t do it.

Just don’t.

I just recently noticed a bunch of their products offered locally to me for the first time.

I'm forewarned away from anything that comes from the small barrels.

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just don’t.

There's the old Bruce we all know! Taking one for the team.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Just don’t.

It's weird for sure.

Doesn't taste like rye to me.  Missing the spice.

But the chocolate note is ok.

Don't think I'd actually buy a bottle, but it was definitely interesting.

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

So my weekend ritual during the pandemic has become building LEGO sets and drinking whiskey.

?‍♂️
After finishing my 2014 THH, This is the only thing that’s even close...
2019 Still 630 5yr rye @ 126.1p.

Lego set is 70424 for anyone who cares...

1D23F86C-2066-4E80-AE7F-9EF7DF3D7EC4.jpeg

That 2019 Still 630 is incredible.  I like the 2020 too, but think I prefer the 2019.

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2020 at 2:13 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Just don’t.

Been curious about this one so thank you!! The chocolate note, always the chocolate, can draw me into a whiskey. On topic, a VERY interesting pour. Several years ago I happened upon a HW RR finished in bourbon casks. I already had a standard RR and liked it so... WTH. I finally opened it. It drinks not like a rye but like I have heard and read wheaters described on countless occasions, soft ,sweet yet layered with a complexity that only age brings to the table ( 16yo barton rye??). A bit of spice peaks through as the finish is getting underway, but not until, the only tipoff that spice is present anywhere in this sip. This is a beautiful pour but certainly not rye like, and I LOVE me some in your face rye!!

I am going to meter out these pours as  there were 2 bottles on the shelf and apparently collecting dust as the clerk very enthusiastically offered me both!! I endeavor to enjoy as many different whiskies as I can so I declined that second bottle ( I would have snatched it in a heartbeat today!!).

So here we are in the rye forum with a most uncharacteristic rye even within the very large sandbox in which one can play when tasting through the various rye in the world, yet it is a standout in its own right. Where Whistlepig 10/10/100 and New Riff are my benchmarks for "rye" and a 10 on the 1-10 rye scale and absolute personal favorites, this is the other end of the spectrum 1-1.5, yet as a stand alone whiskey it is exceptional. Well done High West and Barton as I believe that 16 yr component has a good say in the final outcome here. Barton, if they aren't already, really needs to step up the rye production, make a shit ton of it, age it a good long time and unleash it in quantity on the masses!!

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

It's weird for sure.

Doesn't taste like rye to me.  Missing the spice.

But the chocolate note is ok.

Don't think I'd actually buy a bottle, but it was definitely interesting.

I have one. It's going to be a while before it is gone. Corsair's ryemegeddon has a really similar flavor profile with a bit more malt and spice showing through. Neither of them would I recommend, but I like the fact that people are pushing the rye envelope.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, markandrex said:

Walked into a WFE 7 years rye as part of a WFE package deal.  The store had two 6 year bourbons and the rye.  I kept seeing them behind the counter.  Six months ago they wanted $250 each.  Three months ago it was $200.  Today was $150.  We settled at $114.99 and a case of OE7 at $40 each.

D61CDB74-5D66-4DF4-BBA2-32962FB9F4A7.jpeg

That is a wonderful haul... REally need to find some WFE Bourbons, but alas, MI doesnt see WFE.

On 8/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Been curious about this one so thank you!! The chocolate note, always the chocolate, can draw me into a whiskey. On topic, a VERY interesting pour. Several years ago I happened upon a HW RR finished in bourbon casks. I already had a standard RR and liked it so... WTH. I finally opened it. It drinks not like a rye but like I have heard and read wheaters described on countless occasions, soft ,sweet yet layered with a complexity that only age brings to the table ( 16yo barton rye??). A bit of spice peaks through as the finish is getting underway, but not until, the only tipoff that spice is present anywhere in this sip. This is a beautiful pour but certainly not rye like, and I LOVE me some in your face rye!!

I am going to meter out these pours as  there were 2 bottles on the shelf and apparently collecting dust as the clerk very enthusiastically offered me both!! I endeavor to enjoy as many different whiskies as I can so I declined that second bottle ( I would have snatched it in a heartbeat today!!).

So here we are in the rye forum with a most uncharacteristic rye even within the very large sandbox in which one can play when tasting through the various rye in the world, yet it is a standout in its own right. Where Whistlepig 10/10/100 and New Riff are my benchmarks for "rye" and a 10 on the 1-10 rye scale and absolute personal favorites, this is the other end of the spectrum 1-1.5, yet as a stand alone whiskey it is exceptional. Well done High West and Barton as I believe that 16 yr component has a good say in the final outcome here. Barton, if they aren't already, really needs to step up the rye production, make a shit ton of it, age it a good long time and unleash it in quantity on the masses!!

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure HW is all out of the Barton rye now, and I don’t think they’ve been getting any more. I think all the barrels they’ve acquired for years now have been MGP

Here is the current HWRR info on their website:

912583FE-9C73-484B-8DE0-2E2A7D7E873B.png

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 1

I’m glad you posted what you did BIB. A few years ago, the folks from HW did a tasting at a place in my area. It was in conjunction with a sprit and cigar night that a local place put on weekly, and that Vosgar and I, and our friends from our local bourbon and cigar group always tried to attend. The folks from HW did a great job. They had a number of their offerings available for tasting, and were completely open and honest about everything. It was a great evening. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure HW is all out of the Barton rye now, and I don’t think they’ve been getting any more. I think all the barrels they’ve acquired for years now have been MGP

Here is the current HWRR info on their website:

912583FE-9C73-484B-8DE0-2E2A7D7E873B.png

You are correct they are and have been out of the Barton for quite some time. This bottle has been sitting around deep in the bunker for several years. I don’t have any of the current era HW stuff, mine is all OG. I didn’t mention that this wasn’t current or even recent but it sure is good, that part I did include.

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m glad you posted what you did BIB. A few years ago, the folks from HW did a tasting at a place in my area. It was in conjunction with a sprit and cigar night that a local place put on weekly, and that Vosgar and I, and our friends from our local bourbon and cigar group always tried to attend. The folks from HW did a great job. They had a number of their offerings available for tasting, and were completely open and honest about everything. It was a great evening. 

Biba! Joe

Yes don’t go rushing out in search of HW with a Barton component, it ain’t there anymore!! The door is open for Saz to keep the Barton Rye train going and I hope they are distilling and aging for us all to enjoy in the years to come.

Are any of you that have tried it getting strong opinion on the Rare Breed Rye so far? I saw it for the first time in a local store today and was a little disappointed that it was priced higher than   Rare Breed bourbon, and right in line with RRSiB rye at about $63. How does it compare to the RRSiB rye? I had hoped this was going to be priced a little lower, but I assume I’ll buy one still relatively soon

RR BP Rye is good, it’s a $50 to $60 rye ( in my opinion, in today’s market). It’s better than the RR SiB rye. I would say take a chance and buy one. 

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Are any of you that have tried it getting strong opinion on the Rare Breed Rye so far? I saw it for the first time in a local store today and was a little disappointed that it was priced higher than   Rare Breed bourbon, and right in line with RRSiB rye at about $63. How does it compare to the RRSiB rye? I had hoped this was going to be priced a little lower, but I assume I’ll buy one still relatively soon

I'm on like bottle #3. $56 here. I can't get enough of the Rare Breed Rye. Love it. It's worth the price of admission imo. 

21 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

21 hours ago, LCWoody said:

RR BP Rye is good, it’s a $50 to $60 rye ( in my opinion, in today’s market). It’s better than the RR SiB rye. I would say take a chance and buy one. 

17 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

I'm on like bottle #3. $56 here. I can't get enough of the Rare Breed Rye. Love it. It's worth the price of admission imo. 

Mr. BiB,

I don't know, I have a slightly different opinion. First off I think instead of fretting over the price I would recommend that you go ahead, bite the bullet, and purchase the rare breed at this higher price. No point in denying yourself over roughly ten bucks.

But secondly, I don't find the RB Rye any better than the RR Single Barrel at all. In fact I prefer my bottle of RRSiB Rye by a nose. This might come  down to the single barrel variation thing.

But bottom line:  if you can easily find the RR single barrel rye for close to the same price, I don't think you'll be missing anything if you skip the RB. In fact that's why I think the RB rye ended up at the higher price point than we expected/hoped for. They are so damn similar that if they priced the RB significantly lower than the SiB, they would cannibalize it totally.

I think moving forward we might likely see the SiB Rye focusing more on private store picks and the RB will be the standardized shelf SKU.  I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about this, but it just doesn't make sense for these two SKUs to exist alongside each other at the same price and nearly the same proof and same taste profile. YMMV...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

42 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Mr. BiB,

I don't know, I have a slightly different opinion. First off I think instead of fretting over the price I would recommend that you go ahead, bite the bullet, and purchase the rare breed at this higher price. No point in denying yourself over roughly ten bucks.

But secondly, I don't find the RB Rye any better than the RR Single Barrel at all. In fact I prefer my bottle of RRSiB Rye by a nose. This might come  down to the single barrel variation thing.

But bottom line:  if you can easily find the RR single barrel rye for close to the same price, I don't think you'll be missing anything if you skip the RB. In fact that's why I think the RB rye ended up at the higher price point than we expected/hoped for. They are so damn similar that if they priced the RB significantly lower than the SiB, they would cannibalize it totally.

I think moving forward we might likely see the SiB Rye focusing more on private store picks and the RB will be the standardized shelf SKU.  I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about this, but it just doesn't make sense for these two SKUs to exist alongside each other at the same price and nearly the same proof and same taste profile. YMMV...

It would be awesome if they did start doing barrel picks of RR rye. I don’t recall seeing any of those but maybe they have existed and I just have missed them. RR bourbon barrel picks seem to be a sweet spot these days certainly. 

Yeah I’ll certainly pick up an RB rye eventually. I am a WT rye fan in general. I drink more WT101R than any other rye, by far 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.