Old Forester Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It’s officially in Michigan at a state minimum of $24.99 right in line with Rittenhouse. I have to say I’m really enjoying it. Breath of fresh air. This will always be stocked in my home along with Rittenhouse. Cheers!

image.jpg

• I like it 1

I got this tonight. SBS with Pikesville. First impressions are.... Grape jelly and vinyl?  Enjoyable.  Different.  Unique.  Something new!  I like it... I love that it’s not like anything else I have in the bunker. I paid $20.99

Edited by Curtis Reed

This is my favorite budget OF product, by a long shot. 

Love the high malt, low corn mash bill. 

Bought a bottle on Monday at the start of a trip. 

Picked up a case on my way back home today. 

$23/bottle. Prost!!

It was supposed to arrive in the Seattle market this week but has now been delayed 3 weeks so I'll have to wait awhile longer before I can join this conversation.

I hope to pick up a bottle on the way home this evening to give it a try. 

On 2/15/2019 at 8:53 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Fred "Camera Boy" Minnick just called it America's Best Value Whiskey - so far this year.  I have not seen it around here.  After that review, I may not.  Poop.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2019/02/15/old-forester-rye-meet-americas-best-value-whiskey/#3f180cd4bae0

Old Forester rye is a fine whiskey at a fair price, but this is pure Minnick being Minnick.  In short, hyperbolic asshattery.  I become more convinced that with the more I see from him, the less he is interested about informative writings, and more concerned with furthering his personal “brand”, and pandering to anyone who can help him be some sort of uber whiskey-influencer.  Yes, opinion is opinion, but his seem so concocted that I more and more doubt their genuineness.  

• I like it 1

I'm typically not an Old Fo guy and since I'm still dry I haven't been tempted to pick up a bottle, would prefer to try a bar pour, sample or small format bottle so it doesn't end up being another untouched bottle on the Brown Forman Bourbon shelf of my liquor cabinet.

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

hyperbolic asshattery

Wasn't that the name of the Bee Gees tribute band you formed in your younger days?

24 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Wasn't that the name of the Bee Gees tribute band you formed in your younger days?

Yeah, but we never learned to properly tie our cravats...  :D

DC25D734-E5D0-4767-9932-6A04DCB11296.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, but we never learned to properly tie our cravats...  :D

DC25D734-E5D0-4767-9932-6A04DCB11296.jpeg

Well...…. didn't that play out nicely! LMAO!

• I like it 1

Picked one up Friday night and I have to say I like it a lot. Has that unmistakable Old Fo dna but it gets tamped down a lot by the high rye content. It's a good marriage of flavors to my palate. 

Made the mistake of first trying this after a pour of the CR Ardbeg Drum-- where it came across as a 6-cylinder Mustang with Canadian rock playing on the radio. Significantly better as the first pour the next day... the more aggressive rye content and 100 proof certainly help to mask its young age. At $24.00, certainly my first choice for rye-centric cocktails.

IMG_0586.thumb.jpg.2c52741acdd2cda2b9ff311537c882c8.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Made the mistake of first trying this after a pour of the CR Ardbeg Drum-- where it came across as a 6-cylinder Mustang with Canadian rock playing on the radio. Significantly better as the first pour the next day... the more aggressive rye content and 100 proof certainly help to mask its young age. At $24.00, certainly my first choice for rye-centric cocktails.

How was Drum!? Guess I should ask that in the Scotch threads.

Glad to have the palate fully functioning again, and definitely will be a repeat buyer on this one.  Has a lovely rich, thick rye spice (mint, dill, and evergreen pine trees) nose, and the palate is a solid/classic rye in my book.  Did a SBS with Ritt BIT (which I consider the standard bearer in the sub-$30 Rye department), and this is the first one I've thought held its own - if not beat it (in my book).  A solid rye that I look forward to trying in some cocktails, but would be perfectly happy to sip neat.  At the price point - definitely a winner.  Contrasting to Brown Forman's Coopers' Craft (which is about the same price, but not in the same league).  

• I like it 1

On 3/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'm typically not an Old Fo guy and since I'm still dry I haven't been tempted to pick up a bottle, would prefer to try a bar pour, sample or small format bottle so it doesn't end up being another untouched bottle on the Brown Forman Bourbon shelf of my liquor cabinet.

PM me, we will work something out.

• I like it 1

I got a bottle the other day and have only had a couple small drams, but so far impressions are good.

On the nose it's very clearly Old Forester (a good thing in my opinion). On the palate it is spicy, surprisingly dry, and herbaceous as all hell. Bordering on savory at points. I won't confuse this with a higher-end rye (Pikesville, WP store pick, etc), but for $24 this really, really holds up well. I agree that it gives Rittenhouse a run for its money as the best value/cocktail rye out there (a title it held without question for me before I opened this bottle), and its dryness is a sharp contrast to the sweetness of Rittenhouse.

It reminds me somewhat of some PA distilled Old Overholt from the 60-70s (that I lucked into and polished off recently). Herbaceous with an almost tea like quality.

As something to sip and contemplate I give it about an 8.5/10 - alright, but not something I'm going to crave. When considering value (and likely utility in cocktails, I need to try some) it's more like an 11/10. I think this would lose pretty badly to most of my favorite ryes in a blind SBS (I should try that as well), but the price point, proof, unique flavor profile and reported availability make it super easy to recommend.

Edited by EarthQuake

43 minutes ago, El Vino said:

PM me, we will work something out.

You are a good man

I finally found a bottle and I think it has earned a permanent spot in the rotation. 

This sounds like it might be my sort of thing but I haven't seen it in the DC area yet.

I made the mistake of cracking mine tonight. I say mistake as its allergy season and i am on allegra which i am convinced trashes my palate. I got the spice aspect which I enjoyed  thoroughly but the other flavors read wierd and finished in a jumble of unpleasantness. I followed with a 2/3 gone 4R. I know this 4R and tonight its waaaay off. I go through this every March and by April all is well again, cant wait to ditch the allegra!!!!!

I made the mistake of cracking mine tonight. I say mistake as its allergy season and i am on allegra which i am convinced trashes my palate. I got the spice aspect which I enjoyed  thoroughly but the other flavors read wierd and finished in a jumble of unpleasantness. I followed with a 2/3 gone 4R. I know this 4R and tonight its waaaay off. I go through this every March and by April all is well again, cant wait to ditch the allegra!!!!!

I’m usually on Allegra too and I think not being on anything and allowing my allergies get to me messes my palate up more than taking something for it.

Much better tonight than the first pour when I was admittedly handicapped by allergy meds. March is the low point on my tasting calandar due to said allergy so this will only improve with time, by April all will be well. I decided after a LONG work week to do a SBS With a house favorite, Ritt. Bib. I am certainly NOT giving up my Ritt, its a staple and my go to rye, but glad to have the OF and I LOVE the spice it brings, a worthy adition, well done!

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

On 3/22/2019 at 3:17 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Much better tonight than the first pour when I was admittedly handicapped by allergy meds. March is the low point on my tasting calandar due to said allergy so this will only improve with time, by April all will be well. I decided after a LONG work week to do a SBS With a house favorite, Ritt. Bib. I am certainly NOT giving up my Ritt, its a staple and my go to rye, but glad to have the OF and I LOVE the spice it brings, a worthy adition, well done!

$18.99. Can’t beat it. I already have 4 bunkered.  The malted barley makes this one truly unique and fun to sip when looking for a change of pace. A great rye to use in a SBS on a new whiskey drinker. they will appreciate and notice the differences. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.