Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight was a sazerac.  Had a good one in New Orleans last week.  It was a little sweeter than I was normally making mine, so I went with a little more simple syrup today.  Yum.

1 part 4RYL, 1 part Simply Limeade plus a dash of Cherry Heering. Dang, this is dangerously good. Last year I was doing the same but Simply Lemonade instead of Limeade. I think I'm more on the Limeade train. 

Larceny, Campari, sweet vermouth and a fat cube. 

1553374049159-1401082621.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

Kirkland bourbon and Diet Pepsi. Not really my thing but when your golf host hands you a cocktail you don’t argue.

• I like it 1

Enjoying a Veaux Carre this evening.  I have to say it is my favorite cocktail but is also the most complicated drink I ever make. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying a White Manhattan tonight, as allergies are getting in the way of me enjoying anything with nuance, but after a long day at work - daddy deserves a little something

Really enjoying this, and may have to look at experimenting with non-white whiskey (I think the Benedictine adds an interesting element that might work fine with a lower proof/younger bourbon).

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoying a White Manhattan tonight, as allergies are getting in the way of me enjoying anything with nuance, but after a long day at work - daddy deserves a little something

Really enjoying this, and may have to look at experimenting with non-white whiskey (I think the Benedictine adds an interesting element that might work fine with a lower proof/younger bourbon).

Going with an aged rye and Benedictine begins to drift into Vieux Carre territory. A favorite variation on the Vieux Carre is the Windsor Knot. But both of those also use Cognac.

Drinks that use a whiskey, usually rye, along with vermouth and Benedictine plus a few other additions would include a Cocktail a la Louisuane, a “Monks Manhattan” or an obscure one called the “Heim Lick” which is pretty straight forward although I have no idea why it is called that! The Gramercy also falls into the general family.

• I like it 1

Hmm, maybe there is a Sampler cocktail idea in that bunch!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Going with an aged rye and Benedictine begins to drift into Vieux Carre territory. A favorite variation on the Vieux Carre is the Windsor Knot. But both of those also use Cognac.

Drinks that use a whiskey, usually rye, along with vermouth and Benedictine plus a few other additions would include a Cocktail a la Louisuane, a “Monks Manhattan” or an obscure one called the “Heim Lick” which is pretty straight forward although I have no idea why it is called that! The Gramercy also falls into the general family.

I love it when you talk cocktails.

• I like it 1

So, Jeffrey Morgenthaler has made the Amaretto Sour “awesome”.  How?  By cutting back the Ameretto a bit and replacing with Cask Strength bourbon for a 2:1 ratio.  1oz Lemon juice, 1tsp rich simple syrup, and dollop of whisked egg whites.  Shaken in a frenzy and strained into rocks glass with cherry and lemon “tweest” (think Serge from “Beverly Hills Cop for effect, here...) for garnish.  

I was too lazy to do the whisked egg thing, and subbed DiSarranno for Luxardo on the amaretto, but I went with Geo. T. Stagg over his Booker’s recommendation...So, I Win...  

Very tasty at the end end of a long week.  

C2E2047F-CEDE-4EE7-A5AC-7AF0504239AE.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Kaboom!

0921181132a.jpg

That does look explosive. I'm becoming a big fan of chocolate bitters myself. Had an old fashioned tweaked with chocolate bitters and a dash of tobacco+grain alcohol infusion the other day, good stuff.

Also was in the mood for a little sour in my whiskey last night; settled on a Suckling Sour.  My recipe called for agave syrup, but was just fine with simple syrup as a sub.  2 oz bacon-infused bourbon, 3/4 oz simple syrup, and 1 oz lemon juice.  Throw into a shaker with an egg white and some cubes, get to shaking for 30-40 seconds (which I believe counts as exercise), and strained into a glass.  

Sucking_Sour.thumb.jpg.cc886419efad80c87fb55e370fb3fcd6.jpg

Not Bourbon, but as the weather has starting warming up, I've been enjoying this:

1 part Jameson IPA Edition

2 dashes Orange Bitters

2 1/2 to 3 parts Tonic Water

Slight squeeze of lemon and garnish with lemon peel or slice

It came from Jameson's website last year. It has no name, but I've been calling it the Irish Spring.

• I like it 3

Spice, sweet, nice. The pecan liqueur will overpower so just used a tsp. Not a big rye fan, but had to try it and loved it.

Cheers.

0407190857a-1.jpg

• I like it 1

This was better than I expected. But the Maraska maraschino liqueur is a great mixer. Much better than Luxardo. The smoked bourbon sugar sprinkled on the ice ball made it sweet and Smokey at the end.

BP rye

Maraska maraschino liqueur

Woodford chocolate bitters

Simple syrup

Lime slice

Smoked bourbon sugar

Yeow....

0409191929.jpg

My favorite cocktail glass. 2oz WT RYE, 1/2 teaspoon simple syrup, 1 dash Angostura, 3 dashes orange bitters, and one big round cube.

1555113815589-1390233998.jpg

All the talk in the other thread got me a hankerin’ a bourbon and Coke.  WT 101 is the bourbon in this one.

FADAF452-C5F8-4583-959C-E6C61FBB606E.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

All the talk in the other thread got me a hankerin’ a bourbon and Coke.  WT 101 is the bourbon in this one.

FADAF452-C5F8-4583-959C-E6C61FBB606E.jpeg

You can't see it but I just tipped my cap to you.

• 3 weeks later...

The horseys are comin’!  The horseys are comin’!!

Early Times BIB Bourbon, and my own mint.  

2D9283B5-2435-4455-8845-866EC486D824.jpeg

• I like it 1

Not the correct vessel nor the correct ratio of ingredients, but it's perfect for me while I wait for the ponies on this beautiful afternoon. 

20190504_131556.jpg

20190504_132657.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.