Old Forester Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can't remember the last time I was excited about a $25 bottle. I haven't seen one here yet but I'll grab one when I do.

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Breaking Bourbon published a review of it: http://www.breakingbourbon.com/old-forester-rye.html

Thanks for sharing that.  I too thought the higher malted barley might make this unique, although had hoped the higher rye content would keep it on the sharper/spicy side.  Looking forward to grabbing one of these whenever I see it.

I love this juice. Fantastic flavor and mouthfeel for any price, and at how much it costs it will become a staple on my shelf if it is readily available. Probably my go-to rye. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Ruffin51 said:

I love this juice. Fantastic flavor and mouthfeel for any price, and at how much it costs it will become a staple on my shelf if it is readily available. Probably my go-to rye. 

Can't wait to try it. Right now, High West Double Rye is my go-to Rye sipper. 

6 hours ago, Ruffin51 said:

Glad to hear that the early returns are positive, it seems.  Are you far enough along with it to pick out which rye flavor profile category you would put it in?  Peppery?  Baking spices?  Earthy?  Dilly mint?  Other?  

21 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Can't wait to try it. Right now, High West Double Rye is my go-to Rye sipper. 

I've been so fortunate in obtaining the Double Rye Barrel Selects - which are constants at my house and among my favorite whiskeys - that I'm a bit embarrassed to say I've never bought a normal Double Rye bottle, although I do order it at bars. I'll need to do that soon, and the Old Forester will be a perfect one to compare it to.

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Glad to hear that the early returns are positive, it seems.  Are you far enough along with it to pick out which rye flavor profile category you would put it in?  Peppery?  Baking spices?  Earthy?  Dilly mint?  Other?  

I'll taste it again with this question in mind tonight. As picky as I am about what I like and don't like, I don't generally describe whiskey in these terms as I find it difficult to do so. I'll give it a try though!

Edited by Ruffin51
syntax

Joe,

I think the OF Rye is stone fruit, floral and peppery in that order. The pepper is mild for a rye and comes after the rush of bright flavors, and lingers on the front of the tongue. I followed this one by a Remus 95 proof rye which seemed more dilly mint, and a single barrel Whistle Pig MGP 12-13 year which seemed more peppery. All three are delicious and quite different than each other. 

• I like it 1

I passed on this at a local store yesterday. Sorry, but I forget what the price was. :huh:

Biba! Joe

I picked a bottle up yesterday.  To compare, I started with WR rye, which I find to be an subtly smooth, enjoyable and balanced sipper. 

First impression?  Nose is very similar to the WR, but with a more pronounced alcohol bloom.  Mouth feel is a bit thinner (think less silky) but overall a more flavorful and complex tasting pour than the WR.  It's also got plenty of spice and a big, lengthy, spice fading to fruity finish on it.  IMO, the additional proof really ramps up the sensory experience, which I will more often than not prefer over the simple and understated elegance of the WR. 

I paid $27.99 for the bottle and will gladly continue to do so.   

• I like it 4

On 2/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Ruffin51 said:

Joe,

I think the OF Rye is stone fruit, floral and peppery in that order. The pepper is mild for a rye and comes after the rush of bright flavors, and lingers on the front of the tongue. I followed this one by a Remus 95 proof rye which seemed more dilly mint, and a single barrel Whistle Pig MGP 12-13 year which seemed more peppery. All three are delicious and quite different than each other. 

Interesting, I picked up a bottle this evening.  I found a similar fruit, floral and then peppery flavor.  I also noted an initial rush of the fruit then floral.  The only difference is I found the peppery finish to be fairly strong and long lasting.  I like that aspect in a rye.  Certainly different than the dill mint MGP ryes and the sometimes rough KC rye which is also 100 proof.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Paddy said:

I picked a bottle up yesterday.  To compare, I started with WR rye, which I find to be an subtly smooth, enjoyable and balanced sipper. 

First impression?  Nose is very similar to the WR, but with a more pronounced alcohol bloom.  Mouth feel is a bit thinner (think less silky) but overall a more flavorful and complex tasting pour than the WR.  It's also got plenty of spice and a big, lengthy, spice fading to fruity finish on it.  IMO, the additional proof really ramps up the sensory experience, which I will more often than not prefer over the simple and understated elegance of the WR. 

I paid $27.99 for the bottle and will gladly continue to do so.   

Your last statement was enough recommendation for me.  As noted above, I tasted some of the same flavor tones as Ruffin.  It has been a while since I have had WR Rye.  However, from what I remember, it does seem similar in profile.  I agree it seems more flavorful and complex than WR which I found to be average at best for a rye.  Of course, that could be more power of suggestion than fact.  A blind SBS would be interesting.  I agree on the spice and pepper, except I noted the spice then pepper at the end.  Although when the pepper faded, I noted a fruity taste similar to Juicy Fruit gum, after the initial flavor fade when chewing a new stick.

At this point, and it is early in my evaluation, I can see this being strong competition for Pikesville or WT101.  I paid $29.99 for the bottle.  

^^^^^^^I've spent a bit more time with it since my first report.  Enough so that my guarded initial impressions have been overcome.  You know, you taste something for the first time and it's too good to be true, so you just expect it to suck the next time you try it?  Well, my admittedly average expectations for this product continue to be exceeded every time I've poured a finger, or two.  Heck, I've already bought another bottle!  I've also done the SBS with the Pikesville and it holds it's own very nicely, with a balanced profile that I actually prefer over the PKSVL.  Like Runnin51 noted above, @$26.99 this has already wormed its way in to my #1 daily drinker (rye) spot.     

My early front runner for new whiskey product of the year (yes, I'm speaking to you SJ)! 

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 3

I am a fan of Old Forester, and grabbed the rye today at a TW in Kennesaw GA, for $22.99. This is a bargain. A solid rye, at a good price. I will keep this in stock. 

Pat

I am a fan of Old Forester, and grabbed the rye today at a TW in Kennesaw GA, for $22.99. This is a bargain. A solid rye, at a good price. I will keep this in stock. 

Pat

Same here. I picked one up at Green’s yesterday for $23 and had a couple of glasses last night. Not mind blowing at all but a really solid all around utility rye. Utility like RittBiB. Neat, rocks, highball, cocktails? The new OF Rye can cover them.

Fred "Camera Boy" Minnick just called it America's Best Value Whiskey - so far this year.  I have not seen it around here.  After that review, I may not.  Poop.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2019/02/15/old-forester-rye-meet-americas-best-value-whiskey/#3f180cd4bae0

^^^^^^I saw that.  Hopefully it's not the 'death kiss' like for it like it was for the availability of the HM BIB (BF reports that they have plenty enough to go around and keep the shelves stocked). 

Does anyone else (besides me) ever why a lot of these proverbial whiskey God's seem to always end up writing about something that we've just happened to be discussing on this site?:rolleyes:

• I like it 1

^^^^^^I saw that.  Hopefully it's not the 'death kiss' like for it like it was for the availability of the HM BIB (BF reports that they have plenty enough to go around and keep the shelves stocked). 

Does anyone else (besides me) ever why a lot of these proverbial whiskey God's seem to always end up writing about something that we've just happened to be discussing on this site?:rolleyes:

You wouldn’t be hinting they may be trolling us for content would you? [gasp]

16 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Fred "Camera Boy" Minnick just called it America's Best Value Whiskey - so far this year.  I have not seen it around here.  After that review, I may not.  Poop.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2019/02/15/old-forester-rye-meet-americas-best-value-whiskey/#3f180cd4bae0

Fred 'Hypebeast' Minnick strikes again... 

• I like it 1

On 2/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Interesting, I picked up a bottle this evening.  I found a similar fruit, floral and then peppery flavor.  I also noted an initial rush of the fruit then floral.  The only difference is I found the peppery finish to be fairly strong and long lasting.  I like that aspect in a rye.  Certainly different than the dill mint MGP ryes and the sometimes rough KC rye which is also 100 proof.

I picked up a bottle today. Your review is pretty much the same as mine. I'll add that the three flavors are like very distinct separate steps. I think I'd prefer it to be a bit more integrated but that's nitpicking for $22. Its soft and fruity going in, floral in the middle, and then the peppery spice that blooms as it moves back along your tongue.  I liked the color as well.  Pretty dark for what it is.

20190216_204407-784x1613.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

On 2/15/2019 at 8:23 AM, BigRich said:

Same here. I picked one up at Green’s yesterday for $23 and had a couple of glasses last night. Not mind blowing at all but a really solid all around utility rye. Utility like RittBiB. Neat, rocks, highball, cocktails? The new OF Rye can cover them.

^^^This right here.  I picked up one today, and came away with the same thoughts.  Honestly, I was hoping for a little more based on its specs on paper, but still am pleased with this whiskey.  Solid in all aspects.  

This is supposed to hit Seattle late next week. Looking forward to participating with y'all in discussing it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.