How much would you pay?

Jfletchgu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've scored none of these, but the gallery has broken me down enough that I would give the GTS a go at $200 for a first time buy.

You guys always bring it with the comments. Exactly what I was looking for. I’m going to end up picking up the Stagg and Lot B (and maybe the 15) for some bourbon buddies that are willing to pay, but I’m going to hold off. I knew what retail is and I know the prices on the secondary market, but was curious what the bourbon experts on SB truly valued these bottles. Thanks

No to all three. There's too much good whiskey out there at realistic prices to knowingly get gouged.

Yep. That’s about the shape of it Gary.

Let us know what the 15 goes for. My guess is $399 based on what they're asking for the Lot B, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I get the sense that for many liquor stores, these key bottles are an alpha male validation of their status as a retailer and represent far more value extravagantly priced in a showcase than in the Glencairns of good customers. It's more effective to dramatically display your missiles on parade than to actually launch them.

Damn, this is such a solid observation.  

• I like it 2

On 1/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, Vosgar said:

Let us know what the 15 goes for. My guess is $399 based on what they're asking for the Lot B, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more

You were right on the money if you meant 400 OTD (it was $365 plus tax). I ended up picking up the GTS and PVW15 for two buddies that have deeper pockets then me. I also picked up a PLP12 for someone else. The manager promised to “hook me up”  next time they get some good stuff in so although I personally came out empty handed maybe I’ll get a good deal on something in the future. We shall see.

• I like it 1

So I think that the observation that the display of high end bottles is a validation of the store’s prestige is a valid one.  I have two stores that frequent locally and one fits well in that category.  The other store’s owner is much more knowledgeable and tries to accommodate his high end customers.

In response to the original thread topic, I would have to put my top end at around $300-400 for a special purchase.  I bought my wife a Patron Piedra Extra Anejo in this range and it is a really special bottle. I have bought a PVW15 at MRSP back when Michigan allowed lotteries for the store allocation and would buy another if available at the current MRSP. 

The worst "validation of prestige" I saw was when I saw a bottle of either PVW 15 or 20 on the shelf behind the cash register I, even though I knew I couldn't afford it, asked what he was selling it for.  His response, "Oh, that's not for sale.  It's my own personal bottle, I just have it here to show it off."  Definitely a Liquor Store Huh moment.

• I like it 2

Sadly, in this day and age with the bourbon boom still in full swing I think those are very reasonable prices. It’s nearly impossible to find any of those bottles even at insane level prices.  I completely understand those who don’t pay those prices but I just want to try those bottles and I want them on my shelf. For those prices I would(and have) do it!  

GTS is probably the only bottle I know of that I'd consider dropping $200 on.  I could have bought one at retail, but strategically bought a WLW instead.  I'd hoped that the relatively more available GTS would present itself later.  Got ORVW, THH, and Lot B, but whiffed on the GTS.  Dammit!...

• I like it 1

GTS is probably the only bottle I know of that I'd consider dropping $200 on.  I could have bought one at retail, but strategically bought a WLW instead.  I'd hoped that the relatively more available GTS would present itself later.  Got ORVW, THH, and Lot B, but whiffed on the GTS.  Dammit!...

First world problems ....
  • I like it 3

I might pay $200 for a Stagg,  but not for a wheated bourbon like Van Winkle.    I've got a couple of bunkered bottles of Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel, and that's about as good as it gets for a wheater.   

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I might pay $200 for a Stagg,  but not for a wheated bourbon like Van Winkle.    I've got a couple of bunkered bottles of Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel, and that's about as good as it gets for a wheater.   

I'm jealous of those of you that got good bottles/barrels of RY10.  My only purchased bottle was just barely above drinkable.  It was a hot mess and tasted unlike any other wheated bourbon I've had, including Old Fitz.  It wouldn't have held a candle to even an OWA and was not even equal to a WSR or a MM.  I tried another bottle/barrel from the first release and it was better, but still not something I would have purchased.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.