Tariff effects on international bourbon sales

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Online Washington Post has a story posted last night (6:30pm Eastern on 2 Jan 2019) featuring micro Catoctin Creek (Purcellville, VA) re: the effects of the recent tariffs on sales of American whiskey overseas by micro-distillers.  I did not go looking for how the tariffs are affecting the major distillers.

I loved the WashPost's headline: "Ghosted Us Like a Bad Girlfriend".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/whiskey-sour-us-craft-distillers-say-trade-war-with-europe-is-killing-exports/2019/01/02/4c8a7b64-054f-11e9-b5df-5d3874f1ac36_story.html?utm_term=.57059f11df28

Nothing new here; but a good reminder of how much the "big picture" decisions made in DC can impact the 'boots-on-ground' small producers of any number of goods... and possibly services as well.

Hopefully, the small business folx who need these overseas opportunities to stay afloat in an increasingly competitive US market will manage, and find ways to come through, and even excel when all the foolishness is eventually settled to the satisfaction of the giant egos that bring us these contrived crises.

No offense to Catoctin but Constellation Brands owns part of them so they are not hurting as much as they are letting on here

On 1/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, VAGentleman said:

No offense to Catoctin but Constellation Brands owns part of them so they are not hurting as much as they are letting on here

Thanks for that.  I had forgotten.  I did like the headline, though.  If the article had not had it, I probably wouldn't have posted.  As Rich said, we sort of already knew what the effects were.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.