Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally figured out what to do with the BT mash bill #1 white dog.  I mixed some with lemonade.  I got the idea from A Craftsman's Legacy tv show.  On one episode the host visited a guy that makes small copper moonshine stills from scratch.  At the end of the show they mixed the home made stuff with lemonade.

If you have white dog to get rid of, I suggest this.  It tastes pretty good.  That raw bread dough smell does hang around, but it's tolerable.

Made some Belmont Jewels today. There wasn't as much excitement for the Belmont Stakes this year for obvious reasons so I wasn't compelled to make them yesterday while watching the race.

Nevertheless, tradition states that I make them at some point during the weekend so I saved it for having some neighbors over tonight and it was our pre dinner cocktail.

Grilled some thick pork chops which were so, so good. 

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe took me out to Local 3 for Fathers Day Dinner, and enjoying their house cocktail “Three Widows and One Divorcee”.  Old Forester, Peach Syrup, Lemon Juice, and a Lemon Slice.  Great with the charcuterie!

6D25843C-DDA9-46EB-8C0B-458FD4ACBD94.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 6/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, smokinjoe said:

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe took me out to Local 3 for Fathers Day Dinner, and enjoying their house cocktail “Three Widows and One Divorcee”.  Old Forester, Peach Syrup, Lemon Juice, and a Lemon Slice.  Great with the charcuterie!

A curious name. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the drink itself! Must have been a name that they just thought was "cute" and wanted to use.

A very simple cocktail to end the weekend. Maker's 46 and a few dashes of coffee -pecan bitters. The buttery, vanilla, toffee bourbon combined with the bitters makes for a delightful, easy sipping drink. I'm probably going to have 2. :)

• I like it 1

We took some watermelon to a cookout this afternoon. After using the melon baller on my halved melon, I got the emulsion blender out and made some watermelon juice. I mixed that with some OGD BiB. It's very refreshing. I contemplated meddling some mint, but I decided against it. Maybe tomorrow. 

20190616_185431.jpg

19 hours ago, Phil T said:

A very simple cocktail to end the weekend. Maker's 46 and a few dashes of coffee -pecan bitters. The buttery, vanilla, toffee bourbon combined with the bitters makes for a delightful, easy sipping drink. I'm probably going to have 2. :)

BOTY wisdom right here.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

A curious name. Doesn't seem to have much to do with the drink itself! 

Well, here’s a cocktail that has a curious name and fits perfectly for its namesake! 

The notorious, Smokinmuthahfuckinjoe!  :D

The girls are all out this evening, so it’s just me on the patio, a porterhouse, the grill, Braves on the radio, and the SMFJ.  Not sayin’ this combo would be good every night, but it’s all sure working right now... ;)

9F05E16D-6B3C-4606-BAAD-DA05A93D5E75.jpeg

• I like it 2

Not the most sophisticated of cocktails, but I do enjoy some Citron and Sodas while at the beach.  The Absolut distributor had a good week...  :D

9EA829EF-EB6A-468C-ACAD-418B574DB449.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe

Had a giant bourbon and ginger while on the river tubing yesterday. Used some Bulleit a buddy gave my for my bday. Made for a nice day in the river.

I call it the Mellow Mary:

Dust the rim with celery salt

Mellow Corn

Bloody Mary mix

Holyshitfire bitters 

Celery bitters

Beau Monde seasoning 

Garnish w/smokey bacon strip, jalapeno stuffed 

olives

20190630_101849.jpg

Damn, Phil; that sounds wabulous!   

I might go easy on those olives as well as those bitters; but, that's just my low tolerance for that really hot stuph.

Which (if it matters to you) Bloody Mary mix do you favor?

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

I call it the Mellow Mary:

Dust the rim with celery salt

Mellow Corn

Bloody Mary mix

Holyshitfire bitters 

Celery bitters

Beau Monde seasoning 

Garnish w/smokey bacon strip, jalapeno stuffed 

olives

20190630_101849.jpg

Actually Rich, the olives and bitters don't impart as much heat as you might think. The mix is Zing Zang. It has been my go to lately. 

Fresh squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup, and 3oz of Beam Double Oak for a refreshing Bourbon Sour, Back our on the patio.  I was just getting ready to get the Luxardo cherries out of the fridge for it, when Mrssmokinjoe started asking if I could get something or another out of the attic for her.  Told her sorry, but can’t, I need to get back outside in that brutal heat, as I've got to stay close to the WSM to make sure the pork butt cooks OK...Oh, how much time is left?  Ehhh, 3...4 hours. But those are the critical ones, dear...:D

BB041339-901E-4C6B-B118-8A4E897154BA.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

This cocktail is incredibly refreshing. Tge red stuff is the leftover juice of a black diamond watermelon after I balled all the flesh from it. Now I'm hanging out with my little buddy, about to grill some pork cutlets (from a wild hog) and some brats. Mrs. Whammie is inside cooling off after we just got back from the neighborhood pool. 

Smokin'Joe, you need to try this one! 

20190713_151221.jpg

20190713_151409.jpg

• I like it 2

How about a fat cube, some maker's 46, a splash of simple syrup,  and a few dashes of strawberry bitters. 

15630591760322220825709360862162.jpg

20 hours ago, Phil T said:

How about a fat cube, some maker's 46, a splash of simple syrup,  and a few dashes of strawberry bitters. 

15630591760322220825709360862162.jpg

Damn.........that sounds amazing.

23 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

This cocktail is incredibly refreshing. Tge red stuff is the leftover juice of a black diamond watermelon after I balled all the flesh from it. Now I'm hanging out with my little buddy, about to grill some pork cutlets (from a wild hog) and some brats. Mrs. Whammie is inside cooling off after we just got back from the neighborhood pool. 

Smokin'Joe, you need to try this one! 

20190713_151221.jpg

20190713_151409.jpg

Looks like a great Summer cooker, Whammie.  I will try it!  What proportions do you use?

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Looks like a great Summer cooker, Whammie.  I will try it!  What proportions do you use?

i think it was roughly equal parts of each, but probably heavy handed with the 4R!

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

i think it was roughly equal parts of each, but probably heavy handed with the 4R!

As it should be!  :D

So hot today, didn't even want to go outside.  Vieux carre inside with a book to beat the heat.

IMG_20190721_153136707.jpg

Mrssmokinjoe and I went for dinner at one of our favorite nearby places, Taqueria Tsunami for dinner.  Had a Maker’s Mojito. I’m not sure that it was the best possible execution of what this could be, but I did double up on it!  :D

76D7786C-41D5-438D-90EC-D1369A146D6C.jpeg

I have been looking at recipes for homemade Bailey's Irish cream.  I found one and mixed up the base (no alcohol).  I figured it would be nice to use in the morning coffee.  I added 2 parts cream to 1 part Bulleit, stirred and added an ice cube.  I am assuming this is what you all refer to as a bourbon cream?  Regardless, it was really tasty.  

I am really interested in trying a couple other cocktails.  I would love to try an old fashioned.  I also have a bunch of ginger ale here.  I think the ginger ale and bourbon sounds pretty good as well.  It is fun trying new things!

Dinner at Fig in Charleston last night, and possibly the best meal I’ve had in awhile.  The cocktail of the night were a couple of Fig’s  interpretation of a Vieux Carre, which they named the Vieux Cray.  Ritt Rye, Pierre Fernando Amber Cognac, Licor 43, Punt e Mes, and Chicolate Bitters.  Delicious!

3414BB46-AF33-4A8F-8C6F-0B51CCCAB7B4.jpeg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.