What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on RR 10 yr, FRSB, EC, and BH today. All were at good prices too. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Need advice from the Turkey heads, Mako and others. I passed on a set of 4 WT picks, two KS and two RR. All different warehouses including one of the first Camp Nelson picks. The idea was that they should go together and apparently all have very different profiles. I passed its $220, RR picks go for $48 to $60 in Houston and KS go for $45 to $55. I don’t see the point of paying a premium to buy four when in reality I would actually hope for a discount.

Passed on a Jefferson's "Very Old and Very Rare" Twin Oak. It is  10-year old bourbon aged for 4 months in a second cask that was toasted then charred. It is 90.4 proof and NCF.  Sounds similar to OF 1910.   It  was $79.99.

Edited by mbroo5880i

56 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Need advice from the Turkey heads, Mako and others. I passed on a set of 4 WT picks, two KS and two RR. All different warehouses including one of the first Camp Nelson picks. The idea was that they should go together and apparently all have very different profiles. I passed its $220, RR picks go for $48 to $60 in Houston and KS go for $45 to $55. I don’t see the point of paying a premium to buy four when in reality I would actually hope for a discount.

Any store putting 4 bottles together like that should (in my opinion) have at least a couple open to try. 

$220 for 4 is $55 a bottle which is abt what

my market is. (I’ll save my ‘campari has wtks overpriced and the new bottle change sure as hell ain’t gonna do it any favors’ rant for another day). Can you buy individually or is it all 4 or no dice? I’d walk unless I had some concrete info on the actual juice. 

PS, what are the warehouses?

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

You have to buy all four and no samples. Can’t really get any information on them.

One warehouse B, I think a K, the Camp Nelson and I’m not sure about the last.

I think I’ll go through a few bunkered bottles. If by some chance it’s still around in a few months I’ll take it.

^^^I've never really had a bad bottle of either, although I do admit that I'm not a bit fan of the KS (due to the lack of proof for the price, which I thinks makes it a QPR bust when compared to RB).  However, in this case, I don't think it's too out of line given the fact that it's a PS 'package' with the caveat of knowing that the profiles are a bit different from one another. 

I'd probably have folded and given it a go...

Agree with you Paddy and Mako, KS does seem overpriced. It does have a different profile and I think most unique of the any other Turkey expressions. It makes an interesting change when I want a gentler more floral Turkey. Plus I’m 3-4 deep on RR picks but no KS.

Heck I just need another place to hide my bottles. I think Rich needs a sticky thread on hiding your bottles.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I passed its $220, RR picks go for $48 to $60 in Houston and KS go for $45 to $55. I don’t see the point of paying a premium to buy four when in reality I would actually hope for a discount.

I agree with your thinking and I would have passed too. That store must think they have something special and charging a premium.  Funny how things have flipped over from just a couple of years ago, when stores were actually selling PS barrel picks at a slight discount because they bought the whole barrel at a discount, and passed the savings on to the customer with the intentions of selling more product overall.

• I like it 2

I see the forced bundling to be little different from the “you can buy a OWA but only if you buy one of our store pick whatever too” kind of thing. I balk at being forced to buy anything. No matter how good it may be. It’s my damn money and screw you for trying to force it out of me. Only my wife and the IRS get to do that.

• I like it 7

Passed on a Cream of Kentucky for $200. Another store had Kentucky Owl for $300. 

25 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on a Cream of Kentucky for $200. Another store had Kentucky Owl for $300. 

...and for that reason,  im out 

Not a bourbon, but today I passed on a Whistlepig Boss Hog Rye @ $416.99. 

Biba! 

4 hours ago, tsangster said:

Stagg Jr. at $190 and Blanton's at $250 if I recall correctly.

Wow...just....wow.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:19 AM, HoustonNit said:

Heck I just need another place to hide my bottles. I think Rich needs a sticky thread on hiding your bottles.

Sounds like a great idea for a topic starter. My wife knows my spots so I'm always looking for new ideas.

I think it’s Rich that has all the good tips for hiding spots. He has a chair where he hides them, think leaf in a table, also somehow behind a door? I’d love to see these.

• I like it 1

Passed on some BT at Sams today. Good price, I just have a lot of store picks right now. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to stock up though. 

BC4C49FA-F293-45F5-924A-2DC459219A3B.thumb.jpeg.cf4988a49eab9d446f2a3227891d6b45.jpeg

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Passed on some BT at Sams today. Good price, I just have a lot of store picks right now. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to stock up though. 

Dayumm Woody! And here I thought $21.99 for BT was a good price. I didn’t need any more either, but I still bought a couple. One can never have too much BT^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

I think it’s Rich that has all the good tips for hiding spots. He has a chair where he hides them, think leaf in a table, also somehow behind a door? I’d love to see these.

That would be Harry, not Rich!
  • I like it 1

12 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Peerless Rye 200mL $25

I know it is a trap, but they sure know how to make this look like an attractive package.

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

I know it is a trap, but they sure know how to make this look like an attractive package.

But youre not quite a quarter of the sucker you could have been at 750mL. But yea the packaging looked good.  If I ever want to try the stuff, this is the route ill go..  or at an establishment.

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.