How much would you pay?

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been looking through the search button, and with the exception of a random comment here or there I can't really find an answer to my question. This Saturday I have the opportunity to buy a GTS at $200, Lot B for $225, and a Pappy 15 (The manager has to ask the owner of the price he wasn't sure). My questions is for those that bought BTAC or Pappy this year what did you pay if you don't mind sharing. If you didn't buy any what is each one worth in your opinion or the most you would pay if given the opportunity. I have been to their website, and know what the retail is supposed to be, but based on supply and demand those prices seem like simply a dream. Trying to decide if I want to shell out that much cash for 1 bottle of booze. Share your thoughts.

I can't imagine going over $200 for BTAC but at this point I might pay that for a WLW since I've never owned a bottle, the rest would need to be under $150 at this point for me I think. For the Van Winkles for my tastes I wouldn't go very far over retail though a bottle of 15 would be the most tempting to me, but if I came across one at a higher price I might pick it up for a friend if they wanted with a finders fee of a pour or two.

I wouldn't say to pay over MSRP.  I know from reading posts here that some folks still pick these items up for retail prices.  If you have been a regular customer of the store, they should treat you right.

You can find a bar that stocks these items.  Have a pour or two.  Then you can make an informed decision.

Just me; but, I wouldn't pay $200 for any Lot B I've ever tasted!    The GTS. if you've never owned one, might be closer to a buy; but my wallet would NOT unfold at that rate.

Any Pappy is already over-priced at retail, for my taste buddies, so I'd pass on all those, especially at a big mark-up.

As to the BTAC alternatives, I'd maybe go up to $170 for any of the barrel proof ones, if you've never had the experiences.

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 2

43 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Any Pappy is already over-priced at retail, for my taste buddies, so I'd pass on all those, especially at a big mark-up.

100% Playing Devil’s Advocate here. That’s a bold statement. Would you really pass on the 15 year at $120? Totally agree it’s overhyped, but to me the MSRP (which is actually still $99.99) on all the BT stuff is more than reasonable.

Agree on Lot B. It’s basically a “honey batch” of W12.  Can it and bring back a 12 year Weller Centennial and make it a Single Barrel as part of the PVW release. That would be exciting. 

To the OP it’s a tough call. If the prices give you pause it’s probably for a good reason. The Binnys prices for those bottles were $120 on Stagg and Pappy 15and $80 on Lot B.  I think I’d buy Stagg up to $150, Lot B up to $120ish and PVW up to $250. 

Assuming the Pappy is much higher than $250 from your options if I were to reach for any of them it would be Stagg @ $200.  But saying its the best option does not necessarily mean its a good deal. That sort of depends on your personal bottle price threshold 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

I would probably but both the Stagg and the Lot B.  Now I've never had the Lot B so that would be scratching an itch of mine.  The Stagg I really like and would be comfortable paying in the $200-$250 range.  The only BTAC I've had the opportunity to buy has been a 2017 GTS and a 2018 WLW from VA ABC so I've been fortunate to only pay retail.  The only other stores I've seen them in have been for secondary or above and I'm not comfortable paying that much for any of them.

All that being said I don't know your finances.  You have to decide how much money you are comfortable spending on a luxury good.  

Depending on where you are, I’d rate a GTS at $200 a buy. 

Theyre findable at retail but they’re also findable at $500+. I’d pay $200 for one.

I have only paid retail for all of my BTAC purchases. With that said, I've been extremely lucky and know others have never seen any, let alone have a shot a owning a bottle. If I was in your shoes, I would "splurge" on the GTS at $200 and walk from the Van Winkles at those price points. The BTAC bottles are more important to me these days than the VW's, thus I would pay a little more than I should to land one. But that is just me.

I’d pay up to $200 for GTS and WLW. I’ve bought most of mine at retail, but I’ve also paid up to $200 for a couple of bottles. I’d probably be willing to pay a bit more than that for ER17 because it is so rare...and the couple of pours that I’ve had of ER17 (thanks FacePlant) have been fantastic.

I’d pass on Lot B at the price indicated by the OP, but I might be willing to pay up to $150 if I couldn’t find it at retail, but fortunately I’ve been able to.

I passed on PVW15 this year for $399 because I’ve already got a couple of bottles (I paid retail for one and somewhere between $249 and $299 for the other). If I didn’t have those, I might have considered paying the $399 asking price, but that’s pushing it for me since I’ve never paid that much for any bottle of whiskey.

• I like it 1

200 has been my limit for BTAC, but at that price I'd only buy GTS and WLW. Starting this year I might add ER17 since they've made it barrel strength now. Anyone who wanted to sell me one of these at this price or less would get the sale.

Saz18 and THH are great tasting products that I would buy at retail but I wouldn't pay more than 100. 

Lot B or Old Rip I'd not pay more than 100 for - which means I ain't gettin' any.

As for PVW - I wouldn't buy the 20 or 23 anyway because I don't like my wheaters under 100 proof. The 15 I'd pay 200 for - see "which means I ain't gettin' any", above.

In practice, I stuck by these guidelines this year, because I didn't get a single one of any of these.

The sun still rose, and there was plenty of good things around to drink anyway.

• I like it 2

$129.99 OTD for 2018 WLW, GTS and THH.  PVWs were a 1 time buy this year 'cause I had the opportunity (and the finances) to do so - PVW23 for $399.99, PVW20 for $229.99 and PVW15 for $199.99.  Passed on the ORVW10 at $99.99, Lot B at 119.99 and missed the VWFRR13 at $179.99.

Having had such a great year, I'm done chasing Unicorns - I didn't get the "warm and fuzzy feelings in my loins" that I thought I would.  So I gave my extra 2018 GTS to a bourbon-drinking friend who loves great whiskey but probably could never afford one as a Christmas present.   And I gifted my PVW23 to another deserving friend to give to his son for Christmas as part of his legacy to his family.  Now THAT gave me the "warm and fuzzy feelings in my loins" that I was hoping for when I bought them.   ☺️

Finally, some small measure of Bourbon Zen, perchance???

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 18

9 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Would you really pass on the 15 year at $120?

I would.    In fact I kinda/nearly did.    When offered the option, I chose a Stagg at $125 over a Pappy 15, or a P-20 (no WLW nor Pappy 23 was available, and the P-20 was probably more $... I didn't ask).   

The 15-year would be my only/first pick at $100, if all the Pappy's were offered to me for that price (of course that would NEVER happen!); but, having had all the iterations, my taste buddies just didn't find any of the Pappys that special.  Now, you hafta remember my palate is notoriously undiscriminating for the subtleties that may lie hidden therein.    However, I really do enjoy the bold flavors that I do find in some other brands (private picks of 1792 FP, private picks of RR, JD BP and others); but not in Pappy products.    Plus, I suppose I'm less of a wheater fan in general than some others.

Edited by Richnimrod
  • I like it 1

Wife and I spent Christmas week in Savannah, Georgia.  There is a very small liquor store on River Street which had bottles of PVW 23 and PVW 15 for sale and on the shelf.  Asking price was a mere $3500 for the 23 and $2500 for the 15.  Clerk seemed annoyed that I had even asked her what they were asking for them.  Needless to say I left them there.  My days of overpaying for bottles are long past.

• I like it 1

I get the sense that for many liquor stores, these key bottles are an alpha male validation of their status as a retailer and represent far more value extravagantly priced in a showcase than in the Glencairns of good customers. It's more effective to dramatically display your missiles on parade than to actually launch them.

• I like it 5

I just paid $249 + tax for the 2018 GTS and feel lucky to have gotten it.  I've never seen it available (except in a lottery which I didn't win) for under $499. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

$129.99 OTD for 2018 WLW, GTS and THH.  PVWs were a 1 time buy this year 'cause I had the opportunity (and the finances) to do so - PVW23 for $399.99, PVW20 for $229.99 and PVW15 for $199.99.  Passed on the ORVW10 at $99.99, Lot B at 119.99 and missed the VWFRR13 at $179.99.

Having had such a great year, I'm done chasing Unicorns - I didn't get the "warm and fuzzy feelings in my loins" that I thought I would.  So I gave my extra 2018 GTS to a bourbon-drinking friend who loves great whiskey but probably could never afford one as a Christmas present.   And I gifted my PVW23 to another deserving friend to give to his son for Christmas as part of his legacy to his family.  Now THAT gave me the "warm and fuzzy feelings in my loins" that I was hoping for when I bought them.   ☺️

Love this!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Well done Gee!

• I like it 1

FWIW. I purchased a GTS for $101.99 last fall and later the same day I found a lot b at $149.99 and another stagg at $200. I got the lot b and have been wishing I got the stagg instead ever since. 

• I like it 2

I got my first bottle of BTAC this year, GTS for $115.99.  Only thing I would have taken over that would have been the WLW.  If you're only going to purchase one bottle, for me, it would be the Stagg.  But at $200 . . . uh, don't know whether I could pull the trigger on anything at that price.

• I like it 1

I paid $110 for Stagg this year and $80 for Lot B. I did not get any PVW15 this year. 

I’d pay $200 for Stagg. It’s almost always at least very good, and often borderlines on amazing, at least to me. I know there are plenty of people here who stick to never paying over MSRP +/-, but I will if it’s something I know I like. For the record, I once paid $475 for a bottle of my favorite vintage of Stagg. Do I think that was stupid? Yes. Would I do it again someday, potentially. 

Lot B, I wouldn’t pay over $100. I’ve drank plenty of it, and even at $100 it would be overpriced and I’d only buy it to share it with people that geek out about the name, or maybe to trade it. 

PVW15. Be warned. Seriously. The current PVW15 is nothing like what built the Pappy reputation. The last few years are absolutely nothing special. I would take any year of Stagg (except maybe 2013) over any PVW15 of the last several years. And it isn’t even close, if you’re going by the taste of what’s in the glass. Not even close. Now some people may just really want that bottle to display on their bar, but that person probably isn’t opening it anyway so I guess who cares that the juice isn’t good at that point? 

Edited by BottledInBond
  • I like it 4

No to all three. There's too much good whiskey out there at realistic prices to knowingly get gouged.

• I like it 2

I'd go up to $200 on GTS or WLW. MAYBE $250 for WLW.Probably a bit more for ER17. I've never owned my own bottle of anything PVW but have tried them all. I don't know that I could pay above retail for any of them. I've done SBS with Lot B and W12 and also with OVRW and OWA and there are way more similarities than there are differences.  While I do love my Weller (and PVW) wheaters they are a more subtle whiskey than the bold, in-your-face rye recipe like a GTS. Cask strength wheater WLW is the exception. 2017 WLW is probably in my top 3 or 4 of all time.

Sadly (or is it luckily?) I wasn't afforded the opportunity to buy ANY BTAC or VW this year.

Edited by Clueby

I pay about 150% of retail because the big chain that dominates this market charges a slight premium.  $200 is about the most I'd pay for Stagg.  I don't think you're doing all that bad at that price given the alternative is paying double.  I'd skip Lot B for any premium, it's the worst of the VW line.  Not knowing the price of the PVW 15 makes it difficult to give advice.  You could buy the GTS and Lot B for $200 each an end up with the GTS for free and a little money in your pocket...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.