What to do? Flaviar...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My Wife gave me a 1 year Flaviar membership and after analyzing things, I don't think it looks like a grand prize, at all. I would never hurt her feelings in saying this, so the year will be spent making the most of it. I see a couple of things that I would buy, but generally speaking, I would rather give that money over, locally. This probably is a decent way for me to try a bit of Japanese whiskeys, Scotch & some of the Irish that I have wanted to try.

Other than that, I am turning to the gallery here, that has helped me so much with my bourbon adventure, in hopes that my fellow bourbonites can give me some pointers on how to make this worthwhile.

All opinions welcome, except jumping off of a bridge. I am more the kind of guy to throw someone off the bridge, than taking a self-inflicted header...

My impression of flaviar is that they offer generally bad whiskey at very marked up prices (but they do send you samples, so at least you're trying in small sets without having to buy a full bottle).  Now I've never had them so I may be off here.

I do think this was a very thoughtful gift since she knows how much you like bourbon and she was trying to get you something very nice.  I would just make the most of it and try a bunch of stuff this year.  Maybe you'll find a few that you'll enjoy that you never would have tried otherwise.

• I like it 5

16 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

My impression of flaviar is that they offer generally bad whiskey at very marked up prices (but they do send you samples, so at least you're trying in small sets without having to buy a full bottle).  Now I've never had them so I may be off here.

I do think this was a very thoughtful gift since she knows how much you like bourbon and she was trying to get you something very nice.  I would just make the most of it and try a bunch of stuff this year.  Maybe you'll find a few that you'll enjoy that you never would have tried otherwise.

Thanx Joe...

I figured right along those lines but I needed some verification. It definitely was a thoughtful Christmas present...

Friend at work had it for a while a few years ago. Not sure how the selection works now but he didn't have much choice over what he got. He passed a lot on to me since most things weren't in his wheelhouse. A lot of world whiskies, rum, etc. Indian whiskey, Scotch, very little bourbon. I think the program is more tailored now to what you like and/or request?

Flaviar profits on playing middleman.  They "curate" selections for the unknowing.  They're a frequent gift bought by people for people who like bourbon.  I'd treat it as a gift card and either find yourself the best deal you can or blow it on something you otherwise wouldn't buy.  It's a thoughtful gift.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.