Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It’s Cinco de Mayo and my anniversary. So my wife and I continue our tradition of crushing the first bag of limes of the season.

Cheers!
IMG_2197.jpg

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, BigRich said:

It’s Cinco de Mayo and my anniversary. So my wife and I continue our tradition of crushing the first bag of limes of the season.

Cheers!
IMG_2197.jpg

Nice!  However, I have this picture of you barefoot stomping in a vat of limes...and it ain’t pretty.  :D

Nice!  However, I have this picture of you barefoot stomping in a vat of limes...and it ain’t pretty.  [emoji3]

If I did it that way it would be one stomp and a whole lotta bustin’ ass.
  • I like it 1

I now know what I'll do with the rest of this OBSF. I'm not a fan of it neat, but some muddled mint and simple syrup make it sing. 

20190505_182524.jpg

• I like it 1

I mixed it up a bit this year, as my derby mint julep's were a 50/50 mix of simple syrup and baby Saz.  I muddled the mint in the glass then discarded it.  Poured the mix over crushed ice and ran with it. 

No one seemed to mind...

• I like it 1

The great TANSTAAFL2’s Foster & Third as enjoyed during SB Sampler, and replicated here.  No Maraschino liqueur, so subbed Heering.  

From the Master:

Foster and Third was the name I gave to a Toronto cocktail riff called Avenue & Davenport 

1 ½ oz. rye whiskey ½ oz. bourbon ½ oz. Cynar ¼ oz. maraschino liqueur ¼ oz. Fernet-Branca
Combine ingredients with ice, stir. Strain into a cocktail coupe.

Delicious!  

656A8A19-F2F6-4D30-A4DF-11570654A3CB.jpeg

On 5/9/2019 at 2:23 PM, smokinjoe said:

The great TANSTAAFL2’s Foster & Third as enjoyed during SB Sampler, and replicated here.  No Maraschino liqueur, so subbed Heering.  

From the Master:

Foster and Third was the name I gave to a Toronto cocktail riff called Avenue & Davenport 

1 ½ oz. rye whiskey ½ oz. bourbon ½ oz. Cynar ¼ oz. maraschino liqueur ¼ oz. Fernet-Branca
Combine ingredients with ice, stir. Strain into a cocktail coupe.

Delicious!  

656A8A19-F2F6-4D30-A4DF-11570654A3CB.jpeg

Fernet tends to take over any drink I've tried it in. How is it in this one?

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Fernet tends to take over any drink I've tried it in. How is it in this one?

I know that feeling.  I always have to be careful with Campari in my Negronis and Boulevardiers.  The Fernet plays nice in this cocktail, probably because there’s enough Rye and bourbon in there to keep it in check.  Nice herbal notes, nonetheless.  BTW, I did pick up a bottle of the Luxardo maraschino liqueur in order  to be more pure.  Definitely, less syrupy sweet, and as would be expected from its creator, is better for this cocktail.  

Grilling salmon and burgers, grilled peppers and corn on the cob, caprese salad for mother's day. She's relaxing because it's her day, so I have some help with Bookers, batch 2015-6, Maraska maraschino liqueur, angostura bitters. It might just be mother's day again all day tomorrow!

Took a break on bourbon today for something different.  Sobiesky vodka (love that it is rye based), Cedilla Acai liqueur, chocolate bitters and of course 2 garlic stuffed olives.

0515191938a.jpg

This weekend I tried my first Bourbon Cold Brewed Coffee. 

Drop a big cube in the glass

add a little bit of maple syrup

6 oz Trader Joe’s Cold Brewed Coffee

2 oz whiskey

top with a bit of heavy cream

stir 

top with a dash of cinnamon

Angel's envy, rittenhouse, amaro, benedictine, vermouth, italicus rosolio, tobacco. Very interesting and potent.

IMG_20190516_163940.jpg

My favorite cocktail glass,  a fat cube, Rye, bitters,  and a few cherries. A lovely Saturday night. Cheers!

20190518_194956.jpg

• I like it 4

Starting the long weekend with the notorious cocktail: 

The SmokinmuthahfuckinJoe...  :D

393C4BCA-6F85-4F08-8CEB-A90B1872E690.jpeg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Starting the long weekend with the notorious cocktail: 

The SmokinmuthahfuckinJoe...  :D

393C4BCA-6F85-4F08-8CEB-A90B1872E690.jpeg

JOE!!  I don't see no bacon strip.  Are you slipping????

16 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

JOE!!  I don't see no bacon strip.  Are you slipping????

I know, right!  :D

I’ll make good with y’all this weekend!

• I like it 1

"Beam on the Beach" before a smoked whole chicken, faro salad, and corn fritters.  Clyde's Restaurant Group in WashDC offers a cocktail in Summer called "Beam on the Beach".  While they make theirs with Beam 8 Star (a 75% neutral spirits and 25% whiskey, hence officially a "blended whiskey"), I make mine with JB BIB or OGD BIB.

EDIT - In a 7 to 10 ounce Collins glass, put

One part bourbon

One-half part Cointreau/Patron Orange/similar

six ice cubes

fill half the remaining space with lemonade and the other half with Sprite

Pace yourself or you won't make dessert.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
EDIT tells you what size glass to put this in. BIGGER is better.

Celebrating after finally getting my father-in-law's apartment cleaned out.

My favorite rocks glass, a fat cube, bourbon, bitters, and cherries. Cheers!

20190529_184145.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 3

Celebrating after finally getting my father-in-law's apartment cleaned out.

My favorite rocks glass, a fat cube, bourbon, bitters, and cherries. Cheers!
20190529_184145.thumb.jpg.6ac517806b64ebba93e514aa26b4b385.jpg

Phil, I’m going to have to try using the cherries instead of simple syrup in my old fashioned one of these days. That just looks like a better way to go.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

Phil, I’m going to have to try using the cherries instead of simple syrup in my old fashioned one of these days. That just looks like a better way to go.

You won't be disappointed Jeff. I have done this for awhile and I love it. But, I'm a sucker for cherries. The Luxardo cherries are sweet and yummy, so I find no need for simple syrup. I found an online store that sells the Luxardos for $13, which makes it a no brainer for me.

• I like it 1

A beautiful Sunday morning in Ohio. Breakfast with over easy eggs, hash browns, bacon, and this:

-dust the rim with celery salt

-a couple oz Mellow Corn

-some Zing Zang mix

-a few dashes of Beau Monde  seasoning

-a few dashes of Holy Shitfire Chipotle Bitters 

-a few dashes of Celery bitters 

-a couple strips of smoked bacon

Cheers!!

20190602_091954.jpg

• I like it 3

38 minutes ago, Phil T said:

A beautiful Sunday morning in Ohio. Breakfast with over easy eggs, hash browns, bacon, and this:

-dust the rim with celery salt

-a couple oz Mellow Corn

-some Zing Zang mix

-a few dashes of Beau Monde  seasoning

-a few dashes of Holy Shitfire Chipotle Bitters 

-a few dashes of Celery bitters 

-a couple strips of smoked bacon

Cheers!!

20190602_091954.jpg

Just another dang great reason why you’re BOTY!!  :D

Did a several pound, 2+ inch thick rib eye on the grill last night (see the what did you grill thread for a pic if you are so inclined).  With the meat, we had asparagus and, I think, some salad.  I was sipping on the last ounce or so of my latest JD BP so didn't pay attention to the sides.  It was to celebrate 45 years of wedded bliss (38 of which, my wife says, are the best years of her life hahahaha).  Anyway, the cocktail she picked out was:

Diamondback Lounge Cocktail

1.5 oz. rye whiskey (Ritt is usual but I used Pikesville 110)

0.75 oz. "apple jack" (I used Laird's Bonded 100 proof; use a "real" straight apple jack even an 80 proof apple brandy instead of neutral spirits plus apple stuff)

0.75 oz. Yellow Chartreuse

Old Fashioned glass over ice after shaking all the stuff with some ice just a little

"Diamondback Lounge" refers to the Lord Baltimore Hotel lounge and honors the diamondback terrapin which is native to Maryland; it has nothing to do with a snake.

• I like it 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, Phil T said:

You won't be disappointed Jeff. I have done this for awhile and I love it. But, I'm a sucker for cherries. The Luxardo cherries are sweet and yummy, so I find no need for simple syrup. I found an online store that sells the Luxardos for $13, which makes it a no brainer for me.

Where are you getting Luxardo cherries for $13.00??  If it's against the rules to post here, please shoot a PM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.