Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New Year, New thread, New Orleans drink.  The Sazerac, courtesy of Regan’s “Joy of Mixology” book.  

May the Cocktail Hour commence.

DC86161D-5919-4681-804D-64BBA139C199.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
Spelling
  • I like it 2

Negroni +Salted roasted peanuts = Delizioso y’all.  

28440120-F6FC-4D9F-989E-745767795720.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Negroni +Salted roasted peanuts = Delizioso y’all.  

28440120-F6FC-4D9F-989E-745767795720.jpeg

You are killing me right now! I love the Negroni but I'm on a Keto diet right now. Bourbon is still allowed but the only cocktail that works on this diet is the Vesper. (Which ani't bad by any means but man how I love a good Negroni).

I will live vicariously through you my bro.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:02 PM, flahute said:

You are killing me right now! I love the Negroni but I'm on a Keto diet right now. Bourbon is still allowed but the only cocktail that works on this diet is the Vesper. (Which ani't bad by any means but man how I love a good Negroni).

I will live vicariously through you my bro.

(In my best Connery 007 brogue...). Say, Agent Flahute, I always enjoy a finely crafted Vesper, myself.  Particularly, on a sunny and 67 degree February day.  Of course, shaken not stirred.  What say you and I gather a satchel of the ingredients, pick up Moneypenny and Pussy Galore, and give them a good shagging? How about you let me have Moneypenny this time?  

:D

DA0CCC33-AE49-41D5-8AB1-7F44EE170A51.jpeg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

(In my best Connery 007 brogue...). Say, Agent Flahute, I always enjoy a finely crafted Vesper, myself.  Particularly, on a sunny and 67 degree February day.  Of course, shaken not stirred.  What say you and I gather a satchel of the ingredients, pick up Moneypenny and Pussy Galore, and give them a good shagging? How about you let me have Moneypenny this time?  

:D

DA0CCC33-AE49-41D5-8AB1-7F44EE170A51.jpeg

I am good with this plan. Heading to the bar right now for that drink. 

After a warm up beer, it’s on to a TANSTAAFL2 special, The Trans-Atlantic Giant.  Or, more affectionately known as:

The SmokinmuthahfuckinJoe.  :D

3C0D1F73-7C2E-42DE-9F2D-3C2AC5514DF6.jpeg

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

After a warm up beer, it’s on to a TANSTAAFL2 special, The Trans-Atlantic Giant.  Or, more affectionately known as:

The SmokinmuthahfuckinJoe.  :D

DUDE!!!    You are truly lining life when you, a former BOTY, have a fabulous cocktail named personally after you, particularly if so named by the former BOTY; TANSTAAFL2!

I believe there is a law that states that one Rob Roy must be consumed somewhere in the US every month of the calendar year.  May I go on record that I have covered February for the team...

Gary Regan in his cocktail book calls for Peychaud’s Bitters and an addition of a cherry to this cocktail, where my Boston’s goes just Scotch and Sweet Vermouth.  I went with the Regan variant, and it seems to work.   

26FB145C-8095-452F-9D97-3E73CD3F44D1.jpeg

Another TANSTAAFL2 special for me while cooking up some potato soup, and watching OSU-IU College hoops:

The Arbitrary Nature of Time.  

BD37AF2B-3158-4619-AAE4-38E3F20A3AA0.jpeg

On 2/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, smokinjoe said:

Another TANSTAAFL2 special for me while cooking up some potato soup, and watching OSU-IU College hoops:

The Arbitrary Nature of Time.  

BD37AF2B-3158-4619-AAE4-38E3F20A3AA0.jpeg

I remember this one from Sampler a few years back. I think I had two of them. A new classic.

I go hot and cold on bourbon or rye cocktails. Not sure I have made one in a couple years, and I don't know why. I really like a Manhattan or old fashioned. 

Last night, Amy and I went to Jag's for a nice meal. The cocktail of the evening was an old fashioned made with Larceny and house made cherry bitters. It was so good, I had 2.

So, this afternoon, I made a little simple syrup with cane sugar, a couple ounces of HMBIB and some Angostura orange bitters, and orange rind. Dang, I'm back into cocktails again. 

• I like it 1

Last year tried a 'white cocktail' as a means of finishing off some white dog I had bought for other purposes (mainly to compare/contrast to the Mt. Vernon George Washington Unaged Rye whiskey I bought there - which by the way was WAY better than the HH Trybox Rye or BT Rye Mashbill white dogs).  It wasn't great, but had it on my 'to do' list to try others.

Tonight did a side by side of two different 'white whiskey cocktail' recipes:  a White Manhattan (left), and a White Dog Old Fashioned (right).

IMG_20190227_182812.thumb.jpg.96f37f87644c8b075e4d3eb1cb92b59b.jpg

I absolutely preferred the White Manhattan, which while definitely different from a typical Manhattan, had a familial resemblance - and at the end of the day - was fairly tasty!  Not sure I'd order this over a typical Manhattan, but think I discovered how to enjoy the remainder of the white dog I have on hand.

The White Dog Old Fashioned - unimpressed with, which wasn't a surprise.  With so few other components (which is great when the base bourbon or whiskey can be the star), if you don't like white dog straight up - there isn't enough of a change here; at least not for me.

For anyone interested, the recipe for the White Manhattan is:

1.5 oz White Whiskey (white dog, etc)

1/2 oz Blanc Vermouth (I used Dolin)

1/2 oz Benedictine

3 dashes orange bitters

Now the recipe called for stirring with ice, and then straining - which I ignored (I enjoy the cocktail 'evolving' as the ice melts over time, so I just threw in the ice, stirred, and enjoyed).  I did add a cherry just because.

The White Dog Old Fashioned recipe (which I didn't care for) was:

2 oz White Dog

1 tsp simple syrup

3 dashes orange bitters

Again - for me, just not enough of a departure from straight up white dog - which I'm not a big fan of.

I'll definitely be polishing off the rest of my HH Try Box Rye and BT Rye Mash White Dog with the White Manhattan recipe above!

• I like it 2

Relegated to the garage as rain is moving through, but a gorgeous Boulevardier to start the weekend.

602AE187-6374-4805-8D11-04F46CC38E67.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 2/27/2019 at 4:29 PM, GaryT said:

Last year tried a 'white cocktail' as a means of finishing off some white dog I had bought for other purposes (mainly to compare/contrast to the Mt. Vernon George Washington Unaged Rye whiskey I bought there - which by the way was WAY better than the HH Trybox Rye or BT Rye Mashbill white dogs).  It wasn't great, but had it on my 'to do' list to try others.

Tonight did a side by side of two different 'white whiskey cocktail' recipes:  a White Manhattan (left), and a White Dog Old Fashioned (right).

IMG_20190227_182812.thumb.jpg.96f37f87644c8b075e4d3eb1cb92b59b.jpg

I absolutely preferred the White Manhattan, which while definitely different from a typical Manhattan, had a familial resemblance - and at the end of the day - was fairly tasty!  Not sure I'd order this over a typical Manhattan, but think I discovered how to enjoy the remainder of the white dog I have on hand.

The White Dog Old Fashioned - unimpressed with, which wasn't a surprise.  With so few other components (which is great when the base bourbon or whiskey can be the star), if you don't like white dog straight up - there isn't enough of a change here; at least not for me.

For anyone interested, the recipe for the White Manhattan is:

1.5 oz White Whiskey (white dog, etc)

1/2 oz Blanc Vermouth (I used Dolin)

1/2 oz Benedictine

3 dashes orange bitters

Now the recipe called for stirring with ice, and then straining - which I ignored (I enjoy the cocktail 'evolving' as the ice melts over time, so I just threw in the ice, stirred, and enjoyed).  I did add a cherry just because.

The White Dog Old Fashioned recipe (which I didn't care for) was:

2 oz White Dog

1 tsp simple syrup

3 dashes orange bitters

Again - for me, just not enough of a departure from straight up white dog - which I'm not a big fan of.

I'll definitely be polishing off the rest of my HH Try Box Rye and BT Rye Mash White Dog with the White Manhattan recipe above!

Fantastic! I have some white dog I don't know what to do with and now I know.

• I like it 1

So I had a strange cocktail in an unexpected place - Starbucks. Starbucks is almost a curse word in Seattle so they've upped their game with these special locations called Starbucks Reserve Roastery.

They will make you coffee in any possible way that coffee can be brewed. They even have methods you didn't know existed. 

The coffee beans they have here are exclusive to these locations and are VERY different than what you expect Starbucks to have.

They also have a bar and have a number of cocktail recipes that use coffee. I was intrigued so I tried this:

The Reserve Boulevardier

IMG_5714.JPG

Here's the ingredients being poured over the coffee:

IMG_5709.JPG

I was intriguing and pretty darn good. 

Edited by flahute
  • I like it 1

A before dinner Old Fashioned with OGD bonded, Angostura bitters, Fee Brothers cherry bitters and a big fat square ice cube. 

Weekend blast off with a Negroni.

3CC760E4-A15B-4466-AA01-346A9BFA18E5.jpeg

On 3/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, smokinjoe said:

Weekend blast off with a Negroni.

3CC760E4-A15B-4466-AA01-346A9BFA18E5.jpeg

I wait in anticipation for your next cocktail reveal.

16 hours ago, flahute said:

I wait in anticipation for your next cocktail reveal.

Oui!  :D

A Sidecar to get this weekend started.  I in turn, wait in anticipation of Bruce’s cocktails at SB Sampler Back 40 cookout!!  

(That F$&?!&!!!!!! Y’all just heard was the start of Bruce cursing me....  :) ). 

PS:  I can’t explain it, but a coupe glass somehow really makes some cocktails taste better...I got this one from Mrssmokinjoe for my birthday, and it’s become a go to on many occasions.

71C686A7-26F2-454D-A55F-82962CE00878.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 3/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, flahute said:

So I had a strange cocktail in an unexpected place - Starbucks. Starbucks is almost a curse word in Seattle so they've upped their game with these special locations called Starbucks Reserve Roastery.

They will make you coffee in any possible way that coffee can be brewed. They even have methods you didn't know existed. 

The coffee beans they have here are exclusive to these locations and are VERY different than what you expect Starbucks to have.

They also have a bar and have a number of cocktail recipes that use coffee. I was intrigued so I tried this:

The Reserve Boulevardier

IMG_5714.JPG

Here's the ingredients being poured over the coffee:

IMG_5709.JPG

I was intriguing and pretty darn good. 

Wow, when did Starbucks start getting into selling cocktails? I have do admit that sounds intriguing. From what I can see of the cocktail list, it actually looks pretty good. 

40 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Oui!  :D

A Sidecar to get this weekend started.  I in turn, wait in anticipation of Bruce’s cocktails at SB Sampler Back 40 cookout!!  

(That F$&?!&!!!!!! Y’all just heard was the start of Bruce cursing me....  :) ). 

PS:  I can’t explain it, but a coupe glass somehow really makes some cocktails taste better...I got this one from Mrssmokinjoe for my birthday, and it’s become a go to on many occasions.

71C686A7-26F2-454D-A55F-82962CE00878.jpeg

Whoa......yes please on that Delord Armagnac Sidecar! 

• I like it 1

Simple, but hard to beat. WT101, Angostura, simple syrup, 2 orange twists, 1 lemon twist, and a Luxardo cherry.

IMG_0981.jpg

I just spent a few days in New Orleans and, of course, had some good cocktails. I think the best was an absinthe at The Old Absinthe House. Man, did she give a healthy pour. My second favorite was a house-named cocktail at Toup's South, a grog with two rums, tea, two kinds of bitters, and lime. Several others were pretty good, too.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.