Old Forester Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

@Josh pointed out on social media that OF posted on Instagram that they will have a Rye out in February the COLA was approved last April:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18114001000578

Nice to see, doesn't seem to be the same as the DSP354 Rittenhouse as it is 65/15/20 R/C/B and Ritt seems to always have been listed as 51% Rye, a few sources show 51/35/14 but most list as 51/37/12.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Heh, I jumped on the thread with a faint hope of seeing a Ritt comeback. No luck.

On the plus side it's a new rye with an interesting mashbill at a solid proof, also the only COLA I found was for 1 Liter bottles and it has a screwtop, so I'm thinking it will be competitively priced.

• I like it 1

Ya beat me to it Kevin. ^_^

INTRODUCING THE FIRST RYE FROM THE FIRST BOTTLED BOURBON

Our signature bourbon recipe has done this brand proud through Prohibition, World Wars and changing consumer palates. This year, we will create a new tradition with a Kentucky Straight Rye Whisky that will capture the hearts and excite the palates of experienced Rye drinkers and curious whisky enthusiasts alike.

Leveraging a historic recipe, Old Forester Kentucky Straight Rye Whisky features a mash bill of 65% Rye, 20% Malted Barley, and 15% Corn. The generous percentage of malt yields a unique floral character, balancing the sharp, brisk spice of the rye grain.

At 100 proof, Old Forester Rye Whisky plays beautifully in a cocktail but also stands up boldly on its own.

Old Forester Rye Whisky will be hitting shelves nationwide in February.

Biba! Joe

1f769c17-d381-4bd8-95fd-57d10c7de282-1.png

rye-bottle-lineup.png

• I like it 1

I'm excited about the mashbill - not only higher rye content, but higher barley than corn could be really interesting!

Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.  This is a very intriguing release.  Interesting mashbill, solid provenance, good proof and minimum age, and only $23.  Pretty much checks all the boxes for me.  Count me in!

• I like it 2

Definitely one of the more interesting Ryes I've had and at this price point, maybe the best. For me it's all about the mash bill. With 20% malted barley I get a more viscous mouth feel yet I still get the traditional rye characteristics with some floral notes,  a cinnamon/nutmeg thing and a bit of citrus at the very end. 

Interested to see others' impressions of this. 

5 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

Definitely one of the more interesting Ryes I've had and at this price point, maybe the best. For me it's all about the mash bill. With 20% malted barley I get a more viscous mouth feel yet I still get the traditional rye characteristics with some floral notes,  a cinnamon/nutmeg thing and a bit of citrus at the very end. 

Interested to see others' impressions of this. 

Is it on the market in NC already?

This will supposedly be released sometime in February, as mentioned in one of the pics in my previous post. Even though I'm not a rye guy, the mash bill on this has me a little interested. Who knows, I just might even give this one a try. :huh:

Biba! Joe

It is intriguing to see this new release with a 65% rye and 20% malt  mash bill especially at 100 proof, not to mention a friendly price, especially for cocktail use. Could maybe wish for at least 4 years, whether or not they called it BIB or not, but I guess I will wait to try it before being too critical! Maybe it will some day get to at least 4 years of age.

But it will be nice to have a new player in the rye world somewhere in between 51% and 95-100% rye. Not only is it not the old Rittenhouse that they made for do long but by all accounts it isn’t the mash bill used in the Woodford rye (is that even still made?) which was rumored to be 53% rye I believe.

44 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is intriguing to see this new release with a 65% rye and 20% malt  mash bill especially at 100 proof, not to mention a friendly price, especially for cocktail use. Could maybe wish for at least 4 years, whether or not they called it BIB or not, but I guess I will wait to try it before being too critical! Maybe it will some day get to at least 4 years of age.

But it will be nice to have a new player in the rye world somewhere in between 51% and 95-100% rye. Not only is it not the old Rittenhouse that they made for do long but by all accounts it isn’t the mash bill used in the Woodford rye (is that even still made?) which was rumored to be 53% rye I believe.

I'm not seeing an age statement anywhere, though my eyeballs aren't what they used to be, and they are calling it straight, so it has to at least be 4 years old doesn't it?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I'm not seeing an age statement anywhere, though my eyeballs aren't what they used to be, and they are calling it straight, so it has to at least be 4 years old doesn't it?

See, I knew we’re brothers.  I thought the same, but doubted my sucky vision enough to not say anything.  :D  

4 hours ago, flahute said:

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

See, I knew we’re brothers.  I thought the same, but doubted my sucky vision enough to not say anything.  :D  

Wait, I thought it had to be 2 years for straight but 4 years for BiB (plus the same distilling season of course). 

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Wait, I thought it had to be 2 years for straight but 4 years for BiB (plus the same distilling season of course). 

Straight can be 2 years old only if there's an age statement on the label. If no age statement present it can't be less than 4 years old.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

True except it needs an age statement under 4 years

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Straight can be 2 years old only if there's an age statement on the label. If no age statement present it can't be less than 4 years old.

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

True except it needs an age statement under 4 years

Dangit, I knew that. My bad. Carry on...

• I like it 1

Just now, JCwhammie said:

Dangit, I knew that. My bad. Carry on...

LOL! No worries. There's a lot of rules to keep track of. I sometimes have to stop and look something up just be sure I'm remembering correctly.

I thought the 70% rye mash bill JD Rye was pretty good; just needed some proof or age to take it to the next level.

So boys...  I got to try this out yesterday at an event.  Not quite sure how I felt about it.    To be fair, it was the fourth pour of the event.  I want to try it again on a clean palate before I make my final opinion. 

• I like it 2

On 1/16/2019 at 3:58 PM, CUfan99 said:

Is it on the market in NC already?

Not sure about NC. Got it in SC

Bought the only bottle on the shelf near Chicago today. Excited about this one; will share my thoughts when I try it

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.