What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be in the minority and say the 5-6 year KC Rye picks are better than the 13+ year bourbon picks. I've yet to have any of these extra aged bourbon picks that weren't over oaked, but the Rye.... they've been on point.

I really think it depends, I had a 10 year old that tasted over oaked and 14.5 that didn’t and I found to be great. It really depends.

I think the rye is fine but probably to young. I’d like to try one of the older cask strength ones they put out. Honestly I don’t see myself buying another of the rye picks. I enjoy other stuff like WT101 rye that fit that need.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Honestly I don’t see myself buying another of the rye picks. I enjoy other stuff like WT101 rye that fit that need.

This is also the way I feel. I like the KC picks, but once I broadened what's ryes I was drinking the KC just didnt have the spice I really want in a rye. The KC SiB rye picks are very close in price to the Bone Snapper X Ray 4 year 110 proof MGP rye, which I like better. 

Finally decided to pop this one and see what all the fuss is about. I first have to send a big Thank-you out to KevinB for bird-dogging this one for me, could not find it anywhere at the time. I have since added one more to the bunker. So now the big question is the price justified compared to Rendezvous Rye or OF Rye. I may have to get some of each again to do a blind comparison, cause I gots to know. 

rye.jpg

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, mross said:

Finally decided to pop this one and see what all the fuss is about. I first have to send a big Thank-you out to KevinB for bird-dogging this one for me, could not find it anywhere at the time. I have since added one more to the bunker. So now the big question is the price justified compared to Rendezvous Rye or OF Rye. I may have to get some of each again to do a blind comparison, cause I gots to know. 

rye.jpg

Haha good luck going blind at it. HW Midwinter is as subtle as getting smashed in the head with a port barrel.

• I like it 1

Opened a JD rye today.  I need to do a SBS with this and OF rye.  They have a similar price point  and aren't MGP (not really my thing).   I like the spice on the JD, maybe more than the OF.

• I like it 1

Finishing up tonight with a KC CS Rye (the 2018 batch).  This is right in my wheelhouse - not too much oak, but enough age at 8-9 yrs to strike a nice balance.  

• I like it 1

Did a little SBS the other night, with Hoch 16, and LSB 18.  Both very good, but the LSB is definitely preferable to me, and right in my wheelhouse. Painful to pay $200 for any whiskey, but the LSB definitely delivers as much as it can to try to justify that price.  

The Hoch 16, while very good, doesn’t blow me away, and has a strange finish that has been discussed before.  The LSB 18 has a depth, richness and complexity that is special IMHO.  YMMV of course.

62C04706-6C6A-4B42-A0CA-3D311093A96C.jpeg

• I like it 3

As usual, it was rye Wednesday here at Casa de PG and the bottle of the day was some Baby Saz. My usual pour is 3 oz but there was seemingly just a little bit leftover in the bottle. Mrs PG was checking out the family news on Facebook so I indulged to save the last few drops from over oxidization. Those drops amounted to about 0.75 oz.  I doubt I was the first nor will I be the last to do so. Am I right?

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I indulged to save the last few drops from over oxidization. Those drops amounted to about 0.75 oz.  I doubt I was the first nor will I be the last to do so. Am I right?

You are correctamundo!  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Had the experience of paying to play to try some new big gun ryes.

WT Cornerstone was decent, but I'd never buy another bottle and wish I hadn't bought this one at the price. 

Barrel put out a 13yr cask strength rye that was better than the Cornerstone, but had a bit too much front of mouth bite to be worthy of its $95 price point.

Then I tried the OF Rye, and I quite liked it. I don't know if Americans here know the flavor of Banana Popsicle, but this is like Banana Popsicle with a bit of a vanilla fudgey edge. In short, it is a lot of fun, readily available, decently priced, and was preferred over the other two at multiples of its price.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

I have a bottle of Knob Creek Twice Barreled reserved at one of the local liquor stores.  They had an offering at $16.99 per 750 ml bottle.  So I reserved one.  I just need to find time to pick it up.  

I opened a bottle of Jefferson's Rye Canadian Non-Chill Filtered over the weekend and have been enjoying some pours from it.

47 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have a bottle of Knob Creek Twice Barreled reserved at one of the local liquor stores.  They had an offering at $16.99 per 750 ml bottle.  So I reserved one.  I just need to find time to pick it up.  

I opened a bottle of Jefferson's Rye Canadian Non-Chill Filtered over the weekend and have been enjoying some pours from it.

A KC Rye for $17 a 750?  And you didn't rent a truck and take out a loan?  SHAME!B)

I got up really early this morning for a trail race, and now it is time to sit back and enjoy some good college football with a glass of EC 18. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

I got up really early this morning for a trail race, and now it is time to sit back and enjoy some good college football with a glass of EC 18. 

I want to clarify that the above post should have said WP 18 instead of the bourbon that was mistakenly typed.  Guess I should have been watching what I was entering instead of the TV.

It will not let me edit the post, thus the need for this one.

I’m firing up the grill and enjoying an Alec Bradley Coyol this crisp Georgia afternoon. Thanks to GaryT for not only giving me a sample of Sagamore Rye but also putting it in a handy flask bottle!

IMG_2398.JPG

• I like it 2

Something new for me on this Sunday evening.  The price point has kept me from purchasing this in the past without trying it first, but my LS gave this to me during a purchase a few weeks ago. For a barrel proof it is very easy to drink, and is quite tasty.  I do not think this is anywhere near as good as the 4 year Willet rye I have open, which normally costs much less. 

AAF230DA-E343-45A2-8E1E-BA2E4821099A.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Something new for me on this Sunday evening.  The price point has kept me from purchasing this in the past without trying it first, but my LS gave this to me during a purchase a few weeks ago. For a barrel proof it is very easy to drink, and is quite tasty.  I do not think this is anywhere near as good as the 4 year Willet rye I have open, which normally costs much less. 

AAF230DA-E343-45A2-8E1E-BA2E4821099A.jpeg

If you have access to Wilderness Trail BP SiB Rye, snag one! It's around $64. I like it a bit more than the Willet I have. 

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

If you have access to Wilderness Trail BP SiB Rye, snag one! It's around $64. I like it a bit more than the Willet I have. 

Will keep an eye out for that one to try. 

It was 2° to start the day. Warming my innards with some WT.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.