Old Forester Rye

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't drink a lot of rye, but I think the OF Rye is great and much better than some of the High West ryes that are 3-4X more expensive.

• I like it 1

I got to sample this from a distributor rep the other day, and I think it’s pretty darn good. It’s hitting shelves now in my area, and I think it will do very well, especially given the price point.

• I like it 2

I had never tried a rye, but wanted to, and so with the favorable reviews in this thread I decided to give this one a try. 

I enjoyed it.  I actually found the spiciness to be reminiscent of WT101 (the bourbon, not the rye, which I've never had).   Maybe not a sweet as WT, and a little more floral. 

Love the OF Rye. It is now my staple for cocktails but it is also great on its own....

• I like it 1

On 5/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, FlounderinDC said:

Love the OF Rye. It is now my staple for cocktails but it is also great on its own....

Agree.  I assume it will be awhile for bars to catch up.  Was in a nice steakhouse last weekend and ordered an old fashioned with rye.  The waiter said they normally use KC rye as their standard, and based on experience with KC rye cocktails I didn't ask him to change anything.  But I agree this OF will be superb in cocktails.

Edited by Kepler

As I spend more time with this I am noticing a distinct green bell pepper note in addition to the spice which I like and the sweetness. Bell pepper is not my favorite among the various peppers out there so I am understanding why this one and I are dancing a bit more than I do with, say, Rittenhouse. It was love at first sip with that one. OF is finding more of a home among the "mood pours" for me.

8 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

As I spend more time with this I am noticing a distinct green bell pepper note in addition to the spice which I like and the sweetness. Bell pepper is not my favorite among the various peppers out there so I am understanding why this one and I are dancing a bit more than I do with, say, Rittenhouse. It was love at first sip with that one. OF is finding more of a home among the "mood pours" for me.

Yeah I get some distinct herbaceous and vegetal qualities out of this stuff. With MGP it's dill, mabybe Old Forester it's bell pepper?

I'm  sipping on this on a spring deck night. This is now one of my top 3 rye  whiskies. I find myself to be a 95-100% rye mashbill fan. On a trip to my local whiskey store it was suggested that I try this due to owner as well as customer reviews. I did and I am thrilled to have expanded my whiskey pallate to a mashbill that does or should I say did not fit into my flavor profile. OF Rye starts off with that nice rye spice followed by a fruit sweetness and finishes with spicy oak and caramel. This is a must buy ,great job Old Forester. Let this sit for several minutes after your first sip and the   sweetness will come out to combine with the spice and wood for an exceptional pour.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I can't say enough good about the OF Rye. Very tasty stuff that truly exhibits the characteristics of a rye. None of this 51% nonsense. A classic rye flavor at a very reasonable price. What's there not to love?

I'm looking forward to trying this OF rye with more age and proof.  12 year barrel proof 65% OF rye. 

Yes, Please?!

Finally hit my controlled county in MD today and picked one up thanks to an insider tip as it still isn’t in the online system. Clerk had to look it up cuz it wouldn’t scan.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say how much of a fan I am of this stuff. Last night was a rye night for me and I sampled from a variety  of ryes I had sitting  around. I cracked a fresh WT101 and it was fantastic, a staple for any rye bar for sure. I sampled some other premium grade ryes like CEHT, Ky Owl, and a Whistlepig  PS 10yr. All of these were fantastic in their own way and I enjoyed  every  single one on their own merits.

Then I decided to wind down the evening casually  with something "less," a "lower shelf" product, or so I thought. It's  shocking how superb this OF rye is for the price! It really held its own against  those higher priced offerings. And by holding  its own I mean really matching  them step for step. For all his "hyperbolic asshattery" (great term BTW), that nincompoop  Minnick may be right, ... this might  be the  best everyday pour in American  whiskey currently...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

On 8/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, marshall9779 said:

Finally hit my controlled county in MD today and picked one up thanks to an insider tip as it still isn’t in the online system. Clerk had to look it up cuz it wouldn’t scan.

What is MoCo charging for this?  I've been running over to VA to get some.

3 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

WashDC stores have it for $25/750 plus 10.25% alcohol tax compared to $25/750 plus 5.3% sales tax in VA (um, 6% in NoVa and Hampton Roads) . As of a few minutes ago, MoCo still doesn't have it on line.  If I get to a MoCo store this week (very likely Thurs) AND Marsh hasn't posted, I'll report on availability and price.

49 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WashDC stores have it for $25/750 plus 10.25% alcohol tax compared to $25/750 plus 5.3% sales tax in VA (um, 6% in NoVa and Hampton Roads) . As of a few minutes ago, MoCo still doesn't have it on line.  If I get to a MoCo store this week (very likely Thurs) AND Marsh hasn't posted, I'll report on availability and price.

Thanks Harry!  I haven't seen it in the stores.  Not sure why it isn't on the website yet.  MoCo has been a little weird lately with how the list things.   

The OF is good, but I do find it a little sweet.  It makes a fine Sazerac, so that alone is a positive in my book.  

• I like it 1

I believe it was $22.99. I think after tax about $25.05
  • I like it 1

28 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

I believe it was $22.99. I think after tax about $25.05

Very reasonable.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  Thanks.

I finally found this out in the wild today, after much looking.  I'm on my second pour, and I must say, the praise is not hyperbole.

There are a lot of good things going on here.  I get tastes of cherry cola, sometimes coffee cake.  Drinks well below its' 100 proof.  Some of the better dusty Old Forester Bourbon characteristics are in there too.

Only complaint is I don't like the metal screw cap.  Neck of the bottle is oddly shaped, not ergonomically designed.  Not that will keep me from being a repeat customer.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:59 PM, PaulO said:

Only complaint is I don't like the metal screw cap.  Neck of the bottle is oddly shaped, not ergonomically designed.  Not that will keep me from being a repeat customer.

Well at least it’s not in the birthday bourbon bottle. 

Those are hard to pour from and hog shelf space. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent a few days now with this bottle drinking it in a rotation of various bourbons and ryes.  And today I had a pour a few hours after a pour of the Glenmorangie lasanta, bought a 50ml because it was there and I hadn’t tried it. I think it was very smart of OF to use this recipe.  First, the rye is high (65%) enough to really hit those classic rye notes.  But, instead of going for a very high rye or 100% rye or going for the next major component being corn, which I associate with the sweet side of a rittenhouse or knob creek rye, they do 20% malted barley with 15% corn.  Now, I know that is news to nobody here.  But, I think in a market where they are arguably coming a little bit late into the rye game  they did something perhaps a little risky but at the same time bold.  Bringing that malted barley up to 20% has a clear impact on the flavor.  I get notes of “bandaid” (not a bad thing) that I typically associate with scotch.  And a nice floral note that others have mentioned, with just a hint of sweetness.  For the price I am very impressed with this.  I could see someone that hates scotch not liking this at all.  But if you want to separate yourself from an already saturated market while still producing a very enjoyable whisky at a very palatable price....

and no, I am not in any way associated with OF?

Edited by KSJon
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.