What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

My regular place had 3 bottles at $100 per, then got another 3 in and for some reason decided to raise price to $140. McKenna BiB, which was $32 is now $100. Weller 107 is now $80. I'm basically not shopping this store anymore simply on principle. 

Lol, I don’t even know what the price is.. haven’t asked.. all that’s ever on the shelf is a poorly hand written “out of stock” cardboard sign.. Since I’m in AL I know it’ll be high..

7 hours ago, hollywood said:

Lol, I don’t even know what the price is.. haven’t asked.. all that’s ever on the shelf is a poorly hand written “out of stock” cardboard sign.. Since I’m in AL I know it’ll be high..

Guess I'll be buying all our officials' "de-briefing" refreshments in Atlanta before heading over to Auburn next February for the 2020 SEC Swimming Championships - gonna' need a SUV, I reckon . . . . . .  ?

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Guess I'll be buying all our officials' "de-briefing" refreshments in Atlanta before heading over to Auburn next February for the 2020 SEC Swimming Championships - gonna' need a SUV, I reckon . . . . . .  ?

Another thought, UHaul rents box vans my friend! :) 

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

“Atta boy Luther!” :D

Biba! Joe 

It was an easy pass for me on Old Weller Antique and its new $50 price tag. Luckily, I have a couple bottles in reserve, but at $50 I won't be adding any to them. This was a great $30 bourbon, but not close to being worth $50 IMHO.

• I like it 5

49 minutes ago, BDanner said:

It was an easy pass for me on Old Weller Antique and its new $50 price tag. Luckily, I have a couple bottles in reserve, but at $50 I won't be adding any to them. This was a great $30 bourbon, but not close to being worth $50 IMHO.

If I have to overpay, I’ll overpay for many other bottles. Im sure BT will have no problem  finding buyers though. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

This. I was offered some at their new retail price of $60, but just cant pull the trigger (maybe if it was a SB pic). Fortunately I have plenty bunkered.

• I like it 1

OWA has been well above $50 here locally for years...usually in the $100-$150 range...which was also a pass.  Even if by some miracle someone locally offers it at the new retail of $50 to $60 I would pass.  I assume that is just going to give them incentive to go even higher.

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

This. I was offered some at their new retail price of $60, but just cant pull the trigger (maybe if it was a SB pic). Fortunately I have plenty bunkered.

Same, turned it down at $50.  I had quite a bit bunkered, but thinned it all out just before the price increase was announced.  Was able to snag 4 final bottles at $19.99 and have a handful of store picks that I will slowly work my way through.  Such a shame as this was my go-to party/gift bourbon and now I have to ration it as I am not a buyer at the new price.  

• I like it 1

I’d probably still buy it, but I’ve only seen it twice in a year and never at the new price. I have two store picks behind the bar left over. 

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Same, turned it down at $50.  I had quite a bit bunkered, but thinned it all out just before the price increase was announced.  Was able to snag 4 final bottles at $19.99 and have a handful of store picks that I will slowly work my way through.  Such a shame as this was my go-to party/gift bourbon and now I have to ration it as I am not a buyer at the new price.  

I feel like I'd crack if I saw it at $50.  I know I'm overpaying but I NEVER see it.

• I like it 1

Yeah I'd probably cave at $50 if I saw it here. WSR is semi available in that range, haven't seen this or W12 around in a while.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, kevinbrink said:

If it's Indiana sourced that is probably the going rate though I would say it's not worth it unless it was a Very Old Scout which I would guess it is not. If it's a TN sourced bottle it's just price gouging.

So the wife found a bottle for $34 in Myrtle Beach, SC and it says it's sourced from both Indiana and Tennessee, so are some sourced solely from either state? 

Edited by pyro273
bad grammar

45 minutes ago, pyro273 said:

So the wife found a bottle for $34 in Myrtle Beach, SC and it says it's sourced from both Indiana and Tennessee, so are some sourced solely from either state? 

That is the Old Scout American Whiskey not Bourbon

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Sigh...reading is fundamental.....so embarrassing.....

Darn, one of my main stores raised prices on all BT products. BT $39.99. ER $44.99 and CEHT small batch $59.99. I can’t believe the market is so crazy that anybody pays these kind of BS prices. If this keeps up you will see me in the Scotch section. 
You live in Central Florida? Those are low end prices around here...

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

And it’s really bad IMHO

• I like it 1

The Weller prices I see reported in this thread are downright outrageous.  Really rather disgusting when you think about it. 

On the other hand, it's economic theory 101 in action.  Folks, please spend your money on something else - that's the only way to really do something about it.  There are some really superb whiskeys out there at fair prices that are trying to earn your business.  Reward them....

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

The Weller prices I see reported in this thread are downright outrageous.  Really rather disgusting when you think about it. 

On the other hand, it's economic theory 101 in action.  Folks, please spend your money on something else - that's the only way to really do something about it.  There are some really superb whiskeys out there at fair prices that are trying to earn your business.  Reward them....

This and the idea that if you happen to stumble across something good that you have to clear the shelf, take a picture of your haul, post it on the internet and sit back and watch thousands of other drinkers across the country go bonkers as they fan out looking for the same and getting squat. Share the wealth unless you want to see a world where people are waiting for the truck to drop off JB. :) 

• I like it 3

Central OK:

ER $78.99

BT $43.99

EHT SmB $69.99

Weller 107 $64.99

Guess BT shipment came in as these have been MIA recently. I'm pretty much discontinuing shopping at that particular liquor store, though. They had Blantons for $140 recently, smh. I asked if they sold many at that price and she told me "not yet" but when I was back a week later they had all sold. 

Maybe OWA is not the value it was at $20-30 but I guess I’m still a buyer at $50. I’ve passed on it at $40 and $50 over the past few years because it was obscenely marked up. Once I work my way through the bottles I’ve accumulated I’ll still want one. At that point, the price will be market and I’ll still want it. There are other wheaters, but nothing else tastes like OWA unless the label says van winkle. Whenever I pour from my $50 bottle of OWA in the year 2027 or whenever, I’ll still smile as I enjoy it and think back on the days when I picked up a bottle for $25 as a part of running errands. 

Too many WT variations to choose from

amd too much $$ for my taste buds to even be able to understand.... I’m starting to regret picking up the IWH from a week ago. I probably won’t crack it open for a while

344C31CE-67B8-4ECA-86D5-E01E961AEBF8.jpeg

6E425B9D-BF1C-4675-81F0-1253E0A9DDD0.jpeg

11 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Maybe OWA is not the value it was at $20-30 but I guess I’m still a buyer at $50. I’ve passed on it at $40 and $50 over the past few years because it was obscenely marked up. Once I work my way through the bottles I’ve accumulated I’ll still want one. At that point, the price will be market and I’ll still want it. There are other wheaters, but nothing else tastes like OWA unless the label says van winkle. Whenever I pour from my $50 bottle of OWA in the year 2027 or whenever, I’ll still smile as I enjoy it and think back on the days when I picked up a bottle for $25 as a part of running errands. 

I like OWA, have a few older & newer bottles open & bunkered. 

Having said that, it is not a $50 bottle, no way, no how. Low age, hot whiskey.

I drink it, when the mood strikes. I realize everyone had their own taste buds, but I really believe if OWA had a non-Weller name, it would be just another low shelf bottle. 

For $50, it has to get to 8yrs old for me to even consider a purchase. 

Cheers. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Too many WT variations to choose from

amd too much $$ for my taste buds to even be able to understand.... I’m starting to regret picking up the IWH from a week ago. I probably won’t crack it open for a while

344C31CE-67B8-4ECA-86D5-E01E961AEBF8.jpeg

6E425B9D-BF1C-4675-81F0-1253E0A9DDD0.jpeg

The WT101 is a good price &  RR10 is a decent price. The WTRB is also a decent (not great) price. 

Any one of those bottles, will be a good representative from the House of Turkey. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Yesterday I passed on a George T Stagg for $799, Rock HIll Farms for $150, and a Weller SR for $199.  I don't know how this guy sells anything at these prices.  He is a strait up thief!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.