Murray Hill Club

DEH1212
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Visited DC with wife just before shut down and decided to stop at Joseph Magnus Distillery.  The Murray Hill Club lounge was awesome and I was able to score a MHSR!  I did notice 2 barrels labeled Rye in the corner during the tour, whats up your sleeve Nancy?? ??

Screenshot_20190109-125203.png

• I like it 1

That color looks awesome. Fill level seems low but I know it's based on actual ml going into the bottle.

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, DEH1212 said:

Visited DC with wife just before shut down and decided to stop at Joseph Magnus Distillery.  The Murray Hill Club lounge was awesome and I was able to score a MHSR!  I did notice 2 barrels labeled Rye in the corner during the tour, whats up your sleeve Nancy?? ??

Screenshot_20190109-125203.png

@DEH1212, wow, I can't believe I didn't see this post earlier, and here it is already mid-June! Looks like you landed a bottle of the MHC-Special Release that I finished in Pineau des Charentes barrels? A penny for your thoughts? 

As for the rye, I hate to say this, but please don't hold your breath on that one. I didn't have a hand in this, unfortunately, but those early rye fermentations (and distillations) were really faulty. Lots of butyric acid notes and other nasty bacterial issues, along with the classic "rye ball" notes (i.e., ethyl guaiacol/ethyl phenol/4-vinyl-guaiacol aromas such as band-aid, medicinal, smoky notes). Long story what happened, but at any rate, I guarantee that if I have anything to do with it, that stuff will NEVER see the light of day. 

On the bright side, this year's version of the Murray Hill Club Special Release will be very different from the previous two years. I was just back there at the distillery last week checking those 7 barrels, and they're really coming along very well. I'm hoping they'll be ready by September or so. This year, I'm using Virginia Distillery Company's cider casks that they used for their malt whiskey. I work and blend with VA Distillery Co. as well, so I thought this profile might be a nice fit for the MHC-Special this year. The barrels already are developing some apple notes, along with biscuity malt and a hint of peat. 

I'll keep you updated on it! 

Cheers, 

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

(i.e., ethyl guaiacol/ethyl phenol/4-vinyl-guaiacol aromas such as band-aid, medicinal, smoky notes)

Sounds like a young indie Laphroaig to me, where do I sign up?

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sounds like a young indie Laphroaig to me, where do I sign up?

Will keep you up to speed on it, @Marekv8! ?

• I like it 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@DEH1212, wow, I can't believe I didn't see this post earlier, and here it is already mid-June! Looks like you landed a bottle of the MHC-Special Release that I finished in Pineau des Charentes barrels? A penny for your thoughts? 

As for the rye, I hate to say this, but please don't hold your breath on that one. I didn't have a hand in this, unfortunately, but those early rye fermentations (and distillations) were really faulty. Lots of butyric acid notes and other nasty bacterial issues, along with the classic "rye ball" notes (i.e., ethyl guaiacol/ethyl phenol/4-vinyl-guaiacol aromas such as band-aid, medicinal, smoky notes). Long story what happened, but at any rate, I guarantee that if I have anything to do with it, that stuff will NEVER see the light of day. 

On the bright side, this year's version of the Murray Hill Club Special Release will be very different from the previous two years. I was just back there at the distillery last week checking those 7 barrels, and they're really coming along very well. I'm hoping they'll be ready by September or so. This year, I'm using Virginia Distillery Company's cider casks that they used for their malt whiskey. I work and blend with VA Distillery Co. as well, so I thought this profile might be a nice fit for the MHC-Special this year. The barrels already are developing some apple notes, along with biscuity malt and a hint of peat. 

I'll keep you updated on it! 

Cheers, 

Nancy

Oooh.  Happy to see this.  Thanks for the details, Nancy.  A purveyor near me (like, walking distance even for me) has a couple of the MHC/SR on an upper shelf at a "reasonable" price.  I know what I'm going to do next week (out of town this weekend).

And, as Marekv8 noted, that "iodine" aftertaste in some scotches is noticeable for some of us which is why some of us prefer bourbon rather than taking a chance that "the taste" might be in there.  AND NOW I know what that is called - rye ball.  Sounds like some kind of playground game.

September?  I'm on the JAM email list so will keep an eye open.  I will not be late on this one.

• I like it 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:05 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Oooh.  Happy to see this.  Thanks for the details, Nancy.  A purveyor near me (like, walking distance even for me) has a couple of the MHC/SR on an upper shelf at a "reasonable" price.  I know what I'm going to do next week (out of town this weekend).

And, as Marekv8 noted, that "iodine" aftertaste in some scotches is noticeable for some of us which is why some of us prefer bourbon rather than taking a chance that "the taste" might be in there.  AND NOW I know what that is called - rye ball.  Sounds like some kind of playground game.

September?  I'm on the JAM email list so will keep an eye open.  I will not be late on this one.

@Harry in WashDC, I'd be happy to keep you in the loop on exactly when this one will probably be released. I'm having them send me some cask samples next week to check up on them again. I like to check in on this MHC-SR barrels about every 2 or 3 weeks, just to make sure everything is on track. 

Would you mind PM'ing me about where your local purveyor is that still has some of the old MHC/SR bottles? We're out of them, and we only have enough of the Pineau des Charentes finish for lab samples, but I have to say I'd like to purchase a few more of those for my library, since I don't intend to do that finish again. I don't know if your local can ship, but even if not, I'll find a way to get it out here to CA. ?

Cheers, and many thanks,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.