What constitutes a bunker?

mwmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

There is also the 200 ml ‘batwing’ of 101 in my shaving kit for ‘emergency purposes’. That counts too, right?

Yes.

IMO, whatever's not out on the bar, is the bunker! 

I'm currently up to about 7 of 'em....;)

• I like it 1

Q:  What constitutes a bunker?

A:  Any quantity of bottles in storage that the wife makes a stink face or negative comment about.

Then I clearly have a bunker!
  • I like it 1

16 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Interesting question.

The term "bunker" derives of course from a place you go to ride out a threatening circumstance, until the threat has passed.

So - I would say you have a bunker when you have stashed away enough bottles to sit out an undesirable industry trend (such as current price gouging) entirely, without changing your normal drinking rate/habits.

If you've got a few bottles in a closet, you've got spares. I think a bunker is something of a bigger scale.

My 300 bottles is plenty for the next decade or so.  My bunker is also spread out in many cabinets, basement, books & crannies

• I like it 2

If you have one bottle stashed away somewhere that is not in the "this is what I'm drinking" cabinet, you have a bunker.
Heck, even if you don't have a bottle in that place but you know where that place is and plan to stash bottles there later, you have a bunker.

Interesting question.

The term "bunker" derives of course from a place you go to ride out a threatening circumstance, until the threat has passed.

So - I would say you have a bunker when you have stashed away enough bottles to sit out an undesirable industry trend (such as current price gouging) entirely, without changing your normal drinking rate/habits.

If you've got a few bottles in a closet, you've got spares. I think a bunker is something of a bigger scale.

I like both of these definitions. The definition flahute provided is what I consider as mine as well.

The circumstances that The Black Tot mentioned is why every bunker under the definition of flahute exists. No one would have a bunker if they knew they could get any bottle they desired without fears of future price hikes or the product being discontinued or hard to come by.
  • I like it 1

Paul’s literal interpretation of bunker brings me back to remember the most impressive bunker I have ever seen.  That is, the underground, dug by hand through and into the hard limestone rock of Kentucky, 30’X20’X8’, packed with whiskies of every conceivable type, age, provenance and quality, bunker of Doug Philips.  Now, THAT was a BUNKER!!!   ?

• I like it 5

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Paul’s literal interpretation of bunker brings me back to remember the most impressive bunker I have ever seen.  That is, the underground, dug by hand through and into the hard limestone rock of Kentucky, 30’X20’X8’, packed with whiskies of every conceivable type, age, provenance and quality, bunker of Doug Philips.  Now, THAT was a BUNKER!!!   ?

Got any photos?

Im one of those people that eats one food at a time on my plate most of the time .ive got 2-3 bottles open but only work on one usually til its gone. So pretty much everything except the current 1-3 is my bunker. 

25 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Got any photos?

Dougdog would graciously open his home to the bourbon community at KBF time, where he would cook up a spread of great food, open his liquor cabinet wide, and make front porch sittin’, talkin’, smokin’, and, drinkin’, a fine art.  It was during these that I saw it, but I don’t have pics.  But, I know some were taken, and they may be in the archives here on SB.  Probably, a search  for Dougdog+Bunker+Dig+Amazeballs! might yield something!  :D  

On 1/19/2019 at 12:20 PM, 0895 said:

Q:  What constitutes a bunker?

A:  Any quantity of bottles in storage that the wife makes a stink face or negative comment about.

Luckily, I can remind mine that she enjoys it too. ;)

THIS!  And, my bunker just got smaller.  She pointed to a bunker annex I recently (late DEC) created on a shelf we cleaned out early DEC in the pantry (fancy name for the laundry room area devoted to cans and boxes of food) that she can't reach.  She discovered the annex while looking for oven cleaner.  So, I swapped the visible bourbon with non-bourbon liqueurs she's asked me to buy over the months/years - She says, "Oh, look.  Here's a cocktail made with Nocino, a walnut liqueur.  Let's buy some and try it."  I say, "[Nothing.]"  I don't argue when she sends me to the liquor store to buy a 750 ml of something it'll take us years to use up as it gives me one more flavor to add to clunker bourbons I bought on my own.  AND, as in this case, it gives me a bottle to prominently display when a stink face/negative comment arises.:D  Forty-fifth wedding anniversary is in this coming May; truth be told, I think she's onto me.  Just got told we are going to lunch last week of JAN near Bassin's Spirits on MacArthur Blvd. to "replenish" our liqueur supply for the upcoming Summer.  Bassin's has a nice bourbon selection, and she KNOWS it.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mako254 said:

There is also the 200 ml ‘batwing’ of 101 in my shaving kit for ‘emergency purposes’. That counts too, right?

I keep 4 of those in my "quart-sized" bag for airport security. I have no other liquids that travel with me but those!

On 1/20/2019 at 9:26 AM, smokinjoe said:

On 1/20/2019 at 9:27 AM, FasterHorses said:

Got any photos?

I have pictures from 2012 of Doug's basement, which was not only impressive but the most AMAZING sight I've ever seen. Doug let us take pictures with the understanding that they were not to be made public on any website, social media, etc. and I'm going to stand by his wishes.

However....... if any of you are coming to Bardstown in April, I'll have my laptop with me and would be happy to show you these pics. They are truly mind blowing!

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.