What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought long and hard about it since I am a huge fan of GD, but passed on a bottle of Uncle Nearest at $65. I also passed on a bottle of Old Ezra Barrel Strength at $45 (I have one open and one unopened bottle). That one I may regret.

I also could've picked up the latest version of the Blood Oath, but with it being over $100 it wasn't really hard to pass on.

Edited by BDanner

One of my usual stops for Rum had ER. I went to grab it too until I realized it was being offered at the discount price of $99.99.

I wonder if it will be there next week? Doubtful.

49 minutes ago, jwperry said:

One of my usual stops for Rum had ER. I went to grab it too until I realized it was being offered at the discount price of $99.99.

Reminds me of a US General’s response to the overconfident German General outside of Bastogne in WWII who demanded their surrender. “NUTS!”

The liquor department at a Hy-Vee grocery store had Peerless Rye marked down to $79.99 (a savings of $39.01!). Still too damn much money for a 24 month old whiskey

• I like it 5

Left this one in the case yesterday. 

WHH: 12y age stated 134p, $250+tax. 

ECBP is usually $60-70 +tax when I buy it, Also 12y age stated, and around 130+/- proof. 

I get that the WHH is possibly  batched from better “honey” barrels, and youre paying a premium for the label, but this just doesn’t work out in my head. 

The 14 & 16y bottles from the last two releases at least had an age premium over ECBP

1A1D73B6-F9AD-4BF2-B341-FEA1534FC514.jpeg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, jwperry said:

Just bought two bottles of ER yesterday for $25.99 ea. 

• I like it 1

ECBP is usually $60-70 +tax when I buy it, Also 12y age stated, and around 130+/- proof. 
I get that the WHH is possibly  batched from better “honey” barrels, and youre paying a premium for the label, but this just doesn’t work out in my head. 
The 14 & 16y bottles from the last two releases at least had an age premium over ECBP
1A1D73B6-F9AD-4BF2-B341-FEA1534FC514.thumb.jpeg.127c4777ca390da7070feffd1a322160.jpeg

The 2017 PHC was 11 year bourbon and I thought way better than ECBP. I still think 12 WHH is $100-$150 to high.

1A1D73B6-F9AD-4BF2-B341-FEA1534FC514.thumb.jpeg.127c4777ca390da7070feffd1a322160.jpeg

I agree with you 100%! I’ve got bottles of the 14yr and 16yr WHH, and they are fantastic pours. I could rationalize the pricing for both of those...Ok, I’m still trying to rationalize their prices, but I can’t even get close to rationalizing the price on this 12yr for the same reasons that you stated.

The 2017 PHC was 11 year bourbon and I thought way better than ECBP. I still think 12 WHH is $100-$150 to high.

Yeah, but the 2017 PHC wasn’t anywhere close to the price of this 12yr WHH. Like you said...the 12yr WHH is overpriced by at least $100. Of course, they will still likely sell it all at the $249 price point.

37 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I agree with you 100%! I’ve got bottles of the 14yr and 16yr WHH, and they are fantastic pours. I could rationalize the pricing for both of those...Ok, I’m still trying to rationalize their prices,

I still haven’t been able to rationalize those either, so I’m basically going with they are really tasty, and I work long hard hours and wanted them. 

:)

At least they carried a slight age premium. 

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Just bought two bottles of ER yesterday for $25.99 ea. 
I hate you, lol.

Best price around here is $35.99 and it won't last a day. Normally it's seen for around $59.99

I like it, a lot, and I'm willing to like it for $40ish, but there's a lot of other bourbons to try at that price point, so I'm definitely not bunkering or buying secondary market to scratch the ER itch.

Booker’s behind glass for $179.99 in NYC, plus a bonus $399.99 Michter’s 10. Crazy times. 

• I like it 1

Booker’s behind glass for $179.99 in NYC, plus a bonus $399.99 Michter’s 10. Crazy times. 

Wow! That’s all I can see is just Wow!!!

I hate you, lol.

Best price around here is $35.99 and it won't last a day. Normally it's seen for around $59.99

I like it, a lot, and I'm willing to like it for $40ish, but there's a lot of other bourbons to try at that price point, so I'm definitely not bunkering or buying secondary market to scratch the ER itch.

It’s readily available in my area for around $30...which I’ll admit is a fantastic value. Hopefully we continue to see it in that price range, but I’ve got a lot of private selection ER bottles bunkered, so it won’t affect me if the price does rise a bit.
  • I like it 1

It’s readily available in my area for around $30...which I’ll admit is a fantastic value. Hopefully we continue to see it in that price range, but I’ve got a lot of private selection ER bottles bunkered, so it won’t affect me if the price does rise a bit.
I feel like I need to take a road trip this summer.

Killing time after dinner yesterday I decided to stop into a LS in the neighborhood I rarely visit because everything is overpriced. I saw a GTS behind the counter, so I asked the price. Fully expecting the 500-700 range. Nope...he talked it up that it was the 2014 release and then gave me the price of $1300. UNBELIEVABLE. I couldn’t help but laugh. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, JSpartan said:

Killing time after dinner yesterday I decided to stop into a LS in the neighborhood I rarely visit because everything is overpriced. I saw a GTS behind the counter, so I asked the price. Fully expecting the 500-700 range. Nope...he talked it up that it was the 2014 release and then gave me the price of $1300. UNBELIEVABLE. I couldn’t help but laugh. 

Well either he's kept around a 2014 release for 4 and a half years and doesn't really want to sell it or he's buying at secondary and trying to make a healthy markup over that.

• I like it 1

Peerless batch 1. $79.99 reg $129.99

That’s getting close to a price point that I might be interested enough to try it, but not quite there yet!

I found the largest stash of Stagg Jr. I've ever seen in Dallas yesterday; probably 15-20. I would have bought them all in a heartbeat near retail. Unfortunately they wanted almost double retail at $110. They also had a ECBP for a steal at $150.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, afinchmustang said:

I found the largest stash of Stagg Jr. I've ever seen in Dallas yesterday; probably 15-20. I would have bought them all in a heartbeat near retail. Unfortunately they wanted almost double retail at $110. They also had a ECBP for a steal at $150.

I'm guessing that large price is partially because of that large price, unfortunately. 

I was offered a family size Weller 12 by third party through a friend yesterday. $500. I was speechless. 

14 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

I'm guessing that large price is partially because of that large price, unfortunately. 

I was offered a family size Weller 12 by third party through a friend yesterday. $500. I was speechless. 

You know things are crazy when people are exceeding inflated secondary prices. It's going to be a rough few years, but hopefully we will get back to supply actually meeting demand. Until then it's raiding honey holes or just straight up luck at the big box stores 

Edited by afinchmustang
  • I like it 1

Eagle Rare 59.99

Old Fitz 13 299.99

Weller SR 79.99

Blantons 99.99

but for some reason Russell Reserve 10yr is $34.99

I passed on 1 liter bottles of David Nicholson 1843 for $26. Are these Dusty’s?  I’ve never seen this bottle before. I’m familiar with the redesigned current bottle and before that it was the fake BIB bottle. Where does the 1 liter bottle come in at. Surely, it’s not old enough to be SW juice. There was almost zero info on the bottle but it did have Luxco.com on the back label.  No age statement of any kind on the bottle. 

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I passed on 1 liter bottles of David Nicholson 1843 for $26. Are these Dusty’s?  I’ve never seen this bottle before. I’m familiar with the redesigned current bottle and before that it was the fake BIB bottle. Where does the 1 liter bottle come in at. Surely, it’s not old enough to be SW juice. There was almost zero info on the bottle but it did have Luxco.com on the back label.  No age statement of any kind on the bottle. 

It sounds like the current release.  I might try one at $26 a liter.  No age statement means 4 years old, probably sourced from HH.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.