What constitutes a bunker?

mwmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After seeing pics of some impressive collections on this site, I am curious as to when does an assortment of whiskies on hand crossover to become a bunker.  I currently have over 20 unopened bottles of bourbon stashed out of sight of SWMBO.  Most are singles, (1920, ETL, RHF, CEHT, OEBP, OF9Bib) but I have some multiples (OWA 4, W12 3, OE101 2).  Opened bottles in varying stages of consumption number just under 20 and include prized bottles of WLW and GTS as well as several bottles of Weller blends (60:40, 50:50, and 60:20:20).   So my question is "Does this make a bunker or is it just a sign of not enough time spent sampling with friends?"

For me it is basically not in the main cabinet that is displayed and drank from semi-daily.  There are some things in that cabinet that I don't really plan on drinking and a few multiples up there also.

There is a wooden cabinet that holds extras and some unusual stuff, a case of Weller in my closet, another half case of Weller in the garage, and a few bottles (some ETL, a W12 1.75, some BCBS beer, etc.) in a cabinet at my office at work.  The work bottles are the only ones SWMBO doesn't see but she is aware of them.

So my "bunker" is spread out.

A bunker to me is anything I have that is a multiple.  I don't consider multiple PS of KCSiB to be multiples as they will all have a slightly different taste profile.  Extra bottles of CEHT SmB, ETL, RHF, WSR, etc. constitute a bunker to me.  They are also not on display (stored under the bar or in another cabinet).

I have multiples of stuff like ECBP in the main cabinet and a few of them might be the same batch but I don't really think of them as the "bunker". 

A "bunker" is whatever YOU say it is, if you're referring to your own stash. 

If you prefer to call it a 'bunker', then it is. 

If you prefer to call it 'just a few faves in case of unforeseen circumstances, or future price increases', then that's what it is.

Most folx I know seem to start thinking about multiples of favorites as 'bunkering' ...for what that's worth.

• I like it 6

If you have one bottle stashed away somewhere that is not in the "this is what I'm drinking" cabinet, you have a bunker.

Heck, even if you don't have a bottle in that place but you know where that place is and plan to stash bottles there later, you have a bunker.

• I like it 7

Gun turrets, moats, motion alarms, and sharks with frick'n lasers.  Anything less is just some booze that got stashed somewhere.

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

For me it is basically not in the main cabinet that is displayed and drank from semi-daily. 

Yep.  My bar is upstairs and "the bunker" is down in the basement on a steel shelf.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, berto said:

Gun turrets, moats, motion alarms, and sharks with frick'n lasers.  Anything less is just some booze that got stashed somewhere.

My stash IS my bunker.  Even if I can't loop its leather strap on my belt and place the pouch inside my pants so it isn't visible.;)  Seriously, though, when I say "bunker", I'm referring to my unopened bottles awaiting my attention and all bottles I own, opened or not and remembered or not, not readily accessible - wherever they may be.

• I like it 3

There is a drinking shelf (open bottles). A staging area (next bottles up) and everything else is the bunker. Everything is in a “cubbyhole” type set of shelves. By personal rule those shelves are my limit of how many bottles I can have on hand 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

My stash IS my bunker.  Even if I can't loop its leather strap on my belt and place the pouch inside my pants so it isn't visible.;)  Seriously, though, when I say "bunker", I'm referring to my unopened bottles awaiting my attention and all bottles I own, opened or not and remembered or not, not readily accessible - wherever they may be.

Heeee-Heeeeeeeee!    "...wherever they may be."    Yer Killin' me, Harry! :lol:

• I like it 1

Your bunker is whatever you make it out to be. For me, if I have to get my ass to another floor and search for a bottle that I am looking to open. I have gone to the "bunker" to find it. 

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, flahute said:

If you have one bottle stashed away somewhere that is not in the "this is what I'm drinking" cabinet, you have a bunker.

Heck, even if you don't have a bottle in that place but you know where that place is and plan to stash bottles there later, you have a bunker.

I consider the front seat of the truck to be a bunker if it has an un open bottle on it. 

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I consider the front seat of the truck to be a bunker if it has an un open bottle on it. 

Wow! How the heck were you able to post using Mako’s account Harry?  :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I'm with the "it's anything you say it is" crowd, but generally I consider it to be unopened bottles, wherever they may be, however many there are, whatever locations they may reside, whether they're duplicates, multiples, etc.  My "bunker" is in 7 different places in my house.

55 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

That works!

Basically every room in my apartment, though there is no booze in my bedroom at the moment, or the bathroom unless you count the mouthwash!

13 hours ago, flahute said:

This is my definition too. If it’s on my bar it’s not a part of the “bunker”. Anything g else is. 

Interesting question.

The term "bunker" derives of course from a place you go to ride out a threatening circumstance, until the threat has passed.

So - I would say you have a bunker when you have stashed away enough bottles to sit out an undesirable industry trend (such as current price gouging) entirely, without changing your normal drinking rate/habits.

If you've got a few bottles in a closet, you've got spares. I think a bunker is something of a bigger scale.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Wow! How the heck were you able to post using Mako’s account Harry?  :lol:

Biba! Joe

Not cross posting, just birds of a feather.  Like on that WT thread that just started.:ph34r:  Besides, I don't own a truck.  I have a Jeep, though, with that neat compartmented tray under the loading area.

Still couple schools of thought from posts...

1) the bunker is ‘the place’ your bottles go in

2) the bunker is ‘the bottles’, not the place 

so which is it?

Q:  What constitutes a bunker?

A:  Any quantity of bottles in storage that the wife makes a stink face or negative comment about.

Luckily, I can remind mine that she enjoys it too. ;)

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Still couple schools of thought from posts...

1) the bunker is ‘the place’ your bottles go in

2) the bunker is ‘the bottles’, not the place 

so which is it?

Mine is a bit of both.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

That works!

There is also the 200 ml ‘batwing’ of 101 in my shaving kit for ‘emergency purposes’. That counts too, right?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.