A Hypothetical Herd of Unicorns

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Killing a little time on a Wednesday afternoon before the final work whistle.  There has been lots of good chatter lately on the prices people would pay for limited editions and it got me thinking . . .  dangerous, I know. Here is the hypothetical I'd like to pose to the forum.

You walk into a unknown LS, browse around, and start chatting bourbon with the owner.  After a few minutes he mentions that he had been holding certain bottles for a longstanding customer who just called and said due to personal reasons he was no longer able to drink bourbon and thus was unable to buy the aforementioned bottles.  Right time, right place for you as the owner offers you the opportunity to purchase any or all of the bottles.  Here is the list:

W107 store pick x2 - $30; W12 x2 - $30

ETL x2 - $35; RHF x2 - $60

EH Taylor Barrel Proof - $70; Eh Taylor Four Grain - $70

Michter's 10 - $100; Michter's 10 Rye - $110

Old Fitz Bib 11 yr - $110;  Old Fitz Bib 9 yr - $90

Heaven Hill 27 - $400

Russel's Reserve 2002 - $250

Booker's 30th - $200

Weller CYPB - $40

Four Roses 130th - $150

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon - $100

Parker's Heritage Orange Curacao - $90

Elijah Craig 18 - $110; Elijah Craig 23 - $200

WLW, Stagg, ER17, THH, Saz18 - $100 each

Old Rip 10 - $60; Van Winkle Lot B - $70

Pappy 15 - $100; Pappy 20 - $170

Pappy 23 - $250; Van Winkle Rye - $120

Additional rules.  1 - anything bought has to be opened before leaving.  Nothing has to be poured, but the seal needs to be broken.  This is to eliminate responses like "buy it all and flip the Pappy 23 and 20 to cover cost"

2 - As you were wholly unprepared this will have to go on a card, no ability to hide the purchase from the wife.

3 - As you are thinking, dude behind you chimes in and says "I'll buy anything he does not want"   No chance of coming back later for leftovers.

So, what are you purchasing?

• I like it 1

Wow Bob!  Being the Weller whore that I am, of course I'd be in for all the Weller's. I'd also buy the ETL's, and the ER17. The Old Rip 10 is a "flip of the coin" maybe.

Biba! joe

• I like it 1

GTS, WLW, ER17, the W12s, FR 130, Old Rip 10, Lot B, PVW 15 and 20 and the Van Winkle Rye.

I would definitely take an ass chewing from my wife when she saw the credit card bill but I would explain it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Then I would show her the secondary market prices.  

• I like it 1

I'm definitely getting WLW, EHTBP, and RHF. I'd ask him to double check to see if 4R Al Young was back there somewhere! 

I would replenish the bunker with:

ETL x2 - $35

EH Taylor Barrel Proof - $70

And get a few of  the unicorns that I like but would in today's market not put in the effort to find:

WLW - $100

Stagg - $100

Old Rip 10 - $60

Right at $500 and would cover me for most of the year. I'm sure there would still be times I reach for a WT101, RR or BT.  It would be a year of fine drankin" indeed!

I'd likely get all Pappys, BTAC, Bookers, and RR. And call it a day. In the grand scheme of things it's not an expense that'd make any material impact on my daily life. And the thought of not having to give 2 shits about the next hunting season is worth the price.

What I leave behind isn't bad, but not essential either. Plus there is a limit to how much weight I can deadlift.

• I like it 1

I'd get all the BTAC and Van Winkle, the Booker's, the CEHTBP and all the Wellers.  If my wife complains, I'll just point to the closet where she has all her dresses and shoes.  Anyway, a score like that is worth sleeping on the couch for a few weeks... :lol: 

• I like it 1

I don't need electricity from the middle of March to the middle of May, so I mix and match $1000 without question; possibly $1500 worth!!!

• I like it 1

Definite no - Michters, PHC

Would have to think about it - Heaven Hill 27 and Elijah Craig 23

Everything else would be in my car. I think my wife would be more likely to get upset about 25+ bottles entering our house than the money. She would understand buying these when you get the rare opportunity, but less so on the need for so many more bottles of bourbon on top of all of the ones already in our house.

And I'm pretty sure after opening all of them at the store, I'd ask the owner which he would like to try and share a little to celebrate such a score. I might also ask what he did with the bottle of ORVW 25.

• I like it 2

I’d leave the HH27, the M10s, the EC23, the PHC and the RHF...everything else in the cart. 

Old Fitz 9, WLW, ER17, PVW 15, and maybe RR 2002 and FR 130th (is $150 actually retail for that now?)

Everything but the Michter's 10, Michter's 10 Rye, HH27 and the PHC would be getting squeezed into the car somehow. Good news is the bill ideally wouldn't show up for at least a week or two. This would give me more time to also buy the wife gifts to ease the pain. I can also show her all of the points we just earned to take her on a nice vacation. If I wanted to avoid all that, I would just put it on the business card that she never sees and move on drinking some very good bourbon for the next year or more!

• I like it 1

That would be an expensive trip.  I'd likely get all the Van Winkle line, BTAC's, Wellers, Four Roses, and Birthday Bourbon.

First to do some quick math offer the owner 80% of the price I come up with to take it all as a package deal after some haggling . I just realize I have become the tony Montana of bourbon , Even better that every bottle has to be opened because I’m dealing in ounces Dolla Dolla bills y’all.

Edited by Gunslinger686

Im passing on:

Elmer

Both Michters

HH 27

RR 2002

Old Fitzes

Bookers

Birthday

Parkers...

And Im not even full of it. Passed on a lot of Michters, Old Fitz, Parkers and Birthday this year...

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The Old Rip 10 is a "flip of the coin" maybe.

Might be the most bourbon zen post I've seen lately.  Wait, no second.  GeeTen's PW 23 gifting was fantastic.

I think I would be firing on all 5 of the BTAC and likely the entire PVW line plus the CYPB.  If I could talk myself out of the 23 year I would, just not sure I can pass it up at MSRP.  That's probably the extent I can go without getting in too much trouble with el jefe.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Might be the most bourbon zen post I've seen lately.  Wait, no second.  GeeTen's PW 23 gifting was fantastic.

I think I would be firing on all 5 of the BTAC and likely the entire PVW line plus the CYPB.  If I could talk myself out of the 23 year I would, just not sure I can pass it up at MSRP.  That's probably the extent I can go without getting in too much trouble with el jefe.  

I know what you mean Bob. I was gonna try and mind my p's and q's this year, but...... :mellow: With retirement pending in the somewhat near future, (if all goes well) I'd probably get all the good stuff I can while the gettins' good. Especially before prices get too crazy.

Biba! Joe

I’d take all the BTAC and PVW23, because I actually like PVW23

It would probably be gone, in one glorious night though (the PVW23). 

The saz 18 I would most likely regret spending $100 on later. 

I miss the old tanked stuff.  A lot.

Edited by 0895

RR2002, because I'm becoming more of a Turkey fan and really want to try it.  ER17 and Saz because I got the other BTAC's this year.  Pappy 15 and Pappy 20 because I like them and the prices are too good to pass up.  VW Rye, just because.  Toss in two of the OWA store picks for the heck of it, and I'm still walking out of there for less than a grand.  My wife would understand, and I'd definitely share a pour (or two) with the owner.  His choice.

Let's see, I'm going for the following:

-ETL: had it before and like it

-CEHT BP: never had it but love the standard CEHT

-CEHT FG: never tried it

-All BTAC minus the Saz 18: love 'em all especially the GTS

-PVW 15: just because

-VWFRR: another just because

I'd be thinking hard about the RR 2002...love Wild Turkey products, but $250 is a lot of scratch.

Here's my list.  Visa is good up to $30K and I would explain to my wife that this will probably be the only chance to ever get some of these so . . .

W12 x2 - $30

ETL x2 - $35; RHF x2 - $60

EH Taylor Barrel Proof - $70; Eh Taylor Four Grain - $70

Michter's 10 Rye - $110

Old Fitz Bib 11 yr - $110;  Old Fitz Bib 9 yr - $90

Heaven Hill 27 - $400

Russel's Reserve 2002 - $250

Booker's 30th - $200

Weller CYPB - $40

Four Roses 130th - $150

Parker's Heritage Orange Curacao - $90

Elijah Craig 18 - $110; Elijah Craig 23 - $200

WLW, Stagg, ER17, THH, Saz18 - $100 each

Old Rip 10 - $60; Van Winkle Lot B - $70

Pappy 15 - $100; Pappy 20 - $170

Pappy 23 - $250; Van Winkle Rye - $120

Have a number of bottles of OWA so I pass on that.  Would pass on the Michter's 10 but grab the Rye because wifey likes rye's.  Everything else is a buy, especially the VW's, not because I think they're that great, just that they're all at retail.  My total is $3400.00.  I would also note to my wife that we will earn 4,250 airline miles on the credit card purchase.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.