What bourbon did you pass on winter/spring 2019?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw the small batch for $53.  I like a sweeter bourbon, and since this is a low rye I thought I'd enjoy it.  

Almost grabbed a Weller for the stash, already have a RC that I’ve yet to open and didn’t care for the pot still. Went with 1792 sb 

5BAA2F24-33E3-4460-BEEA-4746700CEBD1.jpeg

Almost grabbed a Weller for the stash, already have a RC that I’ve yet to open and didn’t care for the pot still. Went with 1792 sb 
5BAA2F24-33E3-4460-BEEA-4746700CEBD1.thumb.jpeg.722f0469715fd24c5d7cb6e24db42a5c.jpeg

3 >> 4 >>>> 1 > 2 > 3

32 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

5BAA2F24-33E3-4460-BEEA-4746700CEBD1.jpeg

That's a nice price for 1.75 BT

• I like it 2

Passed on an Eagle Rare for $70, a GTS for $500, and a FRSmBLE for . . . ya know, I don't even recall ($2xx or $3xx - but more than I was paying regardless).

• I like it 2

Passed on a new bottle of the Tennessee distilled Smooth Ambler Old Scout SiB. A 13 y/o offering priced at $101... Ouch! No thanks! Loved the old Indiana produced juice, and this new stuff may be pretty good but not for me at twice the price!

Instead I went home with a Remus Repeal Reserve II at $85 and an Old Forester Rye at $24

While not cheap, I’m a fan of the Remus - a good solid MGP bottle

Still some the 9yoas out there.
20190605_125214-784x1613.thumb.jpg.a27c6425d8d63b0ef17377ec9d00abc8.jpg
Did you buy them all at that price?

Tempted, but no thanks.  Never seen anything like this on their web site before,  They had some other 2009 BTAC for $1000 but it had already sold.  They buy cellars from collectors and that's probably the source of this...

GTS KL.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, fosmith said:

Tempted, but no thanks.  Never seen anything like this on their web site before,  They had some other 2009 BTAC for $1000 but it had already sold.  They buy cellars from collectors and that's probably the source of this...

GTS KL.jpg

It might be a fake.  I don't see a label.

• I like it 2

I passed on HMcK10 for $41.98.  They had one and a limit of one.  I had no interest at that price. 

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

It might be a fake.  I don't see a label.

Haha!  Good one!  K&L is a very reputable store and they vet their products...

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fosmith said:

Haha!  Good one!  K&L is a very reputable store and they vet their products...

Yeah, I know.  You would just think they could have come up with a better stock photo.

Shopping day today. Believe it or not I passed on everything. :huh:  Most notably Larceny @ $19.99.

Biba! Joe

I ran across a New Riff Single Barrel the other day.  It was not a store select.  It appeared to be a standard offering.  The proof was around 114.   Although, it is a little young, I do enjoy the standard New Riff @ 100 proof.  Of course, I can get it for $29.99.   Obviously, everyone's tastes and values are different, I just wonder if the step up to a non-store select single barrel is worth an extra $20.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in FL, and at my first stop this week I found ECBP on the shelf for $64.99.  Four days later, and I still can’t believe I passed.  

Ive also been offered (behind the counter) WSR and Willett PS, and passed on them as well.

Although bourbon Zen can be fleeting..................

Redemption Wheated MGP at least 4 years old.  Didnt have a price.  I thought it would be great to sample but it wasnt that kind if store. 

Whats the word on this?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I’m in FL, and at my first stop this week I found ECBP on the shelf for $64.99.  Four days later, and I still can’t believe I passed.  

Ive also been offered (behind the counter) WSR and Willett PS, and passed on them as well.

Been in fla a week as well. I also found a shelf full of ECBP for $65.99, EHT Rye for $69 or $79, a whole bunch of OF1920 for $59.99. Saw an EHT SmB today for $79 but right down the street found it for $42.99 (but still didn't purchase). Saw a shelf tag for RHF for $46.99 and ER10 for $32.99 but they said they never get them. Only Weller I've seen is a lone WSR for $65. There was also Willett PS for $99 (!?!?!). They were both behind the counter but in the open. I have a WT101 to drink and an OEBP to take home.

Edited by Clueby

Passed up all of these overpriced “clearance” whiskey and ended up with a  vob 80 for $15 instead. 

9B48E5BF-DC5C-408D-8658-1C932E3A2EC4.jpeg

E319CDB0-CCE7-4B2C-B27B-F53AAE236BCF.jpeg

B756BCAD-BDB0-4764-9B22-D4620772CA10.jpeg

On 6/6/2019 at 6:27 AM, fosmith said:

GTS KL.jpg

@fosmith, I was just at Cask Spirits in Berkeley on College Ave. a couple weeks ago, and saw the GTS for $800. Couldn't believe it. I remember around 2007 or 2008 or so when I could buy it for $70 or $80. Deciding whether or not to spring for it way back then seemed like a dilemma. Wow how times have changed! LOL

1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

Passed up all of these overpriced “clearance” whiskey and ended up with a  vob 80 for $15 instead. 

9B48E5BF-DC5C-408D-8658-1C932E3A2EC4.jpeg

E319CDB0-CCE7-4B2C-B27B-F53AAE236BCF.jpeg

B756BCAD-BDB0-4764-9B22-D4620772CA10.jpeg

Binny's often has some treats on their end of bin shelves. I would have been tempted by some of the armagnac and calvados there.

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, fanostra said:

Binny's often has some treats on their end of bin shelves. I would have been tempted by some of the armagnac and calvados there.

This is true, that’s why I always check them out. Found a Kentucky vintage for about 20 bucks recently 

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

I just saw ECBP today for $65, one bottle left.  Is this a good price?  Should I not have passed on this?  

Edited by PhantomLamb

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@fosmith, I was just at Cask Spirits in Berkeley on College Ave. a couple weeks ago, and saw the GTS for $800. Couldn't believe it. I remember around 2007 or 2008 or so when I could buy it for $70 or $80. Deciding whether or not to spring for it way back then seemed like a dilemma. Wow how times have changed! LOL

I've seen GTS in a LS for $900.  At least the one at K&L was a semi dusty (2009 hazmat release) so some extra value there.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.