New guy with another silly question

Gunslinger686
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you've ever chewed an a toothpick too long you get that dry, slightly bitter, woody taste in your mouth. I equate that pretty strongly with oaky bourbon. Good thing I happen to like that taste. 

Definitely agree with others about smell being a huge component of taste. 

16 hours ago, Gunslinger686 said:

Tracking down some WSR now ,really hope this works.  Here’s a short funny for you, this past weekend at a local watering hole with a friend who is less in the Bourbon than I am ,  we each got a flight of four different Bourbons so a total of eight, all of which we could not afford to buy a bottle of and we compare tasting notes don’t know how many times he said there is the oak  I wanted to choke him. Lol.We tried or stuff like PVW15,RHF,THH,ECBP ,EC23,W12,BT  experimental & Pendleton 20 yr .  This was my first time drinking  Pappy so I saved it for last to allow it to open up as much as possible in the glass was somewhat disappointed I thought the Weller 12 was in the same ballpark ,my favorite of the eight was the Thomas H handy  Best way to describe it was like a nuclear meltdown in my mouth so much going on with that one.  And yes we did clean our palette with lots of water between each tasting .

If you couldn't taste the oak in EC23, especially when compared to BT or PV15, then maybe that is something your taste buds just can't process.  Sort of like those of us that thinks cilantro tastes like soap.  Just throwing that out there....    When I had EC23 all I could taste was the barrel and it just wasn't for me.  It was sort of a let down as I have a bottle and was dying to try it but didn't want to open it.  I can only imagine what PV25 would taste like but I'm not laying out $500 for a pour to find out.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

I recognize the scent/flavor of oak from memories of wood shop in high school.  The scent of freshly sawed oak is heavenly. Same when hitting it with a power sander.

Me too. Oak, walnut, mahogany. Love those smells. These days I love doing hikes in white oak forests. Love the smell of freshly fallen trees. Heavenly. Bourbonly. ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.